Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Healthy Aging Tips #2 - GABA, cortisol, stress and Afib.

Posted by Jackie 
November 16, 2015 01:30PM

We know familiar observation: “Afib begets Afib.” I also observe that often Stress begets Afib and then when you’re in Afib, you become even more stressed than before the onset. These days, everyone has more stress. It’s often said that the stress of 21st century living is unprecedented.

I’m in the process of gathering information for a person who is very stressed and doesn’t want to give in to prescription drugs so I focused my research focused on the amino acid, GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) and how that relates to cortisol production (cortisol being the stress or death hormone). There, I found a comment about taking GABA to help reduce the incidence of Afib and also that GABA deficiency can cause an increase in blood pressure.

So, here’s another Healthy Aging Tip as it relates to the importance of managing stress which ultimately has to be highly beneficial for our overall health, and also especially for those prone to Afib. You’ll see the aging connection as you read more.

In addition to this short summary and the post last year titled: Stress, Anxiety, Insomnia…. Sympathetic Dominance…and more [www.afibbers.org], many years ago, when the Conference Room Sessions first began, Hans offered a series on the use of GABA… starting with Session #4 [www.afibbers.org] which is also relevant.

Previously, Health Aging Tips #2 was planned to report on another amino acid, but since I had gathered this GABA information, this short report should serve as an alert so you can do more independent research.

One of my favorite reference books for Anxiety and Mood complaints is The Mood Cure by Julia Ross, MA. She offers several quick points about GABA which she calls “nature’s stress buster” and says that GABA is natural Valium for the brain and that the tranquilizer, Valium, is designed to mimic or amplify GABA’s natural calming effects. In the book, she offers a personal questionnaire to help determine areas of deficiencies that allow stress-related manifestations. Everyone needs to take the test.
Other useful points from The Mood Cure:

..." GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter that turns off certain kinds of brain reactions, specifically excitatory chemicals such as adrenaline that become overwhelming when we are under too much stress. Also, too much stress depletes GABA stores. Taking a GABA supplement helps turn off stress reactions after an upset and it can also help prevent a stressful response when it’s taken prior to an anticipated ordeal.

She recommends dissolving a 100 mg flavored GABA tablet under the tongue. Sublingual forms work quickly because they bypass the stomach and go directly through to the bloodstream to the brain. This often helps calm within five minutes. She recommends starting with the low dose of 100 mg, one to three times a day but says that some individuals may need up to 500 mg. When the need for calming is gone, the effect of GABA will just cause you to feel tired, rather than relaxed. She cautions to always take your first experimental doses at home in case you become too relaxed or tired (to drive, for example).” [quoted and paraphrased from pp 89 – 90] Other supplements that help “lighten stressful private thoughts and promote sleep” include: 5 HTP and St. John’s Wort.

Quote: “After GABA, serotonin is your brain's most important anxiety buffer and too much stress can use up both your serotonin and GABA stores. (serotonin critical for sleep) If you were born serotonin deficient, stress can be a real emotional disaster, depleting you even further. When the brain’s serotonin fuels, ie, tryptophan and 5- HTP, are in short supply, then the stress response gets triggered and your cortisol and other stress chemicals rise. A quick solution is to take the serotonin-boosting nutrients as supplements.” Unquote p. 91

She has a list of Frontline Stress Busters including:
- GABA – 100- 500 mg. 1 – 3 times a dy at or before high stress times, typically mid-afternoon and bedtime.

- Or try a combination of GABA with taurine and glycine…or with inositol

-GABA Calm by Source Naturals, Tru Calm by NOW Foods, or Amino Acid Relaxers by Country Life.

-Homeopathic Calmes Forte 1 – 2 capsules as needed.

(I recommend PharmaGABA by Natural Factors at bedtime for those with trouble relaxing…seems to work very well… dissolve the tablet in your mouth.) Clinical studies have shown that Pharma GABA® helps increase the production of alpha brain waves to create a profound sense of physical relaxation while maintaining mental focus. And I also rely on L-theanine and Bach Flower Rescue Remedy for quick reductions of mild anxiety or anticipated stressful situations.)

For inner mental stress Dr. Braverman suggests 5-HTP 50 – 100 mg mid-afternoon and bedtime or 500-1500 mg tryptophan at the same time.

Note: These are just short excerpts.

If you have stress and mood issues, I recommend owning the Mood Cure book… and taking the questionnaire which then helps direct you to the type of natural aids you need and the doses. Food choices factor into it as well… obviously. She also recommends testing for cortisol levels and DHEA as ultimately, this involves knowing the functionality of your adrenal system.

The outstanding, classic reference, The Healing Nutrients Within (Eric R. Braverman, MD)– about amino acids includes an entire chapter devoted to the function of GABA.

Dr. Braverman says: “Levels of GABA go down with chronic illnesses and can result in chronic anxiety symptoms. Everyone becomes anxious and burned out when they suffer from continuous levels of stress and/or illness, secondary to the GABA deficiency that occurs. The level of stress that can precipitate these psysiological changes can be anything from day-to-day-activities or chronic back pain to high levels of physical or mental trauma. [p. 172]… (and I add …or chronic bouts of Afib).

In another Braverman book, A Younger You, he explains systems that begin to fail or as he terms it “pause” i.e., like the effect of waning hormones when women begin to experience meno – “pause,” and the various implications, pauses or signs of aging body parts as “codes” which include – just a few as an example:
- Biopause – brain loses its chemical messengers called neurotransmitters
- Electropause – brain loses processing speed
- Cardiopause – heart rate increases when pumping efficiency decreases
- Vasculopause – blood vessel diameter decreases…. etc… (page 4)

He says, " you are only as young as your oldest part" and during these pauses, the failing organ or part becomes older than the rest of your body and is associated with hormone levels. When diminished, the hormones of life and the electrical signals of the brain send a wrong or “anti” signal to the rest of the life". [ p 4]

This leads to various chapters on the key elements and Chapter 5, titled “ GABA: Controlling the Anxiety/Pain Pendulum to Create a Younger You”… details the function of GABA and brain rhythm. “When the brain ticks unevenly, so does the entire rhythm cycle of the body. GABA controls the brain’s rhythm so we function both physically and mentally at a steady pace. By monitoring your internal rhythm, GABA directly affects your personality and determines how you handle life’s stresses.

When there is an abundance of GABA, your life takes on a Zenlike quality; your mind is at peace and your body is at its peak. When GABA is depleted, the pendulum swings all the way over to the other side and you may experience anxiety and/or chronic pain.” [p. 103]

Healthy Aging Tip”… GABA deficiency accelerates aging everywhere.

“As your brain experiences large and more frequent swings from the anxiety pendulum, whether it is from aging, stress, drug or alcohol abuse or just burned out GABA, you have engaged in the GABA death code. Beyond cortisol release, a GABA loss directly affects all pauses including the heart, the immune system, sexual functioning as well as bones, muscles and skin.

- GABA deficiency leads to choppy signals from the brain to the heart, which can lead to cardiac arrhythmias and heart attacks.

- Anger and anxiety, caused by low GABA levels, are two of the strongest predictors of high blood pressure.

- Lack of internal calm can lead to digestive problems, including reflux, heartburn, diarrhea, IBS, or constipation,

- Low GABA leads to pain in your bones, muscles and joints – such as chronic back pain.

- A constant state of tension and anxiety can lead to a loss of sexual interest as well as dysfunction.

A Younger You is available at Amazon.com. By using the "Look Inside Feature," you can scroll down to page 104 and read the chapter on GABA… The segment on Cortisol Stress (p 105) is especially relevant to afibbers. Chapter 7 is about Cardiopause: The Slowing and Aging of the Heart. [www.amazon.com]

Bottom line: Manage your stress and be sure your GABA levels are optimal.

Knowledge is health,
Jackie

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 01:55PM by Jackie.
Re: Healthy Aging Tips #2 - GABA, cortisol, stress and Afib.
November 18, 2015 11:27AM
Healthy aging... who here wouldn't be interested in this post??? ;>)

Thank you, J!

/L
December 06, 2015 11:08AM
Jackie,

How do you use Bach Flower Remedy? Did you go to a consulation to see what remedy fits you or you just knew what to buy and bought and used? Here in Romania there are different therapists and not only I don't know which is a balanced one (I had my share of not-so-balanced people I would not want to recommend me or anyone a therapy or remedy) but I don't know much of this therapy.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Andrea
December 06, 2015 02:52PM
Andrea - with this one.. Bach Flower .Rescue Remedy.... it was recommended in a webinar I heard on stress management many years ago... I've even forgotten who did the presentation. But it's a homeopathic liquid that works quickly but subtly. There are also pastilles or little gummy wafers that help deliver the herbals via the oral mucosal tissue.

It's easy. The liquid comes in a little dropper bottle and you just drop some under your tongue. With the gummy wafers, just place in mouth and let slowly dissolve. Neither makes you feel sleepy, tired or impaired. Just a subtle relaxing effect. Many find it is very useful; others with high stress levels don't think it does anything. The L-theanine is similar but a bit stronger and more effective for higher stress levels or difficulty in getting to sleep.

Many people swear by being treated by homeopathic remedies. I have had only one experience consulting with a local homeopath recommended by my family physician, but honestly, it was a total waste of time and money.

You can read more here about Rescue Remedy:
[www.bachflower.com]
[www.iherb.com]

Jackie
December 07, 2015 07:28AM
After your posts here and latest news I suspect Nicole has low GABA levels too. I'll look into the books you mention. Maybe Bach remedy will help Nicole too, who knows? It's worth trying...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login