Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sleeping left side or right side

Posted by alexe 
Sleeping left side or right side
February 26, 2015 10:53PM
Gentlefolk,

I have seen explanations on why it is better to sleep on the left side and alternatively why it is better to sleep on the right side.

Anyone who can tell me the preferred side is......... so I don't suffer from confusion about what to do when it is sleep time.

Thanks

Alex
Re: Sleeping left side or right side
February 26, 2015 11:14PM
Alex,

For many afibbers, left side is a trigger. When I've got my electrolytes right, it doesn't matter for me. When they're off, I have triggers, such as being prone on my left side, drinking cold water & etc. I've read other thoughts for other conditions, but for afib, left can be less than optimal. On the other hand, if you're not sensitive, it doesn't matter. When I'm sensitive, I can feel the ectopics when I assume that position. Today, it doesn't matter.

George
February 27, 2015 03:21AM
My condition is similair to George's, except that I am opposite on the effect of sleeping on which side. Left is by far better for me.
February 27, 2015 09:08AM
Alex - My history was that left side sleeping was a trigger and I trained myself not to switch sides during sleep. Eventually, as George notes, when my electrolytes became fully optimized, it didn't matter which side.

A reminder that this was a 2005 Conference Room topic offered by Patrick Chambers, MD, Right side vs Left Side
[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
Ken
February 27, 2015 10:01AM
For me, sleeping on the left side while in A-fib is VERY noticeable and difficult to go to sleep. On the right side while in A-fib, it is almost UN-NOTICEABLE.

Can sleeping on the left side be a trigger? Could be, but if one goes into A-fib while asleep, it may not be notice while on the right side, but will definitely be noticed if on the left side.

Left side is better for gastric reflux folks, so there is a dilemma for those with A-fib and gastric issues.
February 28, 2015 09:46AM
Right side... way better for me.

/L
March 02, 2015 11:42PM
Like George, when I'm not in a sensitive part of my cycle it doesn't matter. When I am, turning to my left side is the most dependable trigger by far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login