Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

D-Ribose powder - best one to use?

Posted by Marg 
D-Ribose powder - best one to use?
January 08, 2016 11:48AM
Now that Jarrow D-Ribose is no longer available, can anyone suggest a good brand?

Thanks.
Re: D-Ribose powder - best one to use?
January 09, 2016 07:30PM
Marg,

I just ordered Jarrow D-Ribose from iHerb and it arrived as ordered. I checked the iHerb website and it shows as still being available.

Bill
January 09, 2016 08:05PM
Thanks, Bill. I checked again and I see that it is just the large size that I used to order that has been discontinued. Thanks for alerting me. Marg
January 10, 2016 05:50AM
I use healthy origins d ribose.

Is there a significant difference ?

Thanks

Alex
January 10, 2016 09:53AM
Alex,

I could have been imagining it, but I felt better on the Jarrow one than on the Healthy Origins one.

Marg
January 10, 2016 12:47PM
Marg - Just FYI...

The main thing about various brands of ribose is to determine that you receive the standard dose of 5 grams in that measurement... a teaspoon or a scoop. The developers of d-ribose, list their product as Bioenergy(R) and that "dosing standard"... was a slightly rounded teaspoon is equal to 5 grams of d-ribose so that often gives a hint as to the reliability of the powder that you select. You have to study the labels for equivalencies.

If they only give a scoop as a 'dose,' then it's important to determine if the scoop is one heaping teaspoon or actually more... if it's more then that may indicate the product is diluted.

Remember that some labels can be confusing and this isn't just with d-ribose. They may indicate a scoop equals X number of grams... that can mean that's the bulk quantity of the powder itself, but not actually the dose delivered.

The labeling should indicate that whatever measurement is used... a scoop or a rounded teaspoon should provide a dose of 5 grams of d-ribose, but as I mentioned previously... the standard from Bioenergy is 1 rounded teaspoon equals 5 grams.

Typically, the daily dosing recommendation is 1 - 2 teaspoons daily (5 - 10 grams) and for specific cases that need more support for cellular energy, then 3 times a day is recommended.

I just checked quickly.. some of the bottlers...

Healthy Origins... 1 teaspoon = 5 grams of d-ribose

Jarrow - 1 scoop = 1/2 tsp or 2 grams of d-ribose... but the instructions say 1 dose is 1 scoop...which is >50% less than the standard recommended dose.

Life Extension - 1 scoop = 5,000 mg or 5 grams

Doctor's Best 1 scoop = 5 grams but no mention if that equals one or more teaspoons.
Carlson's 1 scoop is 1 teaspoon and equals 3 grams

Some brands may appear to be more economical but if you have to double the dose to meet the proper equivalency, then it ends up being more costly... or you don't get the full benefit with a lesser dosage and you may not see the progress or benefits expected.

Hope this makes sense.

Jackie
January 10, 2016 01:02PM
Jackie,

Thank you very much for this information. It makes a great deal of sense. Marg
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login