Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Resting heart rate low?

Posted by smackman 
Resting heart rate low?
November 30, 2014 04:45PM
My resting heart rate at night time and 1st thing in the morning is in the low 50's. Is this bad? My heart rate does go up when I am active.

Is the magnesium causing my heart rate to be lower? I am a little concerned about this low number.

I have went over my medications I take and my blood pressure pill will cause a lower heart rate but I only take 25 mg ER Metroprolol 1X A DAY first thing in the morning. None of my other medications show slower heart rate as a big side effect.

Maybe I am getting paranoid for no reason. Dr. Natale's nurse has seen it at 52 bpm while I am sleeping.

Any input to this would be appreciated.

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
Re: Resting heart rate low?
November 30, 2014 05:15PM
Smack,

In my opinion, heart rates in the 50's are not a worry. They are pretty common.

Magnesium has not changed my resting HR. As you know, I take 4-5g/day. Before I ever supplemented, my resting HR was in the low 50's, where it is today. On my monitor's I can be in the 40's when I sleep. 8-9 years ago, it was even in the high 30's during sleep. I did think that was a bit low. Just sitting in a meeting, my HR can be 54. So I would not worry about it.

George
November 30, 2014 06:13PM
Thanks George.

I am also prepping tomorrow for a colonoscopy. I have been giving GoLYTELY to "purge" my colon.

Should I take Magnesium the same day I drink this nasty mess?
November 30, 2014 07:30PM
If you have a powder, that is probably OK. I wouldn't take tablets. Since you are ablated, probably not a big deal. As somebody who is not ablated and I need my mag to stay in rhythm, I did take dissolved mag. I also used GoLYTELY successfully.

Enjoy!
December 01, 2014 12:02AM
After my August ablation, my heart rate then was 59. Dr. Natale told me he didn't want it to be that low and not to take any betablockers. Now, almost 4 months later, my "walking around" HR is typically in the mid-sixties which is where it was prior to the ablation. Undoubtedly it is lower during sleep and I know it is in the 80's and higher when exercising.
I continue taking magnesium at the doses I've always used which is 600 - 800 mg daily.

With all the Rx drugs you take, I doubt if your magnesium level is causing the lower heart rate as drugs deplete magnesium quickly.

Good luck with your colonoscopy.

Be well,
Jackie
December 01, 2014 12:04AM
I think I will take 200 mg chelated Magnesium 3 hours before I start drinking that solution. Chelated Magnesium seem to not affect me as far as loose stools up to 800 mg. My thinking is to keep some magnesium in my body while I am "purging".
Does that make sense?

I generally take 200 mg of Chelated and 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate everyday.
December 01, 2014 03:33AM
Smackman,
I'm also scheduled for a colonoscopy, for Wed Dec 3, using TriLyte to purge.
Now all you BOYS and GIRLS have you all scheduled your procedures including endoscopies....The big bad AFIB monster might not get you but the one in your colon and , throat and stomach might..... will........
This has been a Public service announcement from the McHale Radio Network.

McHale
December 01, 2014 03:59AM
My resting Heart rate was as low as 52 per Dr. Natale's nurse when I talked to her last week. Nothing negative was said about it and she said everything was looking good. I called to ask about being off the aspirin for a week for the colonoscopy.

I guess age could have something to do with it? I am 56.

I take 5 prescription drugs and 3 of them are as low of dose as can be prescribed.

I do have ongoing issues that Holistic drugs will not correct. If I had my choice, I would be drug free.

None of the 5 prescription drugs I take say they will cause Bradycardia; most say the opposite. The little dose of Metroprolol I take (25 mg ER IX a day) should cause little issues with slower heart rate says my cardiologist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 12:26PM by smackman.
December 01, 2014 03:59AM
sorry, double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 04:02AM by smackman.
December 01, 2014 06:51PM
Smackman... I fully understand that you must use the drugs you do.. and I know you'd prefer not to use them. My emphasis was that I didn't think taking the magnesium that you do would affect your heart rate because it's likely that not much is actually hanging around long due to the drug depletion effects .. that was what I was attempting to say....sorry if my response was unclear.

Certainly, my age versus yours may make a difference... but if you are are concerned about your HR being low, then ask Dr. Natale's nurse about it at your next communication.

Jackie
December 01, 2014 09:10PM
I did ask her and it is in my last post; Post 237above:

My resting Heart rate was as low as 52 per Dr. Natale's nurse when I talked to her last week. Nothing negative was said about it and she said everything was looking good. I called to ask about being off the aspirin for a week for the colonoscopy.

Next year my goal will be to get off the Fentanyl Patch if I can do so without taking away from my Quality of life. I have severe Facet nerve pain in the lower Thoracic area of my back and nerve pain from the surgery in 2006 where they cut me open like a can opener on my left side to replace T11 and T12 with a titanium cage grafted with a half rib to fuse the cage from my left side and a a Titanium plate and bolts to secure everything.

I tapered myself off Hydrocodone 10/500 in early 2013. I was taking up to 5 a day for break through pain. It was Hell, but I did it.
December 01, 2014 11:29PM
My heart rate has returned to pre-ablation levels. So just before sleep and on waking I can be same as you in the low 50's, normally sits about 60 at rest or when I am sitting quietly working but scoots up to a normal 70'ish the rest of the time. Pre-ablation I did not tolerate betablockers well, they zombified me and I weaned myself off them ! Post-ablation I am now totally drug and afib free.
I am not super fit but I walk the dog daily and do pilates twice a week with occasional visit to the gym where I can push my rate up to 170. I don't feel sick or fatigued with the low rate and my EP was not concerned. I have always had a slow heartbeat, my party trick in younger days was to slow my heart rate at will by 10 beats a minute and I can still do that nowadays just not to such a great degree. I reckon we just have hearts that have learned to be efficient when the body is resting-no bad thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 11:30PM by Heather.
December 01, 2014 11:59PM
I am considering going off the Metroprolol ER that I am using for blood pressure. I only take 1 25 MG ER pill a day first thing in the morning. I guess that low dose could be lowering my heart rate.

I am no athlete. I am 6' 2" and weigh approx 215 lbs. I do walk sometimes 20 miles a week but have not lately due to rain, cold etc. I can easily walk 4 miles without issue.

I would rather my resting heart rate not be in the low 50's but it does increase when I get up and move around. This morning, my resting heart rate was 70 bpm but I had showered and I also was anxious about this Colonoscopy Prep I did today. It went as well as could be expected but............
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login