Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NOW Potassium Gluconate

Posted by alangford 
NOW Potassium Gluconate
April 08, 2016 12:08AM
Any of you take this? If 595 mg of potassium gluconate only has 99 mg of actual elemental potassium, how many servings should I use at a time? 99 mg is nothing! Another bottle says 270 mg. But, that's gluconate. What's actually absorbed or useful to me is much, much lower.
Anonymous User
Re: NOW Potassium Gluconate
April 08, 2016 01:45AM
Potassium AI (Adequate Intake) for adults is 4700 mg / day [lpi.oregonstate.edu]

======================================

NOW
Potassium Gluconate Powder

Serving Size: 1/2 level teaspoon

Amount per Serving: Potassium 175 mg (from Potassium Gluconate)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 02:05AM by Moerk.
April 08, 2016 08:35AM
Hello alang, i have been using this stuff for years. The first thing to do is to keep a food diary with some free nutrient calculator like this one:

www.fitday.com

Once you can guess how much potassium [abbreviated chemically to K] is provided by the foods you normally eat, add up how much that is each day on average, and subtract that figure from 4700 mg. If you have been counting up each day for a couple weeks or so you will have noticed which foods are low or high in K. To make up the deficit, either eat more of high potassium foods and less of low potassium ones, or supplement with K gluconate in plain water, or in tea or coffee or whatever you are drinking. I've never tried it in beer, but it would not, i think,deform the taste of this beverage. If anyone has better information on combining K gluconate with beer, please will that person report to us here? Inquiring minds need to know. All of us here are intrepid experimenters, of course.

About how much to use per large glass or large cup of whatever beverage, i am still using a rounded teaspoonful. I just dump it in and stir well.

Luck to you and please tell us how it goes.

How i wish we would hear from our old friend and former regular correspondent Marshall. It was he who said he was having pac's, pvc's, xyz's, and eieio's. It struck me funny, and i am still laughing about it all these years later.

PeggyM
April 08, 2016 01:37PM
Alangford -

Formerly, with the old NOW powder, I typically took at least 3 - 4 teaspoons daily ... 540 mg/ teaspoon to augment shortfalls in dietary intake... some days even more, to reach at least 4700 mg.

With the new NOW powder equivalencies .. a teaspoon only 350, I just add another 'generous' half teaspoon to that dose to maintain close to the 540 mg.

The capsule form is very convenient for portability so I also have professional grade capsules of potassium bicarbonate + potassium glycinate complex which provide 300 mg in one capsule. If I eat away from home and to counterbalance the salt added to some foods, I typically take 2 or 3 capsules. I generally try to eat raw and as plainly as possible to avoid added salt.

As a substitute, I've also used Natural Factors Potassium citrate capsules which are limited to 99 mg each by law but are small so six don't take a lot of room in my pill carrier.

Jackie
April 09, 2016 12:58PM
I take two Klor Kon tabs each day and according to drugs.com a tablet equals 600 mg of potassium chloride I am wondering how much elemental potassium is in 600 mg. of potassium chloride.. I am thinking that this my mean I get 1200 mg of potassium from my rx. Depending on the day I get 2700 mg. from diet. Which would leave me 1800 mg deficient. Should I count the potassium iodide towards the total I get from Iodorol? If so how much does a 12.5 tablet of Iodoral count?

The Now powder I just purchased has 270 mg of potassium per half teaspoon so I should be taking roughly 3.5 t to make up the diff? No conversion to elemental potassium needed?

Sometimes I use potassium bicarbonate caps, two equals 1053 mg of potassium. The product description clearly says that this is elemental. The brand is Life enhancement. This actually seems easier than the powder but maybe there's is some advantage to spreading it out
April 09, 2016 02:51PM
Lynn - First, just a word of caution on the potassium chloride. I presume you are know that some people find the chloride version is very irritating to the stomach. Just be aware.

Good question on the miliquivalency of potassium in any of these products.

[www.drugs.com]

I checked a couple websites... found this response to this equivalency question from Swanson's on the NOW potassium gluconate powder. Products with different ligands will have different equivalencies.

Question:
Does this product contain soy? The label says that half teaspoon (1.74g) have 270mg? So how much potassium does it have? 270mg or 1.74g?

Answer:
Hi there! Thank you for your question. This powder does not contain any soy. The only ingredient is potassium from potassium gluconate. Minerals are always bound to some other element or compound. An example is the potassium gluconate. Most of the potassium gluconate is gluconate, and only about 15.5% is potassium. The term `elemental' refers to how much of the actual element, in this case potassium, is present. This product provides 1.74 grams, or 1,740 mg of potassium gluconate, yielding 270 mg of potassium. We hope this explanation is helpful to you! ~Juliana
By Swanson Health Products on December 30, 2015

Also found:

Re: mEq to mg conversion

You cannot correctly calculate the equivalent amount of your potassium tablet unless you know which potassium the tablet is. For example: Potassium gluconate contains 4.3mEq per 1000mg, Potassium citrate contains 9.8mEq per 1000mg, Potassium Bicarbonate contains 10mEq per 1000mg, Potassium Acetate contains 10.2mEq per 1000mg and Potassium Chloride contains 13.4mEq per 1000mg. K-lyte is Potassium Chloride. Note also that elemental potassium is 39mg per 1mEq, but potassium chloride is 75mg per 1mEq. Confused? join the crowd.

mEq to mg conversion

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
I am trying to convert from K-lyte potassium tablets which are 25mEq to another potassium tablet which has 40 milligrams per tablet in order to know how much of the tablet to take. please help. thank you

Response: 25 mEq k : 975 mg k per tablet
[onlineconversion.vbulletin.net]

Then there is this explanation... and at the end, there is a listing of potassium content in food. You can easily see it's better to get potassium from food sources.
[www.4hourlife.com]

ConsumerLab.com - on the topic [www.consumerlab.com]

Jackie
April 19, 2016 07:51PM
The over-the-counter potassium supplements are limited by law to about 2.5 mEq (milliequivalents, which is the dosing measure for K). The smallest prescription dosage is 10 mEq. Personally, I am on 10 mEq Kclor prescription for several years now. I do experiment with titrating upwards using the potassium gluconate OTC pills.

You do want to be far more cautious with K as opposed to Mg. Hyperkalemia (too much potassium) can be a real emergency. It causes ventricular arrythmias and ultimately cardiac arrest. I doubt you could accomplish that orally but still do not be as casual with K as you may be with Mg.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login