Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I thought I was doing well - too much potassium??

Posted by Rick 
I thought I was doing well - too much potassium??
April 06, 2015 12:08AM
Over the last several months I was seeing good success upping my Mg to around 800 mg per day and taking 200 or 300 Mg of K. Then yesterday, I felt very light headed when getting off the couch. Weird. But a few minutes later I went into AF. OK, no biggee, it will pass. It did - in maybe 15 minutes. When I got up from lying down, I went into AF again. This happened 5 or 6 times yesterday. Hmmmm, maybe the K is causing my BP to drop too low and causing my AF???? Then this morning, I was doing a lot of bending and lifting - again AF! Tonight, I lifted a power washer (got to get rid of our west coast moss) - boom AF again....

Ideas???

Rick

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 10:50AM by Hans Larsen.
Re: I thought I was doing well - too much potassium??
April 06, 2015 08:50AM
Rick,

Always possible is is the K, however 200 to 300 mg is a pretty insignificant amount. Without testing (like a Cardymeter), it is hard to know. Your descriptions sound like adrenergic triggers to me. You could check your blood pressure and see. If anything, more like the adrenergic response when blood pressure increases when sitting up or lifting.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 10:51AM by Hans Larsen.
April 06, 2015 10:13AM
Agree that the 300 mg of K is likely not the issue.

/L

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 10:51AM by Hans Larsen.
April 13, 2015 01:36AM
I take in a minimum of 1.5 GRAMS of extra Potassium daily through Low Sodium V8 and often take another 1.5 GRAMS during the day, same way or via P.otassium Gluconate dissolved in Seltzer Water. Keeps my skipped beats, etc., totally at bay. I have my Serum Potassium checked regularly (at least once a month) to ensure I am in the range. Fastest way for me to have ectopic beats and all sorts of misery is to allow my Potassium to go low. 300mg. is negligible in the overall scheme of things I believe.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
April 13, 2015 02:32PM
"300 mg of potassium is negligible" depends on the person, what does their Potassium level check at? My Potassium level is usually around 4.5 which is good without any Pot. supplements. A few years ago I took some pot. supplements, as most people spoke so glowingly about it, well, it isn't for me, when I took some pot. supplements it caused me to have some small episodes of AF, quit the supplement and I was fine. I don't understand how some people can take so much Pot., I would say just be careful and listen to your body.

Liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login