Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fluticasone Propionate and AFIB

Posted by KenH 
Fluticasone Propionate and AFIB
December 07, 2015 05:23PM
I have not posted in quite a while but I had something interesting happen that I thought I would share.

My AFIB background was that I was diagnosed with AFIB back in September of 2003 and struggled with it until I was ablated by Dr. Natale in July of 2013. All has been great since then up until now. I was having some allergy issues and my doctor prescribed Fluticasone Propionate better known as Flonase I guess, after using it for a very brief time my heart started to rebel, I have been having a lot of ectopics for a number of days but I don't believe any AFIB. The interesting point is I went back to my medical records and on 7/18/03 I was prescribed Flonase and on 9/29/03 I was diagnosed with AFIB. I don't know for sure but it sure seems a little coincidental that I start on Flonase again and now my heart is rebelling, hopefully I don't end up going down the AFIB path again.

Thanks,

Ken
Re: Fluticasone Propionate and AFIB
December 07, 2015 05:56PM
Ken,
I had my first afib events in 1995-6 using Seldane then Claritine. I don't use any prescription allergy medicine since. Eyedrops (Systane) and saline nose spray (Ocean Spray) as needed works fine especially since I cleaned up my diet and my allergies are much reduced. I also have an air filter (Austin Air) in my bedroom so I don't have issues when I'm sleeping. Every doctor I've talked to poo-poo's my suspicion that the allergy medications caused my afib but the one season I was taking Seldane I felt terrible every time I took it. I knew nothing of arrythmia's at that point so never checked my pulse. I'm suspicious of all drugs, I think we're all Guinea pigs when we take any prescription drug.
Re: Fluticasone Propionate and AFIB
December 07, 2015 07:26PM
I'm not sure if Flonase is considered a high-dose steroid or not, but there is a link b/n high-dose steroids and afib:

Corticosteroids and the Risk of Atrial Fibrillation (Cited by 80)

For those susceptible to afib, perhaps the effect is also present... for lower doses of steroids?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login