Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

General Feeling about Epsom Baths

Posted by tsco 
General Feeling about Epsom Baths
January 08, 2015 02:58PM
What is everyone's thought on taking Epsom Baths to increase available magnesium. My research finds it is beneficial. Has anyone had any luck or tries at using Epsom salts to help in this area?
Re: General Feeling about Epsom Baths
January 08, 2015 03:39PM
Tim - . Epsom Baths are often effective when people have muscle cramps. Either a bath or a foot soak gets the magnesium transported through the skin. .

You'll probably still want to take some orally to ensure that your cell levels are optimized as much as possible.

There is the topical magnesium "oil"... or gel that ... that works quickly too. George N uses nigari flakes for topical application of the magnesium in that form. Shannon has mentioned a topical spray of magnesium chloride... I think it was this one: [store.activationproducts.com]

Sorry if I don't have the right name...(I'm sure someone will step in and correct me)... but most of them work similarly.
I use one that says the magnesium is from "Magnesium Oil From the Ancient Zechstein Sea beds"... works fast on muscle cramps.

Jackie
January 08, 2015 04:45PM
Thanks Jackie
Yes Ive tried two different magnesium oils and they tend to burn or dry my skin out ....bad.
I am making the Waller Water and maybe the Epsom baths in combo.
January 08, 2015 10:03PM
This link has a link to making your own lotions or creams with Epsom Salts <[www.enzymestuff.com]

Nothing wrong with the bath, but putting on lotion might take a bit less time & effort on a frequent basis.

George
January 08, 2015 11:39PM
I felt too there was just to much perspiring going on in a hot Epsom bath to permit much absorbtion of anything. So I resorted to Epsom foot soaks, plus magnesium spray along with the oral magnesium.
Ron
January 09, 2015 09:22AM
The Epsom Salts bath does not have to be "hot" to be effective.... but a warm bath/soak does take more time... and as RonB indicates, the foot baths are less time-consuming so you are apt to get several treatments in during the course of a day.... but, that said, there is nothing more relaxing than 20 minutes of soaking in a warm Epsom Salts bath before bed.... in addition to oral supplement fortification on a continual basis.

Jackie
January 09, 2015 09:39AM
A poster here asked about issues with her hot tub pumps & etc after she put Espsom Salts in it (several years ago). My ex used to take frequent Epsom Salt baths and I'm not sure it was great for the tub surface. I've always just made supersaturated water/Epsom Salt solutions (or with mag chloride for "magnesium oil") for topical application. Simple and easy.

Note Erling's comment here, which aligns with mine "About Epsom salts possibly being corrosive: when our daughter was about 8 or 9 she came down with intolerably itchy chicken pox, everywhere (poor kid!). The only real relief was being up to her chin in warm water with Epsom salts. By the time she was well again the porcelain surface of the bathtub had lost its shine, no longer smooth to the touch. Maybe some small fraction of Epsom salts (MgSO4) in water becomes very dilute sulfuric acid (H2SO4)?": <[www.afibbers.org]

Here is a link from Erling and hot tubs: <[www.poolspaforum.com]

George
January 09, 2015 09:47AM
I think for the skin issue with Epsom Salts baths, it helps to rinse off well after the soak; doubt you'd lose much if you soak long enough.

As for the surface of the tub, the fiberglass tubs may not be as adversely affected by the corrosive nature of the sulfate.

J
January 11, 2015 08:17PM
George, you may be referring to me (AFAIK, I'm the only one who has asked about adding magnesium to the hot tub).

I was concerned that Epsom salts were too corrosive, and was looking for an alternative. I've been using Nexa Dead Sea Minerals in my hot tub for many years now. The mag form in this product is mag chloride, and I have not had any problems with it. It's easy to maintain, and I use very little chlorine, because I use a silver sanitizing cartridge.

[www.spadepot.com]

lisa

So much of medicine is looking solely down the wrong end of the gun barrel, and that is really a pity for all of us---Shannon
January 11, 2015 10:20PM
Lisa,

Thanks!

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login