Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Different a-fibs for different folks

Posted by JohnA 
Different a-fibs for different folks
March 25, 2015 10:04AM
I keep running into people who, when I tell them I have a-fib, say something like "Oh yeah, I have that, too. I just take a couple of deep breaths and it goes away". Or, "My uncle has had that forever. It doesn't bother him and he doesn't have to take anything for it".
I've only had two documented episodes of a-fib. Both times my heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest and tear itself apart. Chaotic pounding, is how I usually describe it. Kind of scary.
Amazing how a-fib can present so differently for different people.
Re: Different a-fibs for different folks
March 25, 2015 10:52AM
That's true, J.

Different levels of fitness, general health, diet, disease progression, personal factors, etc. -- can all affect symptomatolgy.

/L
March 25, 2015 01:30PM
John,

One of the variables is rate in afib. In general, those with very high ventricular rates during afib are much more symptomatic.

George
March 25, 2015 02:01PM
And I am one of those that present with a virtually normal pulse rate that did not seem to change in or out of AFIB. Only the EKG told the story, as well as fatigue and shortness of breath on exertion. Otherwise, even my GP on examining my EKG in his office did not spot the AFIB - it took a cardiologist examining that EKG to identify it. The EKG was a spur of the moment thing, asked for by my wife when we were at the GP as I was experiencing fatigue and shortness of breath on long walks or climbing stairs. On TIKOSYN now and I can go up and down the stairs two at a time several times in a row without shortness of breath or a great rise in pulse rate. Blessed NSR. Just wish the side effects of the TIKOSYN were not changing my quality of life in the mornings, etc. Once again we see fatigue and shortness of breath but remain in NSR according to event monitor studies. Am on the list for an ablation but another 9 months of waiting to go. I CAN DO IT.

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2015 02:03PM by Murray L.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login