Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Amiodarone

Posted by afibbers 
Amiodarone
August 07, 2015 09:51PM
In 2005 had my first Afib episode. My doc prescribed amiodarone. The people on this forum advised me about it's side affects. I then told my doc that I would not take it anymore. He then prescribed digoxen. Hans posted back that was the worst thing he could have done. So I told my doc that I would not take that either.
Since then have used a little trick, that works for me, that I read here. Not suggesting anyone else to try it.
I take 1/2 of an amio tab every other day. My afib episodes have been gone for over 2 years.
Re: Amiodarone
August 08, 2015 01:07AM
What is the milligram size of your tablets?

I had a Dr. who wanted me to try 200mg instead of the normal 400mg, when I voiced concern over side effects.
He said 200mg still works for people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2015 02:26AM by The Anti-Fib.
August 08, 2015 04:41AM
At one time I was taking Amiodarone for 8 years. I went from a pre cardioversion loading dose of 400 mg. for a couple of weeks, to a maintenance dose of 100 mg. after the cardioversion. In later years the Amiodarone dose had to be increased from 100 mg. to 150 mg., finally to 200 mg. to keep me in nsr before I decided to go the ablation route.

During the years that I used Amiodarone, I suffered no adverse side effects whatsoever. My very first EP told me that "Amiodarone, high dose, short time, no problem. Amiodarone, low dose, long time, no problem." I had testing done regularly: thyroid, pulmonary function, eye test for possible corneal deposits. I had to remind my doctors that these tests were necessary yearly to avoid problems with possible side effects. I read the package insert document for Amiodarone and followed the testing recommendations for safe use. I suggest anyone who is contemplating taking Amiodarone to read the complete package insert. It is scary. But with caution, proper testing and maintenance of low dosage, I was able to make it work for me.

I had a long run of using Amiodarone successfully with no side effects. I count myself lucky in this regard.

JohnB
August 20, 2015 06:57PM
The milligram size is 200mg, but I take 1/2 of a tab every other day.

Dan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login