Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

News Flash Probiotic targets Cardiovascular Disease - lowers Biomarkers CRP and fibrinogen

Posted by Jackie 
News Flash Probiotic targets Cardiovascular Disease - lowers Biomarkers CRP and fibrinogen
December 04, 2014 03:40PM
This Life Extension report should be of interest to afibbers in that the probiotic in the spotlight (L. reuteri) not only reduces LDL cholesterol levels, lowers homocysteine and other risk markers…it also has a positive effect on the two Predictive Biomarkers we often discuss regarding thick, sticky blood… hs-C-reactive protein and fibrinogen.

Excerpts

This study also demonstrated the long-term benefits of such cholesterol reduction because of its positive impact on two important markers of inflammation: high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP) and fibrinogen. In the patients taking L. reuteri, hs-CRP was reduced by 1.05 mg/L (62%) and fibrinogen was reduced by 14%.

For subjects who began the study with hs-CRP levels in the average or high-risk categories at baseline, 27.1% of supplemented patients reduced their risk category by one or more risk categories (e.g., from high to average risk, from average to low risk, or from high to low risk), compared to only 1.7% of control subjects. And 22% of supplemented patients decreased their hs-CRP risk category by one risk group (e.g., high to average risk or average to low risk), compared to just 2% of controls.6

The Gut Microbiome
The human GI tract is home to more than 100 trillion bacteria per person. Together this giant population is referred to as the gut microbiota, or gut microbiome.11

These organisms have evolved along with their human hosts to produce a mutually beneficial relationship.11,41 Gut organisms produce critical molecules that humans cannot make for themselves, while humans provide a safe and nutrient-rich environment in return.11

All microbiota come from our mothers (at birth) and from early childhood environments, and this community of organisms can remain remarkably stable throughout our adult lives. Disruptions to the natural bacterial community, however, are not uncommon, and can cause at least temporary changes in the makeup of the community.11
Prolonged, or repeated disturbances, such as frequent antibiotic use or a poor diet, can produce more lasting changes, many of which are harmful to the body as a whole.11 Certain disruptions in the structure of the microbial community have now been associated with specific health problems both within the bowel (e.g., inflammatory bowel disease) and in the body as a whole. This can be seen most clearly in obesity, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and Cardiovascular disease.11,14,42

Also note the chart titled Expanding Roles and Mechanisms of Probiotics’ Widespread Actions.. The reference to Clostridium difficile infection caught my eye since I recently posted the saga of my friend’s serious bout with C. diff… (see below) and be aware.

Continue: Full Report with 64 supporting scientific references
[www.lef.org]

Jackie

Another alert as well......Re: Avoid Fluorinated Antibiotics if at all possible
November 19, 2014 04:43PM
[www.afibbers.org]

In addition to the precaution to avoid the fluorinated antibiotics, I wanted to share this alert.

A friend had a tender front tooth; endodontist prescribed Clyndamycin and recheck in a week. The recheck indicated no improvement so the dose was increased.

Shortly after, friend became very ill with flu-like symptoms and severe diarrhea. She went to her family practice MD who wanted to know the history leading up to her illness. When she recounted the tooth episode and the prescribing of Clyndamycin, his eyebrows went up… and he immediately tested a stool sample which revealed Clostridium difficile (C. diff).

She was prescribed Flagyl and spent over a week totally wiped out with severe fatigue, aches and constant diarrhea. Since C. diff is highly contagious, she was isolated in the upstairs bedroom and bath and family cautiously brought food to her. Fortunately, after about 10 days, she is recovering, still weak, but mostly functional and is out of isolation.

If I knew this detail, I’ve forgotten it.. but apparently, Clyndamycin is well known to cause enough intestinal dysbiosis that allows for C.diff to flourish. I recently saw my FM MD and related the story. She said… oh yes.. that’s actually a common Medical Boards question… She remembered it from her's in '83. Which antibiotics are likely to cause C. diff? Answer: Clyndamycin.

My comment was… Wow… both my ill friend and I are retired dental hygienists and I don’t ever recall hearing about that association. My doctor says that dentists know about it but still prescribe it. We thought perhaps since is is one of the older antibiotics now replaced with many new types that are commonly over used and abused…perhaps prescribers are now going back to the older versions of antibiotics such as Clyndamycin that have not (yet) promoted antibiotic- resistant pathogenic strains.

In any event…I wanted all readers to know and be aware if they take Clyndamycin.

I asked my friend if a probiotic was also recommended along with the Flagyl to help speed recovery of the intestinal tract. Answer: No. Figures.

My doctor also commented that the Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic (Florastor ® ) is known to help restore the intestinal tract after C. diff infection.

[www.webmd.com]
[www.webmd.com]
[rnblog.rockwellnutrition.com]

[www.rockwellnutrition.com]

This is just another reason why daily probiotic intake is so valuable in keeping the GI tract bowel flora in balance and healthy.

Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2014 03:42PM by Jackie.
I just had a colonoscopy. The gastroenterologist who performed the procedure looked at my chart and told me He had AFIB that was controllled by Sotalol. We discussed my Ablation etc.

Anyway, after the procedure was over with, I ask him if I should take a probiotic to help with the "purging" I just went thru. He emphatically said NO; It was not necessary and probiotics were a waste of money. He said our bodies are designed to correct this. He said probiotics is a billion dollar industry that is a scam.

He had no problem with my magnesium I take BUT recommended that I take Milk of Magnesia tablet to control my constipation issues but to continue taking my chelated Magnesium and Magnesium Citrate supplements.

The milk of magnesia tablets would mostly add water to my colon and not be absorbed by the body like chelated and Magnesium Citrate do.

Here is the problem; I do not disagree with you but many Doctors do and that confuses the regular person on who to believe.

I would like your opinion on this.

Thank you
Re: News Flash Probiotic targets Cardiovascular Disease - lowers Biomarkers CRP and fibrinogen
December 04, 2014 05:35PM
Smackman..... My opinion is this:

It would be good for you to read the entire LEF report for understanding of why probiotics are important for maintaining gut health...which results in overall health when they are optimized. People with dysbiosis have multiple problems typically go undetected unless specifically tested for and results treated with specific types of probiotics. That way, you don't have to rely on what a doctor may offer up as incorrect advice.

You can also refer to the report on The Gut Connection to Afib [www.afibbers.org] for more indepth explanation of the function of the GI tract.

In the realm of the next tier (up) of health care called Functional Medicine, one of the core diagnostic areas is the GI tract which includes digestion and intestinal functionality not only for elimination but to ensure that the entire GI tract is populated with all of the essential and often called "friendly" bacteria that promote health of the individual. This isn't new science, but is an area that is sorely neglected by corporate medicine.

You may not have been reading here when we discussed the important work by Dr. Michael Gershon. author of The Second Brain...which is about the function of the intestinal tract and its influence on overall health. You can use that title and search the archives for posts by Dean and others back when this was a lively topic.

Probiotics are so very important it's scary that a doctor would say they are useless and then quote the cost for probiotics when Rx drugs cost far more and are often harmful to the GI tract. Probiotics just replace the natural bacteria that can be destroyed by Rx drugs and lack of dietary food sources that replace the essential flora.

One of the fundamental treatments in Functional Medicine is to test the GI tract for intestinal pathogens and flora imbalances... Metametrix and Genova Diagnostics have specific Comprehensive Stool Analysis tests. When imbalances or deficiencies are found, specific probiotics are recommended according to their various properties. Typically, the classic treatment begins with the 4 "R" Protocol... developed by Jeffery R. Bland, PhD, who is considered "The Father of Functional Medicine" You can Google that or start here to read [www.ashlandmd.com] and this clip from another report on the 4Rs...[www.charlesgantmd.com]

Understanding the basics about growing
healthy plants and garden is helps us appreciate
how the GI tract heals. Adapted from the work
of Dr. Jeffrey Bland* and others, the strategy is
simple.

“The Four R’s”
• Remove offending organisms that
damage our “roots”—fungus, unhealthy
bacteria, and parasites

• Reinnoculate the GI tract with healthy
flora to assist our “roots” in extracting
nutrients and protecting us from toxins in
our “soil”

• Repair the “roots” themselves, the cells
lining the GI tract (enterocytes), with
specific nutrients these cells need

• Restore a healthy, non-toxic environment and improve the detoxification
process.

* Dr. Jeffrey Bland, Preventative Medicine
Update, Healthcomm Inc., Gig Harbor,
Washington, 800- 843-9660

Very old book offered advice on the importance of healthy gut tissue.... gets your attention immediately...
Death Begins in the Colon.... quoted below at this website: [nupro.net]

The warning “Death begins in the colon.” has been ascribed to Dr. Bernard Jensen, D.C. who, in some circles, is referred to as the “Father of Colonics”.

Dr. Jensen’s work concludes: ” … the accumulation of toxic debris and substances due to inadequate and infrequent elimination produce poisons that can kill you.”

No one is exempt – including you – from the affects of imperfect digestion and elimination. In fact, current estimates are that 85% of all Americans are affected in one way or another.
[end quote]

I'll finish with a story about my GI doctor whom I've seen for almost 20 years. When I was 50, I had the obligatory, requisite colonoscopy and the doctor then found and removed 2 polyps. Returned in a year, removed another polyp.
Returned in another year... and had the all clear for 5 years... Changed GI docs and the saw the new one every couple of years as recommended.

At one point after seeing him about 15 years, he commented that all was good and that I should continue to follow the recommended diet which was no nuts or seeds. I finally decided to tell him that I ate all the things he had said to avoid and they caused me no problems because I took a potent probiotic daily. I watched his face as I said that and the reaction was priceless. He was visibly shocked and I could tell he really wanted to know what probiotic I took, but he just smiled and gave me the date of the next recommended visit which was 7 - 10 years.

That same year, I drove a friend for her colonoscopy and was called in for the 'after procedure consult' to listen as a second set of ears because she was still groggy from the sedation. They had found some polyps and that was discussed. I asked if she should avoid the nuts and seeds diet and the GI doctor said... "No, we no longer advise that because it doesn't really make much difference." Again... no comment about using a probiotic and I didn't ask. However, I suggested to my friend that she use a quality probiotic daily .... and that was the end of that. She's not had any problems.

So.... it's important to understand that nutrients are absorbed through the intestinal portals or lumens and when the intestine is clogged with various collections of residues, bad fat accumulations and those portals no longer function well, then nutritional deficiencies abound, allergies and other sensitivities occur and a whole host of problems are found to be related to gut issues. In the case of magnesium and afib, if you can't absorb it, your chances of making much progress via nutritional support or optimization is severely limited.

There is much more to gut health than getting an all-clear by colonoscopy... Definitely important to screen out malignancies, but they don't look at anything else for the actual functional role of the intestinal tract.

Repeating my opinion.... learn all you can about the importance of a fully functional GI tract and that includes supporting with probiotics.

Hope this helps!

Jackie
Thanks. I will investigate deeper. You told me in a thread several months ago you would list all the medications you take daily meaning prescription and Holistic. I would love to see what individuals like you take on a daily basis and how much.

I list mine because some important things have been brought to my attention and also comments made about how many prescription drugs I take that are destroying me inside such as magnesium depletion from the Fentanyl Patch. I now take approx 800 mg of mg. a day without issue but its chelated and Magnesium Citrate. I have found that Magnesium Citrate does little for me as far as constipation which I assume my body is absorbing it. I already knew good chelated magnesium was good but it can be expensive.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
This is an interesting and timely thread for me. This morning we saw a neurologist for my wife. She continues to suffer the effects of a "minor" concussion she sustained in August. She fell as she was draging a small tree that was blocking a gravel driveway. In the process she hit her head and blacked out momentarily. The doctor says her concussion is now considered complex because it is taking so long to heal. He spent over an hour with us explaining what my wife is going through. His first course of action is to start her on a variety of supplements along with an order to get a good eight hours sleep nightly. The two most critical supplements he ordered were Omega 3 fish oil and a probiotic. He too described our GI system as the second brain. He explained it is critical for our GI tract to be in order and functioning well in order for all other systems to either heal or operate a maximum efficiency. An unhealthy gut effects ever other organ in the body. Basically my wife's brain will be...has been...very slow to heal in part because, in all likelyhood, her GI needs a little boost. Then her body will focus more effort away from the gut and to her brain for healing activities. That's a very simplistic explanation but I found this doctor to be very unique. He says he has traditional drugs in his treatment arsonal but has had the most success with a more natural strategy. We see him in two weeks and will go from there.

Craig
I feel many of these diagnosis and comments by Physician is all about Demographics. As I have said before, I live in a Rural area but the Doctors I go to live in towns the size of 100,000 and Shreveport which is approx. 200,000 much smaller than cities like Dallas,Atlanta etc. I live in North Louisiana near Monroe, Louisiana.

I have been to MANY different Physicians in the last 3 years due to numerous health problems and none of them push Holistic medications. They think most is a gimmick or money maker since the market is flooded with many different brands and most are not regulated by the FDA.

Because of this website, I take several Holistic medications but I will never be able to leave all my prescription medications behind because of my illnesses and I really despise that. I wish I took nothing but that is not foreseeable at the current time.

I do know many who are sold or believe in a Alternative way or Holistic way to treatment take a bunch of supplements generally. That is why I would like for someone like Jackie to list her daily Regimen of meds. It would be interesting and possibly helpful.

I have been Ablated so I am looking for good health, life longevity etc.
Re: News Flash Probiotic targets Cardiovascular Disease - lowers Biomarkers CRP and fibrinogen
December 05, 2014 02:24PM
I will respond yet today... stand by... out of the house until this afternoon.

Jackie
I am glad to contribute my daily regimen to the conversation. The foods throughout the day vary, but I try to keep protein and fat greater than carbohydrates. I follow the Mediterranean diet.

I have Lone permanent a-fib, and even though symptoms were prevalent for a long time, it was not until a routine annual exam with my primary care doctor five years ago that it was identified. I am 71 years of age and am fortunate that the alternative approach to treatment which I have undertaken so far has worked for me. I take no pharmaceuticals, but am realistic enough to understand that the future will most likely bring challenges which will require that I do. I also realize what is working for me is not generic. I understand your desire to find some balance to your health situation. The best to you in establishing such.

ATRIAL FIBRILLATION DAILY CARE
(Wheat/Gluten free)

MORNING:
30 Minutes prior to breakfast:
Nattokinase (2,000 FU; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Serrapeptase (40,000 IU; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Valerian Root Abstract (1 dropper with water)
L-Carnitine Fumarate (500 mg; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Taurine (1,000 mg; ¼ tsp with water on empty stomach)

BREAKFAST:
Smoothie (1 tbs raw organic coconut oil added to ingredients) Meal – changes daily but focuses on protein and fat
Almonds – 1/4 oz (6 nuts)
Cashews – 1/4 oz (6 nuts)
Brazil nuts (1 nut)
Supplements – Cayenne (300 mg), Magnesium Glycinate (1/4 tsp 380 mg), Potassium Gluconate (1 tsp 540 mg), Fish Oil (2 soft gels, EPA 800mg, DHA 600mg, 1,400mg Omega 3’s), CoQ10 (200mg), Gentle Iron (25 mg)

Breathing exercise (Andrew Weil’s exhale focus)
MSM/Lemon juice/Apple cider vinegar, tsp Potassium Gluconate with 16 oz water
Walk (30 minutes fast pace)

MID MORNING:
Pumpkin seeds - (small handful)
Sunflower seeds - (small handful)
Water

LUNCH:
Meal – changes daily (add turmeric root, paprika, ginger, dill, curry, thyme, and cinnamon mixture into the meal)
Raw beets and carrots
Garlic – 2 cloves
Supplements: Magnesium Glycinate (1/4 tsp 380 mg), Potassium Gluconate ( 1 tsp 540 mg), Fish Oil (2 soft gets, 800 mg EPA, 600 mg DHA, 1,400 Omega 3’s), Kelp powder ( 3 scoops, 300 mg kelp, 405 mcg iodine), Selenium (200mcg), Ginger Root Powder (300 mg), Vitamin B-50 Complex (varies by cool smiley

EARLY AFTERNOON:
Nattokinase (1000 FU; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Taurine (2,000 mg; 1/2 tsp with water on empty stomach)

MID AFTERNOON:
Almonds – ¼ oz (6 nuts)
Pumpkin seeds – (small handful)
Sunflower seeds – (small handful)
Green smoothie (4 oz)

DINNER:
Meal – changes daily
Supplements –Magnesium Glycinate (1/4 tsp 380 mg), Vitamin D-3 (5,000 IU), Vitamin K-2 MK-7 (1 cap 100 mcg), Potassium gluconate ( 1 tsp 540 mg with water), zinc (1 cap 30mg plus 2 mg copper)

AFTER DINNER:
Walk (30 minutes fast pace)

ONE HOUR PRIOR TO BED:
Fish Oil (2 soft gels, 800mg EPA, 600mg DHA, 1,400mg Omega 3’s)
Magnesium Glycinate (1/4 tsp 380mg)
Snack on protein food to boost adrenals throughout the night

BED TIME:
Nattokinase (4,000 FU; 2 caps on empty stomach)
Serrapeptase (40,000 IU; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Fibrenza (1,000 mg; 1 cap on empty stomach)
Wild Lettuce Extract (1 dropper with chamomile tea)

Note: Daily potassium to Sodium should be 4 to 1 ratio, so sodium should be no more than approximately 1,500 mg per day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 07:22PM by Larry.
Way too much fish oil.

Liz
December 05, 2014 08:27PM
Liz - Can you cite a scientific reference saying Larry's dose is too high?

Actually, Larry's dose of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids is on the low side. Omega 3's are essential to help prevent the silent inflammation that rages in bodies that are low in n3's and high in n6's... Many adverse health conditions are the result of inflammation that goes unchecked.

Afibbers need optimal Omega 3's to help keep their blood platelets slippery and avoid adverse clotting without having to go to Rx anticoagulants.

My FM MD recommended between 4 and 6 grams a day which she based on test results.

Here's a previous post on this topic:

....." There is nothing to suggest that anyone should load up on Omega 3 supplementation without regard.
Testing is always appropriate and especially testing the Arachidonic acid/EPA ratio.

A consistent dosing between 2 and 4 grams a day of a high quality, pure pharmaceutical grade
Omega 3 is known to be anti-inflammatory which always is the goal…. Lowering inflammation.
Higher doses should be done with medical supervision and for a specific target.

From an expert in the Essential Fatty Acid field… Barry Sears, PhD at the Metametrix website.

AA/EPA RATIO PROFILE - PLASMA
A Measure of “Silent” Inflammation

This unique test measures the ratio of arachidonic acid (AA) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) in plasma.
This ratio of the principle omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids is a measure of the body's eicosanoid balance.
Balancing the eicosanoids in the body is an excellent way for managing heart disease and other chronic and inflammatory processes.

Recently, a great deal of interest has been paid to the ratio of the fatty acids arachidonic acid (AA) to eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).

According to Dr. Barry Sears, author of Toxic Fat: When Good Fat Turns Bad, a lower AA/EPA ratio indicates
a better balance of "good" and "bad" eicosanoids in your body. An AA/EPA ratio of less than 3 but not less than 1.5 is considered to be ideal.

It is no longer considered "well" to have a ratio greater than 10.
Anything exceeding 15 means a high level of inflammation in the blood (Toxic Fat Syndrome) and requires immediate dietary attention.

AA/EPA Ratio features:
• True quantitative analysis of fatty acids
• Included with the 0041 Fatty Acids - Plasma profile and 0241 Bloodspot Fatty Acid profile
[www.metametrix.com]

Another website offers an excellent outlines the importance of measuring silent inflammation..
[www.expert-anti-aging-advice.com]

Another past post on this topic -

.... "You don’t have to take supplements but to get enough Omega 3’s, you’ve got to eat a generous amount of the right kind of fish every day and it can’t be fried. Either way, the body benefits greatly from having optimal amounts of these protective Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) which the body can’t produce on its own so to stay healthy, you have to eat daily or supplement.

It would be a huge mistake to stop consuming plenty of Omega 3’s.

The EPA and DHA components of Omega 3’s are highly protective to every cell membrane throughout the body …not just the cardiovascular/circulatory system but all organs including brain and eyes. Without a concerted effort to do otherwise, most often, people consume too many Omega 6’s and 9’s that offset these EFAs. Omega 3’s reduce inflammation; Omega 6’s increase inflammation.

For afibbers, taking a high enough daily dose becomes important since we want to avoid the adverse clotting effects of thick, sticky blood. Omega 3’s help keep platelets slippery and resist the tendency to clump while churning in the heart chamber during afib events.

A primary role in helping to keep us healthy is abundant intake of Omega 3’s repairs the outer cell wall (phospholipids layer) that is often clogged, stiffened or damaged by intake of bad fats (transfats) that prevents absorption of nutrients at the damaged nutrient receptor sites. Once the Omega 3’s have repaired the cell envelope, then nutrients can access inside and begin to work. When people report taking supplements don’t help reverse afib, it easily could be because their receptor sites are damaged or their dosing is too small or inconsistent to be of value. If the receptors are badly clogged, it will take time to reverse the damage.

The anti-inflammatory benefits from Omega 3’s either from supplement or a generous, daily serving of wild-caught cold- water oily fish are well known and should be a high priority concern for every afibber. The dosing in the following referenced report seems very low compared to the therapeutic recommendations offered in Barry Sears’ book, The Anti-Inflammatory Zone…Reversing the Silent Epidemic That’s Destroying Our Health…or the other Sears’ book…Omega Rx Zone – The Miracle of the High Dose Fish Oil.

Afibbers and others who test with high inflammatory markers or other clotting risk factors should be taking higher doses… such as 4 – 6 grams daily (at least) for maximum efficacy. If you don’t know all your marker numbers, you need to be tested so you know what needs work.

There are other previous posts on Silent Inflammation (see below). Omega 3’s help quench those fires and keep us healthy overall. And as Dr. Sears says… Silent inflammation attacks the heart, arteries, and even the brain — and you will not even know it.

There is far too much evidence supporting the overall health benefits of Omega 3 fatty acids to dismiss them as not beneficial.

ThIs three-part interview by Dr. Richard Passwater, (Whole Foods 2010), focuses on the many benefits of Omega 3 fish oils is highly informative. Note that he mentions the importance of eicosanoids and prostaglandins. For great information on this topic, refer to the Barry Sears weblink below.

Omega-3 Fish Oils: The Greatest Nutritional Health Discovery Since Vitamins:
Part One; The Discovery
An Interview with Professor Jørn Dyerberg, M.D.
[www.drpasswater.com]

Professor Jørn Dyerberg, M.D.

Dr. Dyerberg, professor and Dr. Med.Sc., has made several discoveries that elucidate many of the health benefits of omega-3 fish oils. Dr. Dyerberg made five scientific expeditions to Northwest Greenland examining the association between fish oil intake and coronary heart diseases in Eskimos. Dr. Dyerberg, who is Danish, hypothesized that the rarity of coronary heart disease among the Inuit population could be due to the omega-3 fatty acids in their diet consisting largely of seal and cold-water oily fish. Together with his fellow researchers, he went on to elucidate the unique physiological effects of these fatty acids. His research opened new fields leading to thousands of health studies by many. His own research encompasses more than 350 scientific publications primarily concerning blood lipids, atherosclerosis, the blood coagulation system, omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, trans-fatty acids and prostaglandins.

In 2007, Dr. Dyerberg was honored by the American Heart Association in “Recognition of Outstanding Scientific Contribution for the Advancement of Heart Health Worldwide.” In 2008, he received the American Dietetic Association Foundation’s Edna and Robert Langholtz International Nutrition Award. Hopefully, the Nobel Prize committees are studying his research.

Dr. Dyerberg has served as chief physician and head at the Aalborg hospital. He has been a professor in Copenhagen since 2001 and is currently a medical and scientific advisor to Napro-Pharma Ltd. (Norway) and Unilabs Ltd. (Denmark).

References
Previous posts on Silent Inflammation and the Importance of Omega 3’s
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]
[www.afibbers.org]

Barry Sears, PhD – Eicosanoids/Prostaglandins
Strange, mysterious, and almost mystical, eicosanoids are the key to our health because they control the flow of information in our Biological Internet (see Appendix C). Why are eicosanoids so important? They were the first hormones developed by living organisms more than 550 million years ago. As such they can be considered "super-hormones" because they control the hormonal actions of other hormones. Furthermore, you don't have an eicosanoid gland since every one of your 60 trillion cells can make eicosanoids.

Even though they are earliest hormones (dating from 550 million years ago), eicosanoids only were identified in the 20th century starting with the discovery of essential fatty acids in 1929. It was found that if fat in the diet was totally removed, rats would soon die. Adding back certain essential fats (then called Vitamin F) was found to enable fat-deprived rats to live. Eventually as technologies advanced, researchers realized that essential fats were composed of both Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids that both needed to be obtained in the diet because the body could not synthesize them. The word eicosanoids is derived from the Greek word for 20 which is eicosa, since all of these hormones are synthesized from essential fatty acids that are 20 carbon atoms in length.

The first actual eicosanoids were discovered in 1935 by Ulf von Euler. These first eicosanoids were isolated from the prostate gland (an exceptionally rich source of eicosanoids), and were called prostaglandins (a small subset of the much larger family of eicosanoids). Since it was thought at that time that all hormones had to originate from a discrete gland, it made perfect sense to name this new hormone a prostaglandin. With time it became clear that every living cell in the body could make eicosanoids, and that there was no discrete organ or gland that was the center of eicosanoid synthesis.

To date biochemists have identified more than 100 eicosanoids and are finding more each year. The breakthrough in eicosanoids research occurred in 1971 when John Vane finally discovered how aspirin (the wonder drug of the 20th century) actually worked: It changed the levels of eicosanoids. The 1982 Nobel Prize in Medicine was awarded to Vane and his colleagues Bengt Samuelsson and Sune Bergelson for their discovery of how eicosanoids play a role in human disease.
Continue [www.drsears.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2014 08:35PM by Jackie.
Jackie:

Everything I have read 3,000 grams are the limit to take, also how much fish and other foods does he consume, also, there have been articles about high fish oil and prostrate cancer.

iskincarereviews.com​/​2014_Rated

Too Much Vitamin A

One of the major risks of too much fish oil is hypervitaminosis A, a condition caused by excessive vitamin A consumption. A tablespoon of fish oil can contain as much as 13,600 international units of vitamin A -- more than the 10,000 IU upper tolerable intake limit, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. As a fat-soluble vitamin, excess vitamin A can't dissolve in your urine to be flushed from your body. Instead, it can accumulate to toxic levels in your liver and fatty tissue, causing noticeable symptoms. People suffering from hypervitaminosis A might notice hair loss, excessively oily, itchy or peeling skin or suffer bone pain. Excess vitamin A can also cause liver damage, dizziness, changes in consciousness and increased intracranial pressure.

Too Much Vitamin D

Consuming too much fish oil also puts you at moderate risk of hypervitaminosis D, caused by the accumulation of vitamin D in your fatty tissue and liver. High levels of vitamin D affect your body's calcium levels. Hypervitaminosis D causes calcium to leave your bones, enter your bloodstream and form deposits in other tissues, such as your kidneys. You might notice that you feel fatigued, irritable and dehydrated, lose your appetite and develop constipation and muscle weakness. Each tablespoon of fish oil contains 1,360 IU of vitamin D -- about 34 percent of the upper tolerable intake level, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.

Too Many Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Although omega-3 fatty acids account for many of fish oil's benefits, consuming large amounts of omega-3s can pose a health risk. High intakes of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid -- the two types of omega-3 fatty acid present in fish oil -- puts you at risk of excess bleeding and might increase the risk of hemorrhagic stroke, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Overconsuming omega-3 fatty acids can also dampen your immune system, since they inhibit the inflammatory processes your body needs to fight off infection. While the Institute of Medicine has not set an upper tolerable limit for omega-3 fatty acids, you should avoid taking too much fish oil to prevent side effects.

Additional Risks and Considerations

The amount of fish oil you should take depends on several factors, so you should consult your physician to determine an appropriate dose, particularly if you already take medication or other vitamin supplements. Individuals taking blood-thinning medications might be more vulnerable to the blood-thinning effects of omega-3 fatty acids, and require a lower fish oil dosage to prevent side effects. Make sure you also tell your doctor if you take other vitamin supplements, since taking vitamin A or D supplements in addition to fish oil can put you at a higher risk of hypervitaminosis A or D. If you notice any side effects when taking fish oil, stop taking it immediately and seek medical attention.
Elizabeth,

Lead in comments to the daily regimen which I shared noted that the regimen has worked for me, but may not be for everyone. Much trial and error, research and reading, discussions with doctors, and results of my yearly labs took place before finally settling upon the daily amounts of each supplement I take, and results from my labs over these past years have shown no signs of adverse affects from the fish oil, or from any of the other supplements. I have specific reasons for the 4,200 mg a day of EPA/DHA. With due respect, I found the "way to much fish oil" comment to be one of "I'm right, you're wrong" mentality, a final say approach offering no leeway for discussion or negotiation.

While I agree with you that many articles are available suggesting 3g be the upper intake limit, that does not mean conversation over. Most of those articles are from the mainstream medical perspective, where a different point of view comes from the alternative medicine practitioner. Even the American Heart Association recommends patients with elevate triglycerides take between 2 and 4 grams a day. The article you quote in your above thread even states "While the Institute of Medicine has not set an upper tolerable limit for Omega-3 fatty acids, you should avoid taking to much fish oil to prevent side effects." No upper limit is established, and I have experienced no side effects. I do have slippery blood where upon having a cut, has the viscosity of water yet coagulates quickly. My triglycerides are within a good range, my fibrinogen was 221 following last months labs. My primary care doctors (2, one being VA) and my Cardiologist all are very much aware of my approach to health, and review my supplement list without concern for the 4,200 EPA/DHA.

As I do not wish to belabor this, please understand I value your opinion and comments, but suggest that you not be so right-minded that you do not allow for choices which are being made by others and for which you do not understand.
Sorry Larry, whatever works for you, there should be give and take in regards to ones protocol. Sometimes I get a little weary of these so called nutrition doctors being cited as gospel, that we should take this supplement and that supplement, I believe in good food cooked from scratch along with some supplements not a boatload of supplements.

There was a blog dated 4 months ago "high dose fish oil friend or foe", you actually had a post in that topic, so this is nothing new.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2014 03:46AM by Elizabeth.
December 06, 2014 03:22PM
Liz - On the topic of Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids... following are clips from past posts gleaned from my notes when I attended a seminar segment presented by Barry Sears, PhD... who hardly can be classified as a "so-called nutrition doctor" ...

see his Bio and CV at these weblinks
Bio [www.drsears.com]
CV [www.drsears.com]

But first… read this recent response by Mark Hyman, MD to the report you are probably referencing:

Can Fish Oil Cause Prostate Cancer?
by Mark Hyman, MD

Whenever a newly published health study challenges current thinking, you can bet it won’t be long before the news media starts ratcheting up the drama and jumping to conclusions. This is true of a recent study called “Plasma Phospholipid Fatty Acids and Prostate Cancer Risk in the SELECT Trial,” published in the July 2013 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. This study suggests a higher risk of prostate cancer among men who eat omega-3 fatty acids, such as those found in fatty fish like sardines and salmon or in fish oil supplements.
Because I encourage my patients and readers to get plenty of omega-3s, I want to respond to these reports and offer my answer to the question they’ve raised: can fish oil cause prostate cancer? But first, let’s examine the findings.

What the Study Found
The study, which was conducted at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle, WA, claims a link between increased blood levels of omega-3 fatty acids and increased incidence of prostate cancer. The highest blood plasma levels of these polyunsaturated fatty acids, specifically EPA, DHA and DPA, were associated with the highest risk. The research also showed that higher levels of linoleic acid (or omega-6 fatty acids, which most Americans eat too much of) were actually associated with a lowered risk. This would suggest that the more fish or fish oil a man included in his diet, the greater the chances he would develop prostate cancer. It would also mean that increasing his omega-6 fatty acid intake would be a good idea.

So, have I led you astray by telling you to eat your fatty fish and limit your intake of processed vegetable oils that contain omega-6 fatty acids? Should I warn you against taking fish oil and instead tell you to eat more cottonseed and sunflower seed oils? Let’s look at the facts and decide.

A Closer Look at the Study
This study used what is called a retrospective case controlled cohort design. Simply put, to make their conclusions, researchers from the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center used data from a previous study conducted in 2011 called the SELECT (Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial). It’s important to note that the original SELECT study did not have the same objective as this current one. It wasn’t designed to determine whether fish oil led to prostate cancer. The fact that both studies didn’t have the same goal calls into question whether the old data is even relevant to the new study.

What we can be sure of is that association does not prove cause and effect. If this had been an intervention design study, where half the participants got fish oil and half didn’t and they were followed for 20 years to see if they got prostate cancer, then you can say pretty definitively that they are connected. Bottom line, this type of study does not prove cause and effect. If I did a study on sunrise and humans waking up, I would find 100% correlation, but that doesn’t mean that the sun came up because you woke up. Correlation, yes; causation, no.

Another problem with the study is that the researchers did not address whether the men who were studied got their omega-3 fatty acids from eating fatty fish or from taking supplements. Also, there was no regard for their health status before starting the study. Did they start using fish oil as a therapy once diagnosed with prostate cancer or had they been taking it all along?

And what about the myriad other factors that can lead to the onset and progression of cancer, such as how lifestyle affects genetics? Smoking, nutrition, exercise, environmental toxicity, stress: none of these things were taken into account. It is too simplistic to reduce a disease as complex as cancer down to one trigger. In fact, perhaps we should be asking if these men were exposed to toxins and heavy metals from eating mercury-containing fish, which can cause cancer. Or did the men smoke or drink to excess? Was there a history of cancer in the family? What was their personal health history prior to diagnosis? Were they overweight or obese, and did they have other symptoms of diabesity?
Another major flaw with this study’s design involves the way the researchers got their data. They analyzed blood plasma instead of red blood cells. And they did so with one single blood draw! The conclusions would have been stronger and more reliable had they used red blood cell samples, because those provide a more accurate assessment over the long term (plasma tends to provide only a short-term picture). Because the research was based only on samples of a single blood draw, the red blood cell analysis would have given a better picture of long-term omega-3 intake (a couple months of eating salmon, for example, instead of what happens in the body after a single meal). That’s why I suggest people use the omega-3 index test, which measures levels from within the red blood cells.

Consider the Japanese
If it is true that taking fish oil or raising your blood levels of omega-3 phospholipids increases risk for prostate cancer, then why hasn’t this been a problem for Japanese men? They certainly eat their fair share of fatty fish and have done so for generations! The Japanese (and other fish-loving cultures) have been studied many times to test this hypothesis, and guess what? Males in Japan, while having some of the highest levels of EPA and DHA, also have some of the lowest rates of prostate cancer. Only in the most recent studies have Japanese men been shown to have an increase in prostate cancer. Could it be that, as the Japanese begin to abandon their traditional diet of fish, seaweed, and other sea vegetables for the typical SAD (standard American diet, high in saturated fat and linoleic fatty acids), their risk of prostate cancer rises?

It seems that for every claim against fish and fish oil, there are several studies that confirm their benefits. One study, Consumption of Fish Products Across the Lifespan and Prostate Cancer Risk, showed that high blood plasma phospholipids was protective against prostate cancer when fish oil was consumed. Another study showed that omega-3 fatty acids protect against death caused by prostate cancer. And what about the effect of fish oils on the outcome of prostate cancer in men with elevated PSA levels? Again, the literature shows that EPA and DHA have no negative effect.

Personalized Medicine
It’s important to stop and remember that each person has a unique inner ecology and external environment. Contributing factors, such as exposure to environmental toxicity, poor nutrition, and other lifestyle variables, as well as genetics, all play a role in the development of cancer. It’s a complicated disease, and it would be a good idea to pause and look at the whole picture before drawing any major conclusions.

The simple fact is that countless studies have proven the health benefits of eating a diet rich in antioxidants and fiber from fruits and vegetables. And just as we all know that eating your veggies is good for your health, we are now beginning to prove similar health benefits from including healthy fats in your diet. (For more information on how to increase your intake of healthy fats, please see my discussion here). We also know that limiting omega-6 fatty acids and increasing omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to reduce the risk of diabesity in Western cultures.

So, before we toss good medicine aside, we need to examine carefully the factors that contribute to imbalances in the body. We need to assess what we do know and keep asking questions about what we don’t.

We know that a whole foods-based diet, rich in fresh, nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, and lean protein, does make a positive difference in health outcomes. We know that high-quality, purified fish oils are best. We know that a balanced and varied diet is key for maintaining good health. And we know that moderation is the key to a healthy and sensible relationship to food. Any diet or program promoting an extreme is not realistic, sustainable, or even remotely healthy. Remember, the “dose makes the poison,” so just the right amount—and not too much—will allow you to reap the intended benefits. In the case of fish oil, 1-2 grams daily is appropriate for most people, though some of you may need more. I strongly suggest you work with a trained functional medicine practitioner to help you determine the appropriate doses you need, not only for fish oil but for all supplements. My nutrition coaches are here to help you transform general guidelines into personalized solutions.

So, where do I stand on whether fish oil causes prostate cancer? I’ll be eating sardines in my salad for lunch tomorrow, and I’ll be taking my daily fish oil supplement with my dinner tonight. And I hope you will be too!

Now, I’d like to hear from you…
Have you been swayed by recent reports to feel that omega-3s can cause prostate cancer?
Will you limit the amount of omega-6 fatty acids you consume?
What are some of your favorite ways to include fatty fish in your diet?

To your good health!
Mark Hyman, MD

About Mark Hyman, MD
Mark Hyman, MD, believes that we all deserve a life of vitality—and that we have the potential to create it for ourselves. That’s why he is dedicated to tackling the root causes of chronic disease by harnessing the power of Functional Medicine to transform healthcare. He is a practicing family physician, an eight-time #1 New York Times bestselling author, and an internationally recognized leader, speaker, educator, and advocate in his field. He is the Director of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. He is also the founder and medical director of The UltraWellness Center, chairman of the board of the Institute for Functional Medicine, a medical editor of The Huffington Post, and has been a regular medical contributor on many television shows including CBS This Morning, the Today Show, CNN, The View, the Katie Couric show and The Dr. Oz Show.

Source: [drhyman.com]

=====

Following are clips from past posts from the Sears’ presentation….

Omega 3's are important for the antiinflammatory properties and to help maintain the integrity (flexibility) of the outer cell wall or envelope.

In the book by Omega 3 expert, Barry Sears, PhD - The Anti-Inflammatory Diet... there are references to dosages indicating with the supervision of a physician, doses of 9 grams a day help with psychological disorders. A minimum is 2 grams a day - 4 grams is better and if you are treating damaged cell walls, then 6 grams a day for 3 - 4 months is appropriate.
-----

From a 2011 post:

Jackie
Re: Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio

Josiah - the preference is to have much more Omega 3's than 6. So, that typically means supplementing. Lots of opinions out there on this topic but every seminar I've attended emphasizes the n3's.

Barry Sears, PhD is well known for his research into healthy fats. His Zone books are memorable. The Antiinflammatory Zone was out about the time I attended an Anti-Aging convention where he spoke... this was in 2004... following are my notes which may help you sort this out because he gives the reasons why the 3's are healthy and too many 6's are not.

There may be refinements to this thinking some seven years later, but the majority of it is the basic science behind the Omega 3 story. I hope it is useful. (I can post the Sinatra notes, Fire in the Heart, if that's of interest because he goes into more detail.)

Jackie

Ready for another segment?
This is from the A4M convention this section was on Treating the Difficult Patient
There was one group of presenters talking on Inflammation. I sat in on Barry Sears, PhD ( of "The Zone" fame) and the last portion of Stephen Sinatra, MD. Dr. Sinatra gave an abbreviated version the handout I’ve reproduced for you here. It’s like a mini book…loaded with nuggets of importance and was originally presented at another conference. I was elated to find it in my handouts.

Thought you like to print it for reading at quite times over the holidays. Food for thought, for sure. Motivation for making new resolutions for the coming year.

Happy Reading! Jackie

Dr. Sears talk was Does Silent Inflammation Make Medicine an Art instead of a Science? Dr. Sinatra covers this in detail below so I’ll only give you some nuggets from Dr. Sears and leave the rest to your reading.

Dr. Sears New Book - " The Anti Inflammatory Zone" is one to consider owning.

He emphasized that testing for the ratio of Arachidonic Acid (AA) and EPA is the most precise marker of Silent Inflammation (SI) it is a predictor decades before diseases manifest. Early detection and prevention.

For inflammation as in the case of NSAIDS using the correct dosage is critical. He says that as many people die from side effects of NSAIDS as from AIDS.

We must practice dietary endocrinology Glucagon is the Mobilizing Hormone; Eicosanoids are master hormones. Anti-inflammatory diets control Eicosanoids.

Everyone should be checked for fasting Insulin. Average is 10 and idea is less than 5. If elevated, people have a 5-fold increase of likelihood of dying from heart disease.

We must lose fat. Fat cells generate inflammation. Obesity has produced an epidemic of inflammation.

Pediatric concerns indicate higher BMIs and equivalent higher CRP (inflammation marker)
Elevated insulin increases hunger.

The best diet is a balanced diet (Dr. Sinatra discusses below) because too much protein increases ketosis which increases cortisol which increases insulin.

The brain needs adequate blood glucose and if you don’t put complex carbs in the diet, the body breaks down muscle to get glucose.

He said the Zone Diet to control insulin is easy. Cut back on grains and starches. Look at your plate. the low-fat protein portion should be no bigger than the size of your palm and no thicker. The rest of the plate should be filled with veggies and fruits and a small quantity of monosaturated fat..
Insulin and EPA - EPA is an inhibitor.

We need to avoid making Acharadonic Acid this is most toxic. Inhibit Cox enzymes with high dose EPA fish oils.
[aside:
1. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, omega-6 increase inflammation.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids are antithrombotic, omega-6 increase blood clotting.
3. Omega-3 are non-immunoreactive, omega-6 are immunoreactive.
Flaxseed oil contains alpha-linolenic acid but no EPA and DHA.
Fish oil contains primarily EPA and DHA ]

He says fish oils act the same as statins.
One of the most well known studies, the GISSI-3 {Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Sopravvivenza nell'Infarto Miocardio (GISSI)-Prevenzione}, in which 11,324 people were given 1gram of omega-3 fatty acids or control for 24 months. This large study showed that persons given omega-3 fatty acid supplements had a 45% decrease in risk of sudden cardiac death and a 20% reduction in all-cause mortality.
[GISSI-Prevenzione Investigators. Dietary supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E after myocardial infarction: results of the GISSI-Prevenzione trial. Lancet 1999;354:447-55. ] [www.ajcn.org]

Fish oil crosses the Blood Brain Barrier.
In Bipolar cases people given 9 grams fish oil a day showed 500% improvement. This is close to a medical miracle. In the Omega 3s the EPA is anti-inflammatory and the DHA supports the brain.

He says use fish oil rather than eating fish. All fish are contaminated they eat from the "“sewer of the sea".”

Daily Dosing: Total EPA/DHA Omega 3 Fish oil.
2.5 grams for Wellness Omega 3 and a TBS of cod liver oil
5 gms daily to improve heart function and if diabetic
7.5 grams to reduce pain and inflammation
10 - 25 grams for neurological diseases.

Fish oil has no impact on Coumadin. He says studies up to 16 grams a day show anti-clotting action the same as 1 aspirin a day.

We must test for AA/EPA ratio. which should be 1.5 and 3 respectively.
Called Isolated Plasma Phospholipids.

To use fish oils in elevated doses, it is important to do testing. This is not a guessing game. It will take 7 - 14 days to make a biochemical difference and this is a lifetime commitment the taking of Omega 3 fish oils.

Borage oil is a toxic nutrient as it goes right to AA - the very thing we are trying to avoid.

Lancet Eskimos haemorrhagic stroke study[journals.cambridge.org]

End of Sears notes
December 07, 2014 03:27PM
Smackman - Here's a “brief” summary of my daily nutritional support supplements…. As you requested. Sorry for the delay. These are determined by metabolic profile testing which shows how my body utilizes nutrients and what's needed for more support in various areas. I’m evaluated annually by my Functional Medicine Family Practice MD.

First understand that I'm 78 and have a long history of mis-managed ailments over the years by conventional medicine practitioners who were well-intentioned but totally ignorant about the body's nutritional requirements for optimal functionality; therefore, my list of protocols looks overwhelming. However, I’m pleased to report that I’ll be going into my 15th cold and flu season without being ill with either so something is definitely working with no major complaints.

The only Rx drugs I use are Eliquis until I have the 6-mos. LAA velocity evaluation and hopefully, I'll no longer require that. Plus, the Estrogen patch and natural progesterone topical cream. No other drugs.

All my water consumption at home is fluoride-free aquifer water to which the WW concentrate is added as my overall focus is on maintaining tissue alkalinity and therefore optimal cellular voltage. That's my #1 nutrient priority as an acidic body (which means low voltage) can't maintain healthy cells or make new cells.

I am gluten free and also mostly other grain free as well. I eat low-carb meals all prepared at home from scratch with organic foods if possible including optimal protein aiming at 20 grams/meal, healthy fat, vegetables and minimal fruit from low glycemic index/load categories. I eat lots of raw nuts and seeds as snacks. I often use a protein powder for a quick breakfast or lunch. No caffeinated coffee and lots of herbal tea. No desserts, cookies, etc.

With meals, I always use a digestive enzyme along with a super dose of a high potency pancreatin enzyme compound. And I always take a specific type of multi-vitamin designed for those with glucose handling issues as a preventive measure… called Metabolic Synergy – (I did become insulin resistant for the period of time I was using beta blockers- and it was extremely difficult to reverse.) Thankfully, gone now.

Here’s my list...I’ve probably forgotten something...

My core supplemental nutrient program:

Magnesium glycinate 600 - 800 mg…. sometimes more
Magnesium malate – 400 mg 3 times a week substituted for the glycinate.
Potassium – depending on daily food intake … add more potassium 500 mg at a time.
Taurine – 1,000 mg

First thing a.m. on empty stomach
Carnitine – Both Acetyl L and Carnitine tartrate… empty stomach 2,000 mg
GI Microbx
Inflammatone

With breakfast -
CoQ10 – both ubiquinone and ubiquinol – 300 mg daily
Vitamin E – Mixed Gamma E – 400 IU
Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids..liquid.. 2 grams… once off Eliquis, will resume 4 or more a day.
Vitamin D3
Selenium

Morning for specific health support – based on the testing:
Adrenotone – adrenal support
Thyroid Synergy – plus extra Iodine
Vitamin B Complex plus extra L-5 MTHF, Homocysteine Supreme, B12, and P5P
N-Acetyl Cysteine
Mitochondrial NRG and PQQ

Bedtime
Curumin complex
Probiotic – high count 30 billion
Tocotrienol form of vitamin E
Vitamin K MK7
Epicor
DHEA
Pregnenolone
Once off Eliquis, I hope to resume, Nattokinase and Ginkgo biloba

Evening: A special drink mix called the NO Protocol to aid in keeping arteries clear which includes L-arginine, L-citrulline, R Lipoic acid to which I also add Arthroben for the extra BioCell collagen content, L-glutamine for healthy GI tract and often extra fiber powder.

For stress reduction, I use L-theanine, or PharmaGaba and Bach Flower Rescue Remedy
I have no sleep issues but I do have stress so these are helpful.

For Macular Degeneration - OccuForce (multi for eyes) plus extra zinc

As you might imagine, I spend a lot of time gobbling up capsules but I try to use as much powdered product as is available which simplifies the intake.

I’ve just done another NutrEval (Genova Diagnostics) so there may be areas that need adjustment.

Formerly, I had various systemic malfunctions, now resolved after concentrated focus of targeted nutrients… which included:
Insulin Resistance - resolved
Adrenal Burnout - resolved
Hypothyroidism – took Armour Thyroid for many years… resolved by adding more Iodine
Thyroid Nodules – about 50% have disappeared thanks to Iodine supplements
Lots of ‘arthritic’ type pain – gone once I eliminated gluten and alkalized with foods and the WW.
I have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities) from an unfortunate chemical exposure from long ago.

The chronic Lyme condition that caused the Afib flare from 2012 – 2014 from Lyme carditis certainly didn’t do me any favors and I’m reluctant to attempt treating that again. Hopefully, treating to subdue the elevated EB titres will be successful and without incident so I can relax now that the second ablation has quieted my heart.

I have learned so much about the implications of stealth infections relating to arrhythmias that I’ll eventually be posting an informative report because many people have these underlying, smoldering infections that cause inflammation of the heart and then arrhythmia… but doctors aren’t looking there as a cause of Afib. The risk is that these underlying infections can progress to neurological disorders.

Healthy regards,

Jackie Burgess

Age 78
Afib onset 1995
Ablated by Andrea Natale 2003, 2014
Heart feels rock solid again
LAA evaluation in Feb/Mar 2015
Onward->
winking smiley
Jackie,

I am almost 57 and I have never heard of a Functional Medicine Family Practice MD. Once again, this probably has to do with Demographics or where one resides.

That is a lot of supplements IMO but if that is what you feel works best for you great. It also has to a rather expensive monthly cost for all those different supplements.

I have insurance so my prescription drug cost is less than the Holistic drugs I currently take.

My future goal is to try and get off the Fentanyl Patch; It will be Hell on wheels but I doubt it does much for my chronic back pain anymore after 8 years of usage and never increasing in dosage.

I tried the L-theanine for anxiety but it did nothing for me. So, I take Klonopin.

The Elavil and Neurontin are for my IC/CPPS chronic issue.

Thanks for the list. I am always open to learning new techniques in the world of medications.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2014 08:18PM by Hans Larsen.
Jackie,

Nice. Very thorough overview and one which I would think many can benefit from. Those with an inquiring mind and an interest in Functional Medicine now have a model to work with in developing their own protocols. When I first learned that I had A-fib and found this discussion forum, it was information such as what you just provided that I longed for. I am sure there are many today that welcome such.
December 07, 2014 11:14PM
Smackman…(David) ..is that correct?

First, let me comment that I can’t begin to imagine the pain, suffering, stress and anguish you have endured and then to have Afib on top of all that is just unthinkable. My heart just breaks for your past journey of misery… and yet, here you are, posting and offering suggestions to help others. Thank you for your participation. Namasteˊ

It may be difficult for you to wean off the Fentanyl patch without some adjunct measures to help divert the attention from the pain. Nerve function and eliminating the inflammatory aspects can be helped with a variety of holistic type interventions including acupuncture to open meridian pathways and create energy flow which can be aided with therapeutic massage. Biomodulator treatment would be the ultimate. And of course, always, maintaining an alkaline tissue pH to optimize healing through optimal cellular voltage.

Having had my own misery from severe surgical procedures which pale by comparison to your trauma, I have learned from experience that herbals, essential oils and physical manipulations as in therapeutic massage help immensely to gain functionality without pain but it takes time and the use practitioners outside the realm of the current medical establishment. It’s actually what initiated my journey into holistic healing and eventually led me to my current FM MD.

I’d like to share with you the following about the Functional Medicine.....

...." The concept of Functional Medicine began about 35 years ago when Jeffrey Bland, PhD began the Institute for Functional Medicine but long before that we had tribal healers of the Amazon and our own native American Indian healers, MDs who were holistic type healers, acupuncturists, chiropractic physicians, orthomolecular medicine practitioners, naturopathic physicians (NDs) and in more recent years, a consortium of all types of practitioners using Anti-Aging medicine who include many well-known MDs, NDs, DCs and more. Learn more: [www.functionalmedicine.org]

Now the Institute for Functional Medicine has a formal program and certification for the next level of medical education based on nutrition for treating patients to discover the core causes or etiology of health ailments rather than just prescribe drugs or surgery to mask symptoms or cut away the offender. It does not take the place of quality emergency care for traumas.

Terms such as holistic, alternative medicine, integrative medicine have been used in the past but lacks the FM certification that assures a consistency in methodology and competency for diagnosing and subsequent nutritional support treatment.

Here’s a statement from the IFM website

....."In the early years, IFM’s annual symposium focused on bringing cutting edge research to the attention of an eclectic audience of scientists, medical doctors, chiropractors, nutritionists, and other health professionals. There was a growing excitement about the new findings and an ardent desire to hear from experts whose original research opened up new vistas for thinking about health and disease. The emerging science delved deep into physiology and biochemistry—moving way past the more simplistic one-disease—one-drug research that had been driving medical thinking since the mid-20th century. The nationwide movement to embrace complementary and alternative medicine added fuel to the fire, as clinicians of every discipline began to understand the underlying common pathways to disease as well as the individual expression of disease created by the unique, ongoing interactions among genetics, environment, and lifestyle that shape our lives.

This early phase in the development of Functional Medicine gradually gave way to a demand for clinical applications of the new information and ideas. It wasn’t enough to get excited about the research and its implications—IFM attendees wanted to take home practical clinical tools that would enable them to apply their new knowledge for the benefit of their patients. The AFMCP intensive arose to meet this need. Shortly thereafter, IFM became a freestanding, independent, nonprofit organization—a change that allowed it to focus entirely on an educational mission, free of any commercial connections.

As the research base matured, IFM’s program team began to work on a framework for sorting and applying the findings in clinically relevant ways. They studied and articulated the common principles that categorized this new field of Functional Medicine, and they developed models for applying the science. During this era, the Functional Medicine Matrix Model was born, including the core concepts of antecedents, triggers, and mediators; the integration of lifestyle into evaluation and treatment; and the central concept of an interconnected web, binding all elements of body (physiology, biochemistry), mind, and spirit.
- See more at: [www.functionalmedicine.org]
[end quotes]

I live in the Cleveland (Ohio) area with two very large hospital systems – Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals plus the Case-Western Reserve School of Medicine. There is an abundance of traditionally-educated medical practitioners who typically know little about nutritional deficiencies related to health other than the textbook obvious. Their eyes glaze over if you mention supplements. In September, the Clinic announced they would be opening a new Functional Medicine Center to be headed by Mark Hyman, MD, chairman of The Institute for Functional Medicine, whose offices are in Washington state and New Mexico, and who is founder of The UltraWellness Center in Massachusetts.
See more: [my.clevelandclinic.org]

I’m mentioning this because I never thought in a million years that the Clinic would span this gap and I’m looking forward to observing how the concept unfolds and how the current physician population will be educated to utilize the advantages of Functional Medicine practice.

I’m also mentioning this because of your statement about not ever hearing about Functional Medicine and you aren’t alone… but stay tuned as the movement is gaining momentum which is very welcome news for patients suffering with chronic illness and children who are exposed from in-utero forward to what is now a toxic environment from a variety of sources not the least of which is the sad state of what Big Food offers.

I most sincerely wish you well in your recovery journey now that your heart is calm. Just proceed slowly with an eye toward natural solutions and the repletion of what the body needs to repair itself.

Best to you,
Jackie
Thanks Jackie. I am doing much better since my AFIB is under control but this bladder/CPPS issue that has refereed pain to the tip of my "manhood" has been a thorn in my side since Oct. 2012. It is better but it keeps me with chronic Anxiety.
. The FORMER AFIB with the back issue and also this bladder/CPPS issue keeps me searching all the time for answers. I admit, It has been the toughest time of my life, that is the last 4 years. I have a wonderful wife who stands with me thru thick and thin. My 2 girls age 33 and 31 are also a great loving support.

This Forum is also a big support for me. SO many nice helpful loving individuals whom I have made friends for life.
I am blessed in so many ways. I will beat this chronic bladder/CPPS issue.

David

I also wanted to say I was drinking the WW water almost everyday but then one day I figured out why I kept belching after eating. It was the WW water and I did not drink it with meals. The belching got so bad that food was in the belch.
I stopped the WW water and that issue went away. I know there has to be a balance somewhere in the stomach as far as acidity goes to be able to digest food properly. Obviously, I was out of balance.

We have no Holistic Doctors where I live. Doing this regiment without assistance and lots of money makes it impossible for me to go as far as some do. I am not criticizing anyone; just stating it will not work for me unless I am missing something here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2014 04:06PM by Hans Larsen.
What is the difference between a Holistic doctor and this Functional medicine?

To me it sounds like a lot of hoopla, I would assume med. insurance does not cover this.

[www.sciencebasedmedicine.org]
December 08, 2014 03:54PM
Liz - if you read through the Institute of Functional Medicine's website, you'll learn the answers.

In fact, most of the tests that are ordered by FM practitioners are covered both by Medicare and some private insurances. Holistic is a rather generic term indicating that the practitioner looks at the "whole" body ie, holistic approach... to determine the underlying cause of the health complaint and correcting that at the source.

Jackie
December 08, 2014 04:06PM
David said....

Thanks Jackie. I am doing much better since my AFIB is under control but this bladder/CPPS issue that has refereed pain to the tip of my "manhood" has been a thorn in my side since Oct. 2012. It is better but it keeps me with chronic Anxiety.
. The FORMER AFIB with the back issue and also this bladder/CPPS issue keeps me searching all the time for answers. I admit, It has been the toughest time of my life, that is the last 4 years. I have a wonderful wife who stands with me thru thick and thin. My 2 girls age 33 and 31 are also a great loving support.

This Forum is also a big support for me. SO many nice helpful loving individuals whom I have made friends for life.
I am blessed in so many ways. I will beat this chronic bladder/CPPS issue.

David

I also wanted to say I was drinking the WW water almost everyday but then one day I figured out why I kept belching after eating. It was the WW water and I did not drink it with meals. The belching got so bad that food was in the belch.
I stopped the WW water and that issue went away. I know there has to be a balance somewhere in the stomach as far as acidity goes to be able to digest food properly. Obviously, I was out of balance.

We have no Holistic Doctors where I live. Doing this regiment without assistance and lots of money makes it impossible for me to go as far as some do. I am not criticizing anyone; just stating it will not work for me unless I am missing something here.

My response: I know you will find answers to the bladder situation. As I research, I always keep you in mind in case something relevant surfaces. Now that your heart is calm, you can gradually make progress back to health.
I'm so glad you have a loving, supportive family. That makes all the difference.

The WW with meals can be a problem for some people so I'm glad you stopped that practice. You should, however, use it regularly between meals as a healthy body is one that has alkaline tissues....rather than acidic because acid tissue supports disease.

I understand limitations for finding holistic doctors and the expense of often paying out of pocket. I went that route because conventional medicine had no answers other than drugs to which I was highly sensitive and it made no sense to continue down that road. It paid big dividends for me in the long run so that's why I'm a strong advocate for others to become educated and conversant in what mainstream medicine is missing with chronic type ailments.

Best to you,
Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login