Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Exatest Results

Posted by Que 
Que
New Exatest Results
December 11, 2015 02:43PM
Hello,

Could someone plesae provide a little guidance. I got my new Exatest results back. Good news is that my Magnesium deficiency has improved from 32.9 (standard range 34-42) to 34.9. I added 600mg of Mag daily.

Now, though, my Potassium/Calcium ratio is high at 42.7 (standard range 19.1-38). My previous Potassium/Calcium ratio was 30.8.

My Potassium/Magnesium ratio is also high at 5.6 (standard range 2.4-4.8). My previous Potassium/Magnesium ratio was 4.6.

Thank you,
Que
Re: New Exatest Results
December 11, 2015 03:30PM
Que - Did you receive a copy of the Interpretation Guidelines along with your ExaTest results?

Check out my responses to Steve in this post dated June of this year….. [www.afibbers.org]

That’s a somewhat abbreviated comment on the full text guidelines submitted at this post: [www.afibbers.org]

That may help clarify for you some of your results.

My comment is that your magnesium - while in the normal range – is still on the low side and while 600 mg daily is a decent dose, it is apparently not enough to increase your levels more to mid or even higher range. I understand if you are limited by the bowel tolerance issues, so it may take time to stabilize at a higher level. I have trouble maintaining a higher level myself, so I understand that problem.

I hope this helps.

Best to you,
Jackie
Que
December 21, 2015 03:06AM
Hi Jackie,

Regarding my Magnesium level of 34.9. My FM MD recommended I increase to 800mg daily of Magnesium Glycinate, which I've done. Do you think that will suffice? By the way, I'm not having any bowel issues.

Ok, I've tracked down the Interpretation Guidelines. I can't say they provide much help. My Potassium/Calcium ratio is high as is my Potassium/Magnesium ratio.

Here's what it says:

Potassium/Calcium: Both calcium and potassium might be elevated but the ratios could be in range. Potassium lowers the tendency towards increased peripheral arterial resistance, and spasm in the renal and coronary circulation. High cellular calcium has been shown to increase intracellular potassium concentration.

Potassium/Magnesium: Magnesium has a potassium sparing effect and is the rate limiting ion for potassium transport. In most cases, when magnesium is low, potassium is low. If magnesium is borderline (low), and intracellular potassium is out of range (high), a high paradoxical ration may be present. It would be best to look at the individual concentrations.

Here are my intracellular levels. How do I figure out how to improve the ratios? Also, what is the math they are using to get the ratio? Wouldn't I divide the Potassium number by the Calcium?

Component Result | Reference Range

Magnesium 34.9 | 34 - 42
Calcium 3.8 | 3.2 - 5
Potassium 231.9 | 80 - 240
Sodium 5.1 | 3.8 - 5.8
Chloride 4.1 | 3.4 - 6
Phosphorus 16.7 | 14.2 - 17
Phosphorus/Calcium Ratio 5.3 | 3.5 - 6
Magnesium/Calcium Ration 7.8 | 6.1 - 12.2
Magnesium/Phosphorus Ratio 2.1 | 1.8 - 3
Potassium/Calcium Ratio 42.7 | 19.1 - 38 HIGH
Potassium/Magnesium Ratio 5.6 | 2.4 - 4.8 HIGH

Thanks
Que

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/21/2015 03:25AM by Que.
December 21, 2015 11:12AM
Que - I'll respond later today or tomorrow... in a flurry of activity at the moment.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login