Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Risk of going off Eliquis for med test with ablated left appendage

Posted by ron 
ron
Risk of going off Eliquis for med test with ablated left appendage
November 16, 2015 11:59AM
In the next couple of months, I will be having a med. procedure that requires me to go off blood thinners (eliquis). I never thought much risk was there before when having a test as over the years I have had a few procedures with no bad outcomes. Now my left appendage has been ablated and I am thinking there may be more risk than before. Eliquis is so fast acting that I don't know if Heparin bridging the gap will be effective.

What is the real risk of going off blood thinners for medical procedures when the left appendage has been ablated ?

What strategies can be put in place to minimize the risk ?

...ronH
Re: Risk of going off Eliquis for med test with ablated left appendage
November 16, 2015 01:33PM
Hi Ron. Is this a test or a surgical procedure? What does the physician in charge say about discontinuing the Eliquis and how long are you supposed to be off the drug?

There are several possibilities that could 'bridge the gap' a you say but more details are needed.

I certainly wish you well.

Jackie
ron
November 16, 2015 02:23PM
Jackie, It is a Bronchoscopy. In the past, they have always required me to stop my blood thinners. There is always a chance that the airway is compromised during the test as well as tissue samples taken if they think it is warranted, they want the blood to clot normally. The blood thinner can resume right after the procedure is complete. I haven't as yet talked to the Dr., just planning ahead.

...ronH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 03:10PM by ron.
November 17, 2015 01:18PM
OK Ron. Glad it's not a true 'surgical procedure'.... There are at least a couple of past posts where Shannon responded about what's safe to do with these new anticoags... and when I have some time I'll try to locate. What I don't recall reading is the half-life of Eliquis. If you stop the nightly dose before a morning procedure, is that enough time, or do you need more lead time before a potential biopsy?

Meanwhile, if this were happening to me, I'd be inclined to increase my intake of some of the "natural blood thinners" that I typically take... although in lower doses than if I weren't on the NOAC..... such as increasing the Omega 3's again and adding back in some Nattokinase. That would be my approach... my body... my risk. Just giving you an idea in case you are wanting to add a bit of insurance or peace of mind.

When I began using Eliquis, I cut back on the dosing of most of my natural blood thinners but not totally except for Nattokinase and Ginkgo because I didn't want to risk over-thinning. I kept up with magnesium which helps prevent platelet aggregation...lower doses of Omega 3's .and have kept up with the natural anti-inflammatories and continued using my Earthing or grounding pad every night.

Jackie
November 18, 2015 12:08AM
Hi RonH,

With I assume the 5mg BID dosing (5mg twice a day once every 12 hours) of Eliquis and a relatively minor same day diagnostic procedure go no more than 48 hours max without any Eliquis and take the first restart dose on the same day as the procedure taking it with that days dinner dose after your daytime (preferable morning time) procedure.

That should cover you just fine RonH! Best wishes on a good outcome with the Bronchoscopy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login