Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update on my bleed

Posted by DavidPrice 
Update on my bleed
May 13, 2015 09:14PM
Well, after spending 7 hours in Melbourne's A&E department, I was released....to continue doing what I was doing! The story in brief was this: I'm not sure when it started, but blood was spotted in a fecal occult test, the results of which I was given as I was on the way to London's Heathrow airport to fly to Australia. The tests showed only a small trace, and I was advised to go ahead with the trip, with a colonoscopy scheduled as soon as I got back.
Over the past week the blood became more visible (and painful) until yesterday's bowel movement showed quite a lot. So, I checked myself in.

They couldn;t do an on-the-spot colonoscopy, so I had digital rectal and full bloods.They also stopped Eliquis/Apixaban. The bloods showed normal hemoglobin levels, suggesting only a minor bleed in the GI tract. During yesterday's inspection, I spotted a small, pea-sized sac which, when prodded, had blood in it. So, it's possible that it was a polyp (though the drs seemed to think this unlikely) which had been passed. They said cancer was very unlikely as I had no ther symptoms.

I awoke this morning to no pain in the lower bowels and await the BM. My guess is that the blood will have decreased and, if I lay off the blood-thinners for a couple of days, may even heal over. So, I'm stopping the Apixaban until there's no visible blood. They said there was a trade-off between risks - on balance, given no AF episodes since my ablation, I'd rather assist the GI tract until things settle down.

They also said it could be diverticular disease, but since I have no intense pain/sweats/vomiting, I think this highly unlikely.

It's unlikely that the Eliquis caused the bleed - and I'll have a scope as soon as I return to get to the bottom of it (sorry, I wrote that before spotting the pun....). But they said, with my blood levels, they have no reason for immediate concern, provided I monitor things.

I know this isn't a major bleed incident, but it's moments like this when you realise that there will always be risks until the novel ACs develop the antidote. because I keep forgetting to take the PM Eliquis on time, I was thinking of switching back to Rivaroxaban anyway. But I don;t suppose it's propensity for GI bleeding is any lower?
Re: Update on my bleed
May 14, 2015 08:52AM
All the best with this, D.

Keep us posted. Thanks!

/L
May 14, 2015 10:37AM
Thanks David for the update. When you get home again, it still would be good to have the formal colonoscopy.

My experience with polyps is that they can occur as flat 'lesion type' areas or pedunculated...meaning there is a stalk of tissue leading away from the intestinal wall and then the polyp. Yours might have been a stalk type which became detached and expelled so it would account for what you observed. I had both types when I had my very first 'requisite' colonoscopy at age 50. They were removed and were benign but I was followed annually for about 3 years until the GI doctor was satisfied that was all there were and was no cancer or other pathology. Then I went every 5 years and finally after being "all clear" for so many years, I was told every 7 would be fine.

Now, in addition to the polyps that were removed, it was noted that I had diverticular pouches ...that were both benign and inactive...meaning no inflammation or infection. We traced those back to my history of many years of undiagnosed hypothyroidism because of iodine deficiency and symptoms of constipation which contributed to the formation of the diverticular pouches. Fortunately, they never did flare up (diverticulitis)... but one symptom I noted almost immediately was low abdomenal pain whenever I took an anticoagulant for any length of time.... started with the old warfarin and then again with the new Eliquis (apixiban). Nothing else was new so it had to be those.

Years back when the diverticular pouches were found, a strict diet was advised that included no seeds, nuts or specific types of hulls (ie popcorn) that might become lodged in the pouches and cause pain and infection. Today, they no longer say to avoid certain foods. I never followed those instructions anyway because the doctor I had at the time told me to eat plenty of foods that contained natural probiotics.. fermented...such as sauerkraut, yogurt and use probiotics. That always worked for me without avoiding certain foods.

Since I can't go off the Eliquis for a while yet, the solution for me has been to load up on the high count probiotic which I mentioned previously... 50 billion active colony units per capsule and the S. Boulardii to help heal the gut tissue. It's working well and the initial pain is gone... but it took four months if not longer to notice improvement.

After you have the colonoscopy, you may want to start with a regular regimen of the probiotics.

Let us know how you are.
Jackie
May 17, 2015 03:13AM
Hi Jackie,
Thanks so much for this. And your point is well taken: I know there's something amiss, so I must have the colonoscopy. My challenge is getting through the next 3 weeks here in Australia, before I get home.

Today is the second consecutive day when there's been no obvious signs of blood - either on the tissue, or in the stools. Previously, I was getting both. So, I was really hoping I'd start to feel good again. But, after having finished the cypro 3 days ago, I woke up this morning with a sore throat, runny nose, chills and extreme fatigue. I've had these chills/mild flu symptoms for 3 months now - I'm sure they're connected to the bleeding. But I should be starting to feel better!

And though there doesn't seem to be any blood now, the other symptoms - nausea, loss of appetite - are still there. I would normally be thinking colorectal cancer, but I've had no weight loss and the loss of appetite and fatigue is pretty recent. I've also had no history of polyps, nor in my family.

It's a mystery, and I confess I'm becoming pretty depressed by it. Oh well, I just need to get through these next 3 weeks and then get a colonoscopy, quick!

Thanks for all your help.
May 17, 2015 09:39AM
David - Glad to help... sorry you are still ailing. With your other symptoms, consider that you may have picked up a parasite... You should definitely insist on a stool analysis for all types of pathogens to rule that out as well. Leave no stone unturned. Also make sure they check your ferritin levels as low iron can cause fatigue as well. Many factors to consider and perhaps you can do that there right now?

Keep in mind as well, that Cipro can cause nasty side effects... note here: [www.drugs.com]
Many people have been damaged in various ways from using it. It's a fluorinated drug and that's alarming in and of itself... I, personally, would refuse taking Cipro and would request something else. Do a Google on Cipro toxicity.

Sending an abundance of positive thoughts your way, David.

Jacie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login