Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CoQ10 Supplementation Lowers Inflammatory Marker in Heart Disease Patients

Posted by Jackie 
January 15, 2015 09:42PM
Michael T. Murray, Naturopathic Physician (ND), has been providing information about the therapeutic benefits of nutritional supplements for thirty years. He has an online newsletter that is worth reading.

This report on CoQ10 is a good reminder for all of us. If you don't know your HS CRP level, you should request the test.

Introduction
In addition to the major risk factors for cardiovascular disease (i.e., smoking, elevations in cholesterol, elevated blood pressure, diabetes, and physical inactivity/obesity), a number of other factors have, on occasion, been shown to be more significant than the so-called major risk factors. In particular, high sensitivity C-reactive protein (hsCRP), a blood marker that reflects different degrees of inflammation, has been identified as an independent risk factor for heart disease. In fact, hsCRP levels have been shown to be a stronger predictor of cardiovascular events than cholesterol levels including LDL cholesterol.

Elevations in hsCRP are closely linked to a number of factors including insulin resistance, increased oxidative stress and/or lack of dietary antioxidants, and the intake of pro-inflammatory fatty acids such as saturated fats, arachidonic acid (found in meat and dairy), and trans-fatty acids as well as a reduced intake of mono-unsaturated fats and the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish and fish oil supplements.

Background Data
As significant as hsCRP has been as a marker of inflammation in atherosclerosis, another marker interleukin-6 (IL-6) may be found to be an even more sensitive indicator. IL is a pro-inflammatory cytokine that is secreted by macrophages and smooth muscle cells in the atherosclerotic plaque. The inflammation caused by these components of the plaque are thought to be one of the chief causes of the plaque becoming unstable leading to the formation of blood clots that could result in a heart attack, stroke, or pulmonary embolism. Hence, it is thought that blood levels of IL-6 may reflect inflammatory reactions within the lesions of atherosclerosis with more sensitivity than hs-CRP which reflects more systemic inflammation.

Continue:
[doctormurray.com]

About Dr. Murray: [doctormurray.com]

Jackie
Re: CoQ10 Supplementation Lowers Inflammatory Marker in Heart Disease Patients
January 16, 2015 04:09PM
Jackie,

Is it correct that the Ubiquinol CoQH is the best way to get Cq10 these days?
Nancy
January 16, 2015 06:00PM
Nancy – for background on this topic… read the 2007 post discussing the two forms of Co Q… (link follows)

The current opinions are divided as to whether one really needs to spend the extra money on the ‘nol’ form or if the standard ubiquinone form is adequate. As quoted in the following clip, the aging process may reduce the ability to convert the 'none' to the 'nol' form.

Because I have mitochondrial dysfunction and because of my age and the potential conversion complication, I decided to combine both forms and I use 200 of the ubiquinol form and 100 of the ubiquinone form… always take it with the Omega 3 fish oils and a spoonful of expeller pressed coconut oil to ensure proper transport. Some days when I have less energy, I take higher doses.

Coenzyme Q10 - Review of Relevant Details
June 11, 2007
[www.afibbers.org]

Also – here’s a clip from Designs for Health which produces professional grade products:

The body uses two forms of COQ10. Ubiquinone is the better known form, also known as the oxidized form, used primarily for energy production in the electron transport energy cycle inside the cell.

CoQnol™ contains ubiquinol, the reduced, antioxidant form of CoQ10. Ubiquinol plays a primary role of decreasing oxidative damage caused by lipid peroxidation within mitochondria. According to research, plasma ubiquinol is decreased in patients with hyperlipidemia.

There is evidence that suggests that the ability to convert ubiquinone to ubiquinol may diminish with age, resulting in diminished protection against oxidative stress and reduced energy levels. CoQnol™ (ubiquinol) may provide a strong initial stage defense against cellular oxidative damage and requires supplementing to maintain optimum health. Consider taking CoQnol along with QAvail, highly absorbable ubiquinone.

Researchers at East Texas Medical Center found that patients with advanced congestive heart failure taking high doses of ubiquinone CoQ10 were not able to achieve adequate improvements in blood serum CoQ10 levels. When switched to ubiquinol, blood COQ10 levels improved dramatically with a consequential improvement in clinical symptoms and left ventricular function. It is also being studied for its effects on TNF alpha, and therefore, inflammation.

Both ubiquinone and ubiquinol are critical to the cellular ATP (energy) production cycle. Without the presence of both ubiquinone and ubiquinol within the body’s cells, cellular energy cannot be generated or sustained. The ability to convert ubiquinone to ubiquinol may diminish with age and with increased oxidative stress in certain individuals.
(Source: DFH Product Data Sheet Info)

Nancy - sorry to do this piecemeal - I should have offered this initially. Go to this link and read the writeup on the difference between the two forms... Not that I am suggesting you should buy this product or use one form or the other... I wanted you to see the info listed and the research references provided to back up the information on the DFH product data sheet so you can see the reasoning and why there may be differences of opinion on which form to use.
[www.rockwellnutrition.com]

Jackie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2015 06:12PM by Jackie.
January 16, 2015 11:48PM
Thanks Jackie,
Nancy
Dee
January 25, 2015 06:08PM
Good info, Jackie

Dee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login