Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sugar

Posted by Jackie 
Sugar
October 30, 2015 07:07PM
Trick or Treat?

By now, we all are aware that sugar is the enemy and is the source of many serious health problems… including the formation of AGEs – Advanced Glycation End Products - which actually ‘caramelize’ the body’s cells, tissue and parts such as joints and cause decreasing mobility, clogged capillaries and arterial dysfunction.

Of interest to Afib forum readers is the association of AGEs or glycotoxins as a powerful and independent risk factor for stroke via the arterial dysfunction factor. The genetic variation in the receptor for advanced glycation end-products (RAGE) gene and ischemic stroke is being studied.

Studies show that many sick organs and tissues are full of AGEs. Their molecular structure binds tissues together in abnormal ways (cross-linking) which causes tissues throughout the body to become inflexible, deformed and dysfunctional. AGEs are implicated in many serious and debilitating diseases including diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, blindness, cataracts, brain and nervous system dysfunction including memory loss, wrinkled skin, liver disease and arthritis… to name a few.

AGEs impair nerve function and sensitivity, interrupt essential intercellular communication and clog neural pathways in the brain. The body’s defensive attempt to break apart the caramelized tissue results in the production of inflammatory cytokines.

Chronic inflammation is closely associated with allergy, atherosclerosis, cancer, arthritis and Alzheimer’s as well as autoimmune disease. The longer inflammation persists, the higher the risk of associated carcinogenesis.

Cooking methods including industrial heat processing, grilling, broiling, roasting, searing, frying significantly contribute to AGEs formation. (Nutritional and Integrative Strategies in Cardiovascular Medicine – Stephen T. Sinatra MD and Mark C. Houston, MD)

Couple those tidbits with this information on GMO sugar beets –

"Roundup Ready® GE sugar beets are genetically engineered to withstand repeated spraying with Monsanto’s toxic weed killer, Roundup,® and its active ingredient, glyphosate.

But here’s the really scary part - when the USDA first approved the planting of GE sugar beets, the EPA also increased the maximum allowable residues of glyphosate on the beet roots (from which sugar is extracted) by a staggering 5,000%! This EPA policy change was made at the request of Monsanto, producer of GE sugar beet seeds

Glyphosate is the world’s most heavily-used conventional pesticide with over 280 million lbs. sprayed on American croplands each year. With such massive use comes increasing exposure and Glyphosate has been detected in the air, water and rainfall, in foods and in human urine and blood."
Source: www.centerforfoodsafety.org

..." The cancer-research arm of the World Health Organization last week announced that glyphosate, the world’s most widely used herbicide, is probably carcinogenic to humans.1 But the assessment, by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in Lyon, France, has been followed by an immediate backlash from industry groups. As the World Health Organization's research arm declares glyphosate a probable carcinogen, Nature looks at the evidence." Source: Widely used herbicide linked to cancer by Daniel Cressey - 24 March 2015 [www.nature.com]

Take-away message:

If you must use sugar, do it sparingly and make sure it is organic cane sugar and not that from GMO sugar beets.

Knowledge is Health!

Jackie
Re: Sugar
November 02, 2015 05:10PM
Thank You Jackie.

This is valuable information and I need to review it often as I, like many others, am completely addicted to sugar.
My partner and I attend social functions several times a month and sugary desserts are ALWAYS prominently offered. For me it has always been difficult to resist the temptation. I want to continue these social interactions, so I will need to develop the "will not power".

Cheers,
John
November 03, 2015 08:37AM
Hi John - Yes, sugar addiction is very common and also deadly, so keep that in mind when you are tempted.

Once you reverse the craving, you won't be tempted; but as you know... sugar can be difficult to avoid as everyone seems to have the same addiction so 'treats' tend to be high glycemic foods.

I attend a community gathering once a week and someone typically brings a treat and it's always something sweet. Last night, it was a huge sack of left-over Halloween candy.

Eating plenty of protein ensures that you won't be as tempted to go for sweet treats.

Good luck with your project!

Jackie
November 06, 2015 09:59AM
Thanks for that post Jackie.

Sugar is like poison to me. Dessert is followed by hours of bothersome ectopics of all kinds. Alcohol in any form causes similar symptoms.

Gary
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login