Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

U Uggghhh!

Posted by tsco 
U Uggghhh!
March 17, 2016 08:13PM
On day two of the flu. Lots of Ibuprofen some nite time cold and flu med. and now......runs of afib or something to go along with it
I'm trying to hydrate with Gatorade had a lsv8 any other suggestions would be great. I'm not feeling so well.
I take a 75 mg flecainide in mornings wonder if I should take another now?? No green beer for me today
Re: U Uggghhh!
March 17, 2016 08:34PM
Cold and flu meds used to always put me into afib or PACs, even post ablation i avoid them like the plague. Vit C and Zinc fizzles is my suggestion.
March 17, 2016 08:38PM
Really heather so you think those have a roll in this? I avoid the cough meds wasn't sure about ibuprofen etc
I'm in for an hour so far guess I'll see what happens
March 17, 2016 11:34PM
The first time I experienced afib was in 1992. I was fighting a really nasty cold, so I decided to try a cold remedy. I don't recall for sure but it could have been nyquil or neocitran. I am convinced it was the culprit.

Lou
March 18, 2016 01:15PM
Hi Tsco,

Any of the ephinephrine based drugs as decongestants or beta-agonist (which are opposite of beta-blockers) that are commonly found in inhalers for asthma or COPD can trigger the flippies.

Also, the flu itself with those achy fevers and heavy weakness and fatigue are class A triggers for AFIB and arrhythmia in general
for those prone to arrhythmia.

Most of the achy fluy feeling IS the very definition of a low cortisol crash (low adrenal reserve) caused by the virus and one of the best ways Ive found to nip real flues and other respiratory viruses in the bud is to hit it with hydrocortisone (HC) which IS the bio-identically pure molecular cortisol itself, and starting the dosing just as soon as the first achy fever with that 'ugh oh here it comes' wave starts to wash over you when a real viral attack is setting in.

A formula I learned from a highly experienced endocrinologist in Europe is such cases is to immediately take 10mg of HC and then 5mg more every hour until you either reach a max of 60mg in that first day or the symptoms resolve, which they usually do by around 30mg to 40 mg total of HC in a day, or even earlier if you jump on it within the first 3 hours of symptoms starting. You can do that protocol for one more day (48 hrs max) if still sick but if it hasn't worked after 48 hours then it's likely you started it too late for this to suppress the virus after the virus got entrenched.

This protocol is especially effective for those with adrenal insufficiency and is called 'stress dosing' and is often required for those with documented adrenal insufficiency for most significant stress events durimg whch times they cannot make enough cortisol even for average daily physiologic stress demands.

That's me and I have to take a normal modest physiologic dose of HC each day and stress dose at the first signs of a flu or cold coming on and 9 times out of 10 it literally stops these viral attacks right in its tracks or dramatically limits their severity and duration after the first several extra doses of HC for me.

Even though for those with typically normal adrenal/cortisol function, this protocol can also work wonders when started soon enough in a viral cycle. But that means you would have to have a small stash of HC on hand and as such, and in any event, anyone contemplating adding this protocol for early respiratory viral interruption should, and must, discuss it with your physician and emphasize the no longer than 48 hour use of the HC per episode in this fashion.

Even folks with normal adrenal function, by definition, are having a significant challenge to their ability to produce enough immune boosting cortisol in the moment when that wave of fluy fevery weakness and achiness descends on you. And this short duration and modest overall dose of HC will not cause any HPA-axis or cortisol suppression and is perfectly safe for most everyone.

A very wise adjunctive step to any use of HC is to always include a complimentary dose of the the endogenous natural hormone companion to cortisol called DHEA which you can get over the counter in the US at health food and drug stores.

This and other anabolic hormones such as adequate testosterone, estradiol for women, growth hormone and melatonin can all help counter to a good degree any mild catabolic effects from modest doses of HC ,,, just like your own fully functioning and healthy adrenal glands squirt out a complimentary dose of DHEA with every squirt of cortisol and vice versa to maintain that anabolic/catabolic balance that is so vital for true long term good health, but during a viral attack like the flu the whole adrenal system is massively stressed and can use some short term help and you are almost invariably in low supply of a good balance of these hormones for the vast majority of people over 50.

This internal formula is natures own protection and compliment to balance cortisol and keep it save within a reasonable physiologic dose of HC even long term. But no one should have to take HC long term unless there is clear evidence and documented low ongoing adrenal function.

Anyway, I've found it pays to learn to work with and support our own endogenous complimentary hormone systems rather than depend always only on pharmaceutical drugs.

Such protocols can work like a charm when properly used and under the supervision of a BHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy) enlightened physician.

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2016 05:41AM by Shannon.
March 18, 2016 05:33PM
Wow extremely interesting Shannon thanks so much. Yes I progressed with the "old" afib floppy for about two hours yesterday and then it broke on its own!! Im moving forward with my Dr. Natale appt. I think this was my sign!!!
Thanks for everything
Tim
March 19, 2016 05:58AM
For some reason I go into AFIB after withdrawal from Anti-Inflamatories. There are studies that show this correlation, but the Doctor world has not followed up on it. Between 2-8 days, usually at 4-5 days is my peak vulnerability after stopping taking Anti-Inflammatories. And i'm not talking about just several instances, about 30 documented episodes after withdrawal from both SAID and NSAID Anti-Inflammatories.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login