Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D Improves Ejection Fraction in Heart Failure Patients

Posted by Jackie 
Vitamin D Improves Ejection Fraction in Heart Failure Patients
June 30, 2015 01:47PM
A study in elderly patients with heart failure and low ejection fractions found that low plasma vitamin D levels have been associated with heart failure.

I view this study result as a sort of a 'duh' moment, but still the information is important and useful for afibbers dealing with reduced Ejection Fraction numbers and serves as a reminder to have your vitamin D levels checked.

Although the data comes from a small study of elderly patients with heart failure, it obviously makes sense that younger populations would benefit as well. It signals that most likely many seniors are not having their vitamin D levels checked as a routine/preventive health measure. It's important to know your 25 Hydroxy Vitamin D levels (25 OH D) at any age, but especially seniors who typically aren't exposed to much direct sunlight plus aging skin is less efficient at producing vitamin D from sun exposure.

This was a small study with 23 patients; mean age 74 with vitamin D levels of <30 ng/mL... which is obviously far less than the optimal range recommended of at least 60 ng/mL... However after six months, and given only 4,000 IU cholecalciferol (vitamin D3) ejection fractions increased significantly (which makes perfect sense because low vitamin D is known to cause muscle weakness... and the heart is a muscle).

Jackie

Dalbeni A, et al., Effects of six months of vitamin D supplementation in patients with heart failure: a randomized double-blind controlled trial. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2014 Aug;24(8):861-8. doi: 10.1016/j.numecd.2014.02.015. Epub 2014 Mar 5.
Que
Re: Vitamin D Improves Ejection Fraction in Heart Failure Patients
July 02, 2015 10:18PM
Interesting. I just got my Vit D 25-OH D results back and I'm low. 20.2 ng/mL with a reference range of 30-100. What is the recommended therapy?

I was also told that I have gene mutations (Genes DC and CYP27B1) that limit my Vit D3 health.

GC provides the code for the transporter tha tmoves the active D3 to the VDR of the target cell. CYP27B1 codes for the enzyme that converts inactive D3 (Caldidiol) to active D3 (Calcitriol).
July 04, 2015 09:26AM
Optimal range for you Que is 70-75ng/ml of 25(OH)D3.

At 20ng/ml you are far to low to enjoy any of the huge array of potential
health benefits beyond the most basic impact on bone growth and support.

You are getting almost none of the real immune boosting, anti inflammatory and myriad other benefits possible when maintaining sufficient Vitamin D levels .. Also take proportional Vitamin K.

Start with 5,000IU of Vitamin D3 using a soft gel oil based Vitamin D and not the white powder capsule or tablet forms. Take it with the largest fat containing meal of the day and retest in 3 months (you can order your own kit from ZRT Lab to home test with finger prick method and no MD script needed.

Then simply tittered your dose up or down in 1,000 IU or 2,000IU steps and repeat test again every 3 months until you hit your sweet spot of 70-75ng/ml
then you are set. Test again every couple of years to insure you are staying in the optimal
Range and that's it! Easy as can be!

I recommend Life Extensions Super K with Advanced K2 Complex as your best K2 companion to Vitamin D (assuming you are not on Warfarin that is as I know you are not).

Shannon
Que
July 07, 2015 08:20PM
Thanks Shannon. The Vitamin D finding was quite astounding and one of the most significant findings from my Function Doctor visit. He too has recommended 5000 IU of Vitamin D, although he didn't mention Vitamin K. What is the role of Vitamin K here? To answer your question. No, I am on Eliquis and not Warfarin. Is there a contraindication for Vitamin K to Eliquis or only Warfarin?

All the best
July 08, 2015 10:40AM
It's the MK7 portion of the vitamin K2 that helps direct circulating calcium into bones where it belongs and not deposited in soft tissues such as arteries or make bone spurs. Read more here: These are the vitamin K experts [menaq7.com]

With warfarin, you are restricted when consuming sources of vitamin K because warfarin works on that specific clotting mechanism. Eliquis and Xalerto do not work on the vitamin K mechanism.

Jackie
Que
July 09, 2015 07:30PM
Thanks Jackie. Do you have a recommendation for a Vit D brand/manufacturer? Is it D3 that I should take?

All the best,
Q
July 10, 2015 09:53AM
Yes - Vitamin D3 should be identified as cholecalciferol on the label. There are many reliable brands including Natural Factors, Life Extension, Healthy Origins, Jarrow and many more as well as the professional grade products. Some add a carrier oil such as olive or sunflower to the capsule and others do not.

It's advised to take vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to help transport and absorption so this would be Vitamin D and all fat-soluble vitamins... A, D, E, and K. I typically take mine after breakfast and with my dose of Omega 3 fish oil.

You should be tested again in 2 - 3 months and periodically after that to be sure you reach and maintain the desired level of at least 50 ng/mL and preferably between 60 - 70. Keep in mind that it can take some time to reach those desired levels but others will respond quickly...that's why the testing is important.

My dosing began with 5,000 IU daily but I learned by testing that I needed to double the dose to 10,000 daily in order to see any progress and even that took quite a while. Once I reached 68 ng/mL, I kept the maintenance dose at 5,000 daily and indefinitely as I don't get a lot of natural sun exposure. For those who do, the dosing should reflect that as indicated by test results.

It was recommended I use a combination product that contains vitamin K1 and K2 MK7 or take separately to ensure that circulating calcium enters bone tissue where it belongs. I take them separately.

Here's a clip from from a combination product explaining that issue:

...." We now know how important Vitamin K is for directing the transport of calcium into bone for optimal strength. Increasing the amount of vitamin D, via supplementation, in the presence of inadequate levels of vitamin K, can increase the risk of calcium deposition in arteries and soft tissue and have a very negative effect on artery elasticity. This is due to their interaction in the use of MGP, Matrix Gla Protein, which is a strong inhibitor of arterial calcification. The expression of MGP is vitamin D dependent and the gamma-carboxylation step, making it active, is vitamin K dependent. Together, D and K make a great team.
CAUTION: Vitamin K may adversely interact with anticoagulation drugs known as blood thinners. Patients taking these medications should be medically supervised while taking Vitamin D Supreme. "
Continue here for the complete product data info: [www.rockwellnutrition.com]

Jackie
Que
July 10, 2015 05:03PM
Hi Jackie,

That is very helpful thanks again! I guess one more question here. Why not get a prescription for Vit D3 to save costs?

All the best,
Q
Que
July 10, 2015 08:26PM
Oops, another one: why only D3? Why not D2?

All the best,
Q
July 13, 2015 02:32PM
Que - Vitamin D supplements are very reasonably priced.

As for the D3 versus the D2 - it comes to efficacy and ultimately results in the body.

John Cannell, MD, of the Vitamin D Council... has a website and this topic is discussed here and undoubtedly in many other places on the website.

You find the science behind why the best choice is D3... [www.vitamindcouncil.org]

Here's the intro:

Many people write me and ask, “My doctor prescribed Drisdol, is that OK?” Drisdol is D2 and the form of vitamin D that doctors write prescriptions for. The body doesn’t produce vitamin D2 in response to sun exposure. It is made by irradiating fungus and plant matter. When you take it, a number of metabolic forms of D2 are found in the body, and some studies show D3 (produced by the skin) is more potent, meaning it is more effective at raising blood levels than D2, while some show they are equal. However, there are few studies comparing the efficacy of D2 vs. D3. Or in other words, which form has better health outcomes, better mortality rates?

Recently, a review and meta-analysis address this question. The meta-analysis study was led by Professor Dr. Goran Bjelakovic.

Bjelakovic G, Gluud LL, Nikolova D, Whitfield K, Wetterslev J, Simonetti RG, Bjelakovic M, Gluud C. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011 Jul 6;(7):CD007470.

Go also to this weblink for a complete overview by Dr. Mercola who often quotes Dr. Cannell in his various reports...
[articles.mercola.com]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login