Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bluebonnet Magnesium

Posted by Maryann 
Bluebonnet Magnesium
September 11, 2014 09:17PM
Anyone have any comments about Bluebonnet Chelated Magnesium Glycinate now being buffered with Magnesium Oxide?
Noticed this on the new bottle I just got. Says it is to increase the alkalinity making it more gentle on the digestive tract and easier to absorb.
Good thing or not?
I've never been a fan of magnesium oxide.

Thanks for the information.
Maryann
Re: Bluebonnet Magnesium
September 12, 2014 09:48AM
Marryann... apparently Albion has changed their formulation. I'm not at all happy about seeing the magnesium oxide on the labeling and am looking for another source.

As I understand it, the point of using the chelated version of magnesium is to bind the magnesium to the amino acid which carries it through the stomach acid, in tact, so buffering is not an issue. So the change is baffling to me at this point. The oxide is just 'filler' as it is definitely more inert or far less bioavailable than other forms of magnesium.

I'll be researching the labeling changes to learn more.

Jackie
September 12, 2014 10:35AM
I've been using magnesium malate from AOR, because it seems to work and it does NOT contain magnesium stearate.
Magnesium stearate is an anti-nutrient that is said to prevent absorption of 60% to 100% of the listed nutrient.
September 12, 2014 12:15PM
I use the Chelated Bluebonnet Magnesium and the NOW brand of Magnesium Citrate. I take one 200 mg capsule of the Bluebonnet Chelated Magnesium and 400 to 600 mg of the NOW magnesium Citrate a day. This is generally my bowel tolerance but it does vary depending on what I eat, How much I exercise etc.

My bottle of Chelated Bluebonnet Magnesium does not say Magnesium Oxide but I have nt bought any in a couple of months.

[www.amazon.com]
September 12, 2014 12:26PM
I usually get 3-4 bottles at once. My supply ran low a while ago and I started looking for it online. It was listed as out of stock on almost every site I checked. When I did finally get some, it has the oxide buffer. So they were letting the old bottles just run out and are now using this new stuff. I haven't started using it yet, but will need to starting tomorrow.
Nancy
Anonymous User
September 14, 2014 04:58AM
I still use Doctor's Best, find it satisfactory in all respects.

PeggyM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login