Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PPI

Posted by judianne 
PPI
November 11, 2014 06:11PM
Can anyone tell me why they prescribe Pantaloc (a PPI) prior to an ablation?. I know it eliminates stomach acid...and perhaps GERD, etc. but this hasn't been a problem for me. I'm on it a week before my procedure and for 5 weeks following.

Also, those who were very helpful with my warfarin problems may be interested to know that I'm now happily (perhaps not the absolutely correct word) taking Eliquis and so far, so good. Someone was asking about food/supplement interactions with Eliquis. According to my pharmacist, grapefruit juice is the only problematic food. But they seem to be quite down on fish oil...and other anti-platelet substances (including aspirin). My preliminary information suggests there are less food issues with Eliquis than warfarin but on a first take the potential drug interactions may be similar in terms of numbers. The only pain killer he seemed happy with was Tylenol. And the cautions re: any alcohol, such as wine, are similar.
Re: PPI
November 12, 2014 11:13AM
When they do an ablation they are very close or at the esophagus wall. One risk is that they heat the wall too much and actually burn through or damage the esophagus with heat either way just the burning close to the wall may cause irritation and if any stomach acid is present it will greatly irritate you!
Re: PPI
November 13, 2014 11:27AM
thank you for that information. I wasn't aware of that little wrinkle.
Judianne
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login