Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is Curcumin, Fish Oil, and Beta Sitosterol Safe Post Ablation?

Posted by tvanslooten 
Is Curcumin, Fish Oil, and Beta Sitosterol Safe Post Ablation?
February 06, 2015 11:58PM
I read Hans Larsen's Post Ablation Care article here in the Afib Resources and he said he took these three supplements for the first month after his ablation to combat inflammation. He actually used Zyflamend but I'm thinking I'd rather take Curcumin instead. My issue with Zyflamend is that it's loaded with tons of ingredients that I have no idea what they do or how they respond/react to blood thinners like Eliquis. I personally prefer simple ingredient productssmiling smiley

At any rate, I'll be on Eliquis for at least 3 months after the ablation. Is it safe to take these supplements while on Eliquis? Jackie already posted some info on fish oils and Eliquis so that's covered. I can probably safely take 4 grams of fish oil a day. However, I've read that Curcumin is also a blood thinner of sorts - or at least there are warnings about taking it if you are on Coumadin. As for beta-sitosterol I have no idea what that does as far as blood thinning.

Travis
Re: Is Curcumin, Fish Oil, and Beta Sitosterol Safe Post Ablation?
February 07, 2015 09:54AM
Travis... I have always used curcumin as a preventive/anti-inflammatory. When I started the Eliquis last summer, I eliminated the morning dose of curcumin and just use the evening dose which is one capsule (400 mg). I don't notice any problems.

Zyflamend is a great product and New Chapter is a great, reliable company.... but as you are thinking, I decided that I didn't want to add too many variables to the mix.

I would use a lower dose of the Omega 3 fish oils at least to begin 2 - 3 grams max ...at least for the first few months.

I have no personal experience with beta-sitosterol.

Jackie
February 07, 2015 12:58PM
Travis....I took all these supplements post-ablation four years ago, when I was taking Coumadin. No problems. Am off all blood thinners, and still taking zyflamend, fish oil, and beta sitosterol.

Louise
February 08, 2015 08:51AM
Travis: I took mixed sisterols, including beta, throughout my afib process, including pre and post ablation. My physicians, including Dr. Natale, all saw the list of what I was taking and nobody complained. Nobody complained about the 2g of Carlson's fish oil or the curcumin, either.

Of course, Elquis wasn't available then, 2007, and I was taking Coumadin, so perhaps different protocols applied.

FWIW, I still take the sisterols for prostate reduction, and it works great for me.

Gordon
February 08, 2015 05:23PM
Thanks everyone! Good to hear I can implement this protocol without too many concerns.

Jackie - I'll stick to 2-3 grams of fish oil as per your suggestion and see how it goes.

Louise/Gordon - did the protocol help you recover quicker?

Gordon (and anyone else reading this)...any specific beta sisterol products you'd recommend?

Travis

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2015 05:25PM by tvanslooten.
February 09, 2015 09:12AM
Travis: I like as many of my supplements as possible in powder form so I can mix a month's worth together with enough filler to take a tablespoon full dissolved in water twice daily. No coloring, no filler, no glue, no capsules - and less money.

I get the beta sitosterol powder from: [purebulk.com]

How can you tell if a specific protocol produced faster recovery? I recovered well within the timeframe suggested by Dr. Natale's staff.

It's worthy to note that your heart my have a period of adjustment as a normal procedure after an ablation. For example, I had a lot of PAC/PVC's, decreasing over a few months, wh ich I was told to expect. I had the monitor to feed data to the medical center for three months so I knew all was well and I now get almost no recognizable irregularity.

Gordon
February 09, 2015 11:45PM
Thanks Gordon!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login