Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What a miserable week....

Posted by lasik1 
What a miserable week....
May 01, 2015 01:43AM
Hello all- I have been an avid reader here for about a year and appreciate all the observations and wisdom expressed. My own AF journey started in 2010 with sudden onset AF on a cruise ship. The junior ships doctor failed to detect it and gave me IV adenosine twice. It was quite terrifying to watch my heart rate drop to the teens, then bounce back to 220. The senior doc was formerly head of critical care at a large Miami hospital and controlled me with IV cardizem, then beta blockers. I had my first cardio version two weeks later, thought I was cured until my second, third and fourth episodes over the next three years. This year I have had 4 episodes, two broken with IV cardizem, one with PIP propafenone. Last Friday another episode- no recovery with PIP propafenone, flec +/- sotalol and cardizem. My 4th cardioversion on Monday, now back in NSR on flec, cardizem and carvedilol.
Its time for a new approach. I can't enjoy life with my two boys if I can't go boating, to the beach or offshore fishing in our tropical island paradise. I have big plans for the summer- a boat trip to the Bahamas with my 12 year old, another cruise and camping in the islands.. All my friends are leaving tomorrow for a men's golf trip and I had to cancel. So, with Shannon's help, I made some arrangements and will soon travel to Austin for a better shot at regaining my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 02:27AM by lasik1.
Re: What a miserable week....
May 01, 2015 11:44AM
Just a curious question. Have you ever waited to see if an episode would end on its own?
Nancy
May 01, 2015 03:31PM
Yes- waited 3 weeks for first episode, several days for another- did not convert without assistance.
May 01, 2015 04:19PM
lasik1,

You are making an excellent choice. I recall talking to an EP about cardioversion 10+ years ago. His comment - how will I keep you in rhythm afterward?

George
May 02, 2015 02:15PM
Hi Lasik1, I fought af, as best I could, with lifestyle modification and PIP Flec protocol for about 10 years . I was relatively successful in getting my af burden to lessen over time but I couldn't eradicate it. It didn't interfere with travel but I was wary of exercise, or working out in the sun, as dehydration would always cause a problem. AF, or the fear of AF was a constant companion. Even when not in AF I was very tuned into what seemed like every heart beat. After a serious health scare I decided I didn't want to live like that any more. I had an ablation with dr Natale in NY and a touch up ablation in Austin about 6 months later. Shannon's guidance throughout the ablation process, and since then has been invaluable. I don't know if I would have chosen the doctor as wisely without Shannon's help.

I just completed two 9 hours days in the outdoors, almost full sun, building a doll house for a granddaughter. It is a very large doll house and it was physically taxing. If i didn't have the ablations i would definitely have gone into AF during the night. However all that's gone, I slept like a baby! I feel fine today and am getting ready to paint the doll house.

Now I have a relatively calm heart. I go for days without being aware of it silently doing it's job. I think of Dr Natale frequently and how he has changed my life. You put yourself in good hands. Best of luck to you. Dennis
May 02, 2015 11:38PM
Sorry lasix1 to hear of your Afib problems. They are probably similar to those many of us have experienced too. I had lone afib vagal type for 18 years along with bouts of bradycardia. My heart rate was an uncomfortable 38 sometimes and a more uncomfortable afib rate of 200 at other times. I ate carefully, wasn't overweight, and had no other health issues. It didn't matter. The rate problems were there just the same. The heart rhythm drugs had me driving through red lights and stop signs. My EP in Nashville wanted to give me a pacemaker and change rhythm drugs. With help from this forum I made my way to Austin for an ablation and got both problems fixed with one procedure two years ago.

In a recent recheck appointment in Austin, I went armed with a few AliveCor printouts of ECGs this past year which Dr. Natale told me to ignore. He said I didn't even need to take aspirin. The only risk factor he identified is that I am female. If I have any sustained afib I'm not to let it go over 24 hrs since I'm not on any blood thinner. However I'm fine. It's wonderful having my life back.

Best wishes as you go through this process. You are following the footsteps many of the rest of us have taken. You will do fine, too. Keep us posted on your journey.
May 03, 2015 04:30PM
Glad to see that you are making "your move" and seeking top medical attention to the issue. Mine is a long and sordid story of AFIB but you are going the right route. The sooner the better.

Jeez, when you said "What a MISERABLE week...." I thought we were going to get more snow in these parts. We just got rid of the last batch!

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login