Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CHA2DS2-VASc for Afib Stroke Risk

Posted by LarryG 
CHA2DS2-VASc for Afib Stroke Risk
September 09, 2015 08:28PM
Has the above scoring system been officially modified or superceded?

For a score of "1," which is referred to as "low-moderate" risk, it basically recommends use of an antiplatelet or anticoagulation med. As an example, a score of "1" is reached strictly by being a 67 yo male.

But I recall relatively recent posts here indicating that newer studies shun the use of ASA for stroke protection. Did a forum search, but couldn't locate these studies.

Also looked for another post here, that I remember vaguely, dealing with how the use of ASA negatively impacts certain eye conditions. Didn't find this either.

Would appreciate it if someone could help me with these two items. Thank you!

/L
Re: CHA2DS2-VASc for Afib Stroke Risk
September 10, 2015 04:17PM
Larry - I can't clarify for sure which is the latest test... I thought it was the Cha2DS2VASc... which for me at my age would place me at 3 points... for age.. 79, female... and according to their translation guide that means:

3 points
Stroke risk was 3.2% per year in >90,000 patients (the Swedish Atrial Fibrillation Cohort Study) and 5.9% risk of stroke/TIA/systemic embolism.

One recommendation suggests a 0 score is "low" risk and may not require anticoagulation; a 1 score is "low-moderate" risk and should consider antiplatelet or anticoagulation, and score 2 or greater is "moderate-high" risk and should otherwise be an anticoagulation candidate.

Obviously, with increasing age, the stroke risk factor increases as well even with normal health and I've always gone by the guidelines for making sure blood viscosity remains low by managing the risk factors for "thick, sticky blood" as mentioned in my posts on that topic and by testing twice a year to make sure those various markers stay in the "safe limits." I don't use ASA since I have low platelets and I'm not compatible with aspirin's side effects.... and I also heed the warnings about ASA and eye conditions and gastric ulcers in both intestine and stomach.

Until I began Eliquis for the recent ablations, I took all of the "natural" type blood thinners... but then had to cut back so I didn't risk over-thinning, but since I first experienced Afib 20 years ago, I've always taken targeted supplements to reduce the tendency for thick, sticky blood that promotes adverse clotting ...and that has served me very well so far.

A recent study indicates that vitamin D levels are linked to strokes... Fortunately, I've been on top of vitamin D optimization for a very long time as well.

"A study presented at the International Stroke Conference (1) found that low vitamin D levels are linked to an increased risk of suffering a more severe stroke, as well as poor health to stroke survivors"

"The study of almost 100 stroke patients treated at a US hospital between 2013 and 2014 who had experienced ischemic strokes. It was noted that those with low vitamin D levels (less than 30 mg/ml) had about two times larger areas of stroke-related dead brain tissue than those with normal vitamin D levels."

The study also found those with low vitamin D levels had poorer health in the months following the stroke, regardless of age or initial stroke severity. In fact, for each 10 ng/ml, reduction in vitamin D levels, the chance of a healthy recovery in the three months following a stroke fell by almost half."

(1) International Stroke Conference, Feb 11-13, 2015

Reported by Life Extension Foundation - Sept/Oct 2015

Jackie

Re: CHA2DS2-VASc for Afib Stroke Risk
September 11, 2015 11:55AM
Thanks, J. That was helpful.

Experienced a retinal tear last week, and have temporarily D/C'd the baby ASA. Will discuss anticoagulation again with the EP at my yearly eval next month.

Have supplemented with D-3 for over two years.

Will review your posts on "thick, sticky blood" and "natural" blood thinners now.

You're a terrific resource! Very much appreciate you sharing the knowledge / experience you've acquired with us here.

/L
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login