Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

AF after 2 years sad smiley

Posted by anneh 
AF after 2 years sad smiley
March 21, 2015 06:41PM
Ironically I was at the cardiologists yesterday and got a good report on everything to do with my heart plus a prescription for Metropolol to be used if I go into AF. I was feeling great and I take CoQ10/Mag etc every day. So today I was drinking my glass of afternoon vegetable juice (I juice every day) when I knew my heart had gone into AF. Maybe I have forgotten what it is like but it seemed worse than I remembered. I did all my usual tricks which have allowed me to convert at home (cayenne/motherwort/Calm Mag/bearing down/deep breathing etc). One of my sons showed up and I asked him to take my prescription and get it filled as I was feeling scared. You see in the past year my husband was dx with dementia and this stresses me out with worry that if I go into hospital how will he manage etc etc. Funny btw that a few weeks ago he was hallucinating in the middle of the night and pounded on my bedroom door which startled me and I was surprised that it didn't cause AF. Anyway I took one 25mg Metropolol and instructions are to take one every hour for total of 3 doses to get my heart under 100. It seems like the one dose did it altho it still feels fluttery so not sure whether to take another? I am so disappointed that this has happened especially with everything else going on sad smiley anne
edited to update, I went back into NSR almost 2 hours ago. Just took the one 25mg Metropolol. Very disappointed that I had this happen, baffled as to what could have caused it sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2015 08:35PM by anneh.
Re: AF after 2 years sad smiley
March 21, 2015 08:33PM
Anne,

The Metropolol won't convert you, so your pulse will still feel fluttery. Sample your pulse for 20-30 seconds and if the average is < 100 BPM or close, I'd not take more of it.

I empathize with all of your challenges.

George
March 21, 2015 08:37PM
thanks George for the clarification, just updated my original post a moment ago smiling smiley anne
March 21, 2015 08:48PM
Anne,

Even veggie juice can be fairly high glycemic. Eating whole, raw veggies will slow the glucose absorption.

George
March 22, 2015 09:38AM
Hello Anne. Glad you converted so rapidly. I'm very sorry to read about your husband. Consider that stress depletes magnesium rapidly so most likely, you need to be adding more magnesium to your daily regimen just to maintain what was previously your "normal" dosing level that maintained your stability.

The function of metoprolol is to slow the heart rate to enable the opportunity to slip back into NSR again. In addition to your calming protocols, you may also find using L-theanine (200 mg) also for calming and adding extra magnesium and potassium gluconate, citrate or bicarbonate... about 500 mg in one dose may help slow your HR enough to allow speedy conversion.

Be well,
Jackie
March 22, 2015 10:05AM
Wishing you the best with everything, A.

/L
March 22, 2015 03:22PM
Thanks for the input from everyone, really appreciate it. Jackie can you recommend which kind of magnesium to use both on a daily basis and perhaps during an episode and likewise the potassium? I will definitely get the L-theanine, assume use daily? Thanks again anne
March 23, 2015 10:31AM
Hi Anne... Not ignoring you... but didn't want to give a hit or miss response to what kinds etc. On the forum, there are a variety of suggestions from others... about types of magnesium... and potassium... you can do a search on both names. I prefer the magnesium bisglycinate. (Albion patented process).. unbuffered powder form from Healthy Origins [healthyorigins.com] It's the true chelated form.

Check out this report so you understand the reason some magnesium forms are better than others....
[www.afibbers.org]

The potassium gluconate powder from iHerb is handy and easy to take. You probably can't find it locally, so you'll have to order it. One pound container is around $12. 1 teaspoon = 540 mg...and this is great to take immediately if you start to go into AF. And then to augment your daily food intake if needed. Your daily potassium intake should be around 4700 mg daily... food sources best... then supplement with the rest if you fall short.

You need to be sure that magnesium is optimized first inside the cells before loading with too much extra potassium... so ramp up the magnesium supplements slowly until you reach that bowel tolerance level and then back down slightly. You don't want diarrhea.

Hope this helps.

Jackie
March 23, 2015 05:45PM
Anne,
the most important drug to convert you is fleckanide (50-100mg) beside what was mentioned . It is the main drug in the pip protocoll beside a beta blocker.only your ep can prescribe it for you .
best wishes,

Ben
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login