Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Disability Opinions

Posted by tsco 
Disability Opinions
January 19, 2016 07:49PM
Hey folks, Happy to say I havent had another sustained episode since my Christmas Day event!
We all know how stress affects our hearts. Along with other intricacies stress can be a huge trigger for us afibbers.
Well I am 53 now and have been working as an Engineer for 31 years with the same company. I have two beautiful daughters in college. Last week during our corporate meeting Japanese management congratulated us on the most profitable year and best quality ever, right before terminating our jobs. So Sept this year is my "kill" date!. I have struggled thru stressful situations now for 31 years and my job has been pretty understanding of my heart disorder and problems associated. I fear now moving on other companies may not be so understanding. I always tend to become stressed in high level meetings, presentations, etc. as would be expected. There have been times I have had to leave work go home or just take a hiatus from the desk etc.
So I am wondering am I way OFF base to consider pursuing Social Security Disability?
There is a section in their code for arrhythmias and God knows I have had my fair share now for 15 years!! Five ablations down and hopefully only one more to go!!

What are your opinions? Is disability for Afib even possible? Will disability be a curse vs helpful in enjoying my life?
Re: Disability Opinions
January 20, 2016 02:55AM
Ten or so years ago, a litigating lawyer I'd used (he was in his 40's) took disability for afib. He'd had undetected high rate afib for a while and his ejection fraction had dropped quite low (20, if I recall). They got his heart fairly stable, but I think the assumption was that the stress of his legal job would trigger it again, hence the disability. I really haven't had contact with him and only got updates for a while from a colleague who saw him occasionally for social reasons. Hence I don't know how it turned out for him.

George
January 20, 2016 10:53AM
I would start keeping records of your episodes, and when you had to leave work, etc. You may have to make your case, and it would easier to compile records as they happen, instead of going back later.
January 20, 2016 08:51PM
tsco,

I'm still hanging in there at 67. (three ablations, one more procedure to go). I don't do product development now, but failure analysis. There is some stress but it's more intermittent and far less than trying to meet a design schedule deadline. I've found a diet recently, the Perfect Health Diet. It makes more sense and is better researched than anything I've ever read about nutrition. I switched from a low carb high fat diet to PHD and I'm sleeping much, much better.

I'd try a lateral move perhaps and not give up on curing your overstress reactions. Diet, lifestyle, exercise, sleep, all have an effect. I've tried meditation which is helpful too. Hard to change old habits but worth it. Hopefully your family and friends will be supportive, that's the most important key to success.

Best Wishes,
Mike E
January 21, 2016 04:02PM
Thank You Mike!
January 25, 2016 01:23PM
I'm up north of the border here in Toronto. Our late good friend who shall remain nameless had a freak accident and fell, striking his neck on a brick surround for the garden and rendering him an instant quadriplegic. Still, it was not sufficient for the government and they made the family jump through hoops for several months (losing their home and their business in the process) before finally, under the duress of a legal action and public opinion, finally gave in and granted disability. And modified their home so he could be kicked out of the hospital asap and be taken care of at home by a visiting RN that allowed about 2 hours a few times a week to assist. Social medicine. How his wife managed to take care of him for almost five years is beyond me but ultimately he lost his battle to pneumonia right under the noses of the nurse, etc.

My point is simply this. Sometimes it pays to spend a dime and get a legal opinion as to one's chances of success before entering the battle field. A simple letter from a reputable, knowledgeable law firm sometimes expedites the matter, etc.

I am going into hospital Thursday to have the first of my tests, a T.E.E. along with the requisite eleventh hour blood tests and so on prior to my procedure on Friday. As my left atrium is enlarged at about 55 mm. they are planning on keeping me in and monitored for two or three days afterwards (social medicine - fill the beds/and CYA of course).

In the meantime I managed to get into a freak accident and fracture my spine. In three places. It is causing me some measure of grief with pain, etc., and tremendous loss of sleep.

I, too, am looking into disability pension, although at 63 I have only two years until I am eligible for pension and old age security payments anyway. My intent is to speak to an attorney before I do ANYTHING to see where I stand between the AFIB, spinal damage, sleep apnea, etc.
I cannot see any downside to getting a professional opinion to know where I stand before proceeding.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
January 26, 2016 07:35PM
Thanks Murray L good advice
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login