Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation risks and limitations

Posted by JohnA 
Ablation risks and limitations
May 21, 2015 09:41AM
Perhaps I could get this info by searching, but, to be honest, it makes me anxious to wade through numerous posts and search results.

I have two questions about ablation:

1) Is 7-9 hours of anesthesia typical, and what are the risks associated with prolonged anesthesia?

2) I have daily palpitations, such as PVCs and pauses, etc., that occur without a-fib. I've been told not to expect ablation to do anything for these kinds of palps. True?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Re: Ablation risks and limitations
May 21, 2015 12:29PM
John,

1) a top operator, like Dr. Natale, typically has much a much shorter time (like 3 hours). See <[www.afibbers.org] My buddy had an extensive Natale ablation about 2 1/2 months ago. It had 117 minutes of burn time, but I don't think it took over 3 hours.

2) an afib ablation will not do anything for PVC's. Getting your electrolytes in good order might. See Jackie's article: <[www.afibbers.org]

George
May 21, 2015 02:17PM
John - Unless the procedure is quite complicated requiring many burns, it's typical to have around 3 hours or less. When I had my first Natale ablation in 2003, the procedure was just under 3 hours, start to finish.

Improvements in techniques and equipment have been made and more knowledge and skill improved upon as well so it's important that if you do have an ablation, you choose a top tier or what we refer to as "Elite" EP who knows exactly what to do and is able to be not only highly effective and safe but also do it in the least amount of time.

Once you've scanned The Strategy, if you have questions, just send me a PM and I'll be glad to help. Typically, the daily palps and extra beats you are experiencing are the result of mineral deficiencies that help regulate the electrical conduction pathways... ie, deficiencies of magnesium and potassium...and an over-abundance of calcium and magnesium. Also ... try to learn about and identify your triggers... such as alcohol, various foods, GI distress, hypoglycemia, etc..... so we can help you with those areas as well.

Unfortunately, you do have to spend a considerable time reading so you become familiar with the terms and the various potential remedies that help many.

Be well,
Jackie
May 21, 2015 02:32PM
My procedures have been 8, 7, 7, 6 and 4 hours. Just depends not only on complexity but the success of initiating the problem areas. I wouldnt worry about being under. Its peaceful sleep. It is possible the procedure may help pre atrial contractions. PACs.
tim
May 22, 2015 09:14AM
For (2), that's probably true because catheter contact with ventricular tissue by itself can cause PVC to trigger at the contact point. Natale has talked about this in the past and so did Peter Weiss in his ablation video. Both their groups do PVC ablations for patients that have VT or have ICD's. PVCs can cause unwanted extra shocks from the ICD. That drains the battery and also feels bad, like a horse kicking you in the chest was what I was told by a tennis friend. Both the groups use the magnetic system (Stereotaxis) for VT and PVC ablations because those soft catheters don't trigger pseudo PVCs and the procedure is much safer too with soft catheters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login