Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting Blog from Dr. John M

Posted by LarryG 
Interesting Blog from Dr. John M
August 25, 2014 07:33AM
Re: Interesting Blog from Dr. John M
August 25, 2014 01:10PM
Your doctor said that AF is a "disease of the riches" my mother had AF she certainly wasn't wealthy, I know of others that live modestly. I believe that most just plain don't know and are offering all kinds of reasons and remedies, I have ceased listening to most "experts".

Liz
August 25, 2014 02:44PM
Liz,
He said it was a disease "of riches" meaning excesses .. and he may be right (many of us don't need to be wealthy to eat too much bad food). Let's face it, western society is "rich" when compared to many others when talking about foods, medicines, etc, even free time. I never had much extra money, but when I think of my own history....drinking caffiene in the AM, lots of sugar, using ibuprophen when I didn't have to, even exercising too long and hard....who knows.? Most people who live in third world countries don't have the time, energy or money to do what I did. It's just the way many of us have lived our lives, and may play a significant part of total AF stats when added to the numbers of those whose who would have had AF regardless of lifestyle.

I agree with you about experts...they're a dime a dozen nowadays...LOL.

Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 02:54PM by Tom B.
August 25, 2014 04:45PM
I think what he meant was maybe "modern conveniences"

This is a similar thought to my previous thread on "What causes Afib"

Our foods are legally tainted with stuff that poisons us, we have been exposed to chemicals in daily life, and so on. I read an article recently on the fellas picking strawberries in CA having to wear body suits because of pestisides!

There is some reason this is such an epidemic. I know your Mom had it early on Liz, but there just wasnt that many cases back then. This thing is steam rolling now!!

Did you all know Electrophysiology has only been a sub-study of Cardiology since the 70s? Think about it
August 25, 2014 11:20PM
And, tell me, how is making 60 burns in the left atrium, done to isolate areas that may or may not be driving AF, a good therapy?
Go tell that to the Marines........ Natale and his AFIB free patients. Gosh Dr Mandrola knows nothing on how to cure this beast.......

McHale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 11:21PM by McHale.
August 26, 2014 08:50AM
McHale

We all know the "Marines" (and I am one of them) if lucky are relieved with extensive burning......but what is the long term effect? What happens 20 years from now with all that scar tissue building up? Thats the point. I definetly worry about that....Dont you?

Mandrola is a very good doctor. Ive met him. He aires on the side of caution like some others. Thats all
August 27, 2014 04:55PM
tsco,
I actually don't worry about it, maybe the stroke I had had something to do with it?
There's some folks here who waited too long and now have extensive scarring/fibrosis and compromised flow velocity from the LAA so life long blood thinners unless you opt for a closure device.
I spoke to Natale about the burns compromising atrial function and he assured me there is no evidence of this so far.
I also read a few articles from pubmed and other medical publications supporting this view.; long term who knows but the point is preventing afib is more important than loss of some atrial function. AF itself greatly compromises LA function and increases stroke risk too so hence the tradeoff.

Dr Mandrola I'm sure is a great doctor but nowhere near a top ablationsionist. I do like his articles but they can also make people wait too long and gives false hope like the article on FIRM..less is more which I had high hopes would come to the mainstream and is still a pipe dream 4 years later.......

20 years from now something else will get you........do you worry about all the other diseases that can afflict us?

Semper Fi

McHale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 05:01PM by McHale.
August 27, 2014 10:51PM
Thanks for the counter viewpoint McHale. That article worried me somewhat, specifically the "how does scarring your heart play out 20 years from now" bit. I'm 36, and it got me thinking, I plan to be around for another 50 years, and I wondered how my heart would hold up over that time period.
August 27, 2014 11:29PM
Don't care for the guy - all over the place
August 28, 2014 11:58AM
McHale,

I understand your point also. Do I worry about other diseases that can afflict us? He#$ yeas I do. I am healthy 50 yrs old. To see me you would guess Im 39-40 (genetics). I enjoy life, sex, my kids, people. I was 25 and blinked my eyes and now Im 50! Blink again I'll be 70. I dont tread on the future but I do try to live healthy now (knida) so I can be healthy later.

as an extreme example only: I would not trade a little better quality now that will only last maybe 10 years to sacrifice extreme fibrosis 20 yrs from now that strokes me out, affects my breathing, handicaps me
that is extreme (I hope) but do we know?

I know its kind of a game we are playing.......just hope we arent Guinea Pigs.....oink
August 28, 2014 06:30PM
Hi Tsco,
Please do not overly worry about 'extreme fibrosis' as a long term consequence of skilled AFIB ablation itself. There have been quite a few very solid studies on this question showing an overall net improvement in atrial function as a result of ablation even at 5 years later, and there in NO good evidence to the contrary longer term, in spite of what some speculative alarmist would have us believe.

Dr John said a couple of irresponsible points, in my view, in what was otherwise a very good article with much we can all agree on in terms of adopting a better diet and nutrient repletion program and well as reduce stress, improve moderate exercise fitness and avoid alcohol at most two drinks or more a day to make a real significant improvement in many folks in terms of reduced AFIB Burden. That is all common sense.

However, when Dr John, with what feels like a newly converted acolyte's zeal about life style and weight lose and BP reduction etc, goes way overboard in stating that this study shows 'AFIB is optional' and can certainly be avoided if one just tries hard enough, that is an overstatement of by any measure, and you will be hard pressed to find anyone, more than many of us here at afibbers.org, that are more dedicated and positive about the benefits for minimizing AFIB in many cases and improving overall health by these same core principle's of life style and dietary improvements that we preach tirelessly here since the start of this forum over 14 years ago.

However, it is just a gross exaggeration and oversimplification that undermines the varacity of the several very good points Dr John otherwise made in his article to state that AFIB is now 'optional' if everyone could only work hard enough at it'. Look at how many very fit and health conscious afibbers have none-the-less had to get an expert ablation like myself and so many others here as well, to ultimately stem the tide of arrhythmia which, if left poorly addressed, is THE biggest source by far of widespread indiscriminate fibrosis and scarring and often in areas that really do impact contractile functioning long term.

I totally agree with Dr J that teaching patients to take care of themselves and helping them find the tools to learn how ought to the the foundation of every initial exam where its clear the person needs those changes to their lives, and in most all areas of medicine dealing with chronic diseases of aging, but to make like its an almost defacto cure all or only cause of AFIB thus making it 'optional', only waters down the credibility of his appeal in my view.

Even in the small Australian study, in another case of exaggerated hyperbole, he calls this study "the most significant breakthrough information in decades in cardiology and indeed medicine, when it's hardly new or novel at all. Looking at the study, it noted that 14 of 75 participants in the control group had to get ablations while 10 out of 75 people in the weight loss and myriad life style modifications had to have ablations in spite of all the relative, and in some cases temporary improvements they got from all of their heroic efforts. That is still a good improvement in any event and about what one would expect, but that is a far cry short of making 'AFIB optional'.

And it is this loose use of language at times that make some of Dr Johns articles occasionally seem mixed reading to me, I so often want to slap a big 'high five' to his palm when reading some of his good points, and yet then he often throws a big dose of ice water on that whole feeling with statements like that, which only confuse and, in some cases, add totally unnecessary fear and vacillation into patients who may not know better.

That is what he did as well by his dropping in the off the cuff speculation about 'what is going to happen in 20 years with all the AFIB scars' comment without also counterbalancing that speculation with the honest truth that so far, with some 16 years now of AFIB ablation history on the books, we have yet to see these dire consequences in left atrial function appear in the vast majority of ablation patients. That is the truth.

There have also been a number of very well designed and investigated studies showing a longer term improvement in left atrial function as compared to pre ablation functioning which, itself, causes more wide spread and less targeted scarring and fibrosis as well as electrical remodeling degradation due to ongoing AFIB ITSELF.

Some factions of well meaning cardios, and a smaller number of EPs that were too reticent for their patients good in my view, have been making this claim from the very beginning of AFIB ablation history, and which now borders on fear mongering based on what we have seen over the last decade and a half. Early on, these factions of cardiologist said, 'the jury is out on ablations and lets see how peoples hearts fare in 5 years time etc etc'. Well, its now 16 years with a large body of evidence and the overall results land strongly on the side of a net overall benefit for the patient in terms of atrial function and improved quality of life.

Even so, now the nay sayers, including some part time ablationists that should know better, or should at least be more careful in how they word things, like Dr John in this case throwing more fuel on that fire just to try to make the good point that its always a good idea to do everything you can to reduce your AFIB burden as much as is possible with good life style, dietary and exercise choices which I gladly salute him for reinforcing.

Perhaps Dr John is mostly only speaking to the other EPs and Cardios as his expected audience who he may rightly feel, in many cases, might still need to get the basic message that so many of us patients instinctively know already for a very long time .. that you very much can make a real impact on reducing overall incidence of AFIB and in many cases reduce AF burden considerably in a good number of those who already have AFIB.

However, in my view, such comments like the 'AF is now optional' breakthrough only undermine their own credibility to a degree with careless statements like that, or "what are these AFIB scars going to do to us in 20 to 30 years" without even beginning to place all that in a deeper and more accurate context of reality and what we now do know about AFIB ablation in the here and now of 2014.

If you are having serious and significant enough longer duration episodes and to be qualified for an ablation, your odds of avoiding some, so far, totally speculative very long term undefined risk from these scars changing their character in the late elderly heart, you are much better off stopping the long term scarring from the AFIB first and foremost rather than worry yourself into even more stress endives episodes about a very unlikely consequence that has no currently defendable mechanism for appearing in 30 years based on what we know now. And remember, a large majority of AFIB ablation patients have been over 50 when they got their ablations during this 16 year period of AF ablations and a large number in their 70s and even late 80s in age. And yet, we still don't see hordes of cardiomyopathy directly from ablation scars showing up anywhere yet.

Ironically, those that listen to this reticent philosophy are the very ones that are most apt to wind up having and needing 4 to 6 or more ablations along the way, and likely all of them with a piece meal method with only doing a few burns and get out and hope for the best approach if they don't find a better option. It is those with many more procedures on the books that stand much greater odds of added fibrosis and scarring in any event. Certainly beyond those who go to a more knowledgable and skilled EP who can typically get even the most challenging jobs done and over with for the long term with one, two or at most three procedures.

I just hope Tsco you do not worry too much about all this and 'what if' kind of speculations about the distant future. We might all have an asteroid fall on our heads in 30 years too or Yellowstone volcano might blow as well. The point being that if you suffer from on-going arrhythmia, you are not avoiding a bigger fibrosis and scar issue way down the road by avoiding an ablation on that basis. Just the opposite in fact., your odds of insuring a far great likelihood of extensive fibrosis and scarring spread potentially all over the left and right atriums only increases the longer your life with unresolved or poorly resolved AFIb/Flutter goes on.

As the old Indian Hindu saying goes: 'it often takes a small targeted thorn to remove a much larger problematic and potentially dangerous thorn'. And yet in the case of an expert ablation process needed to quieten AFIB long term, those intentional carefully targeted scars are almost all done in areas of the LA that have very little direct impact on atrial contractility and thus atrial function.

There have been some overzealous EPs carpet bombing the whole LA in wide swaths that rarely but occasionally have impared LA function to a degree that show up right away, but that is not at all the result of highly skilled appropriately extensive ablation technique by top EPs who know what they are doing.

Not to mention, the extreme stress on one's life experience over the next 30 years by enduring such episodes of unresolved AFIB solely to avoid the remote possibility of some unknown mechanism leading to unexpected consequences from ablation related scars. Most AFIB ablation lesions take place in tissue that is morphologically and embryologically identical to the Pulmonary vein muscle sleeve and has very little to no role in atrial contraction to begin with, further undermining the speculative guesses about what 'might' in a long shot happen some several decades from now when a good many of us will likely be pushing up daisies in any event.

Im really hoping you are done already now as it is Tsco. And Im sorry too you have had to endure a number of right atrial flutter and tachycardia ablations before your first, and so far only, AFIB ablation this past February. Your case has been a challenging one for sure and your initial more targeted right atrial flutter/tachycardia ablations happened at a time long enough ago when they were all just starting to gather all the data to learn what they have learned now in the last couple years, that its best to start and end with a PVAI, rather than go first through the the right atrial targeted ablations first in such cases as yours. And then any touch ups in the left atrium that might be needed to button down the whole process can finish things off for good.

In closing, I really do enjoy reading Dr John as a doc and overall journalist, he is a very good communicator and as you said Tsco a very nice guy no doubt. But its these occasional literary reaches he offers often in the midst of very solid points otherwise, that make me wince at times. Even though I often agree with his overall premise. Im sure I would enjoy speaking to him over some spritzer (non alcohol smiling smiley and I can imagine he could well be a good bedside manner doc too.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2014 12:23PM by Shannon.
August 31, 2014 11:19PM
I've read his blog, and as a former athlete, I wish I could see the guy. I appreciate his approach to things. I don't have access to the top-flight docs that most of the people on this board have, and good luck finding a decent cardiologist with the medical coverage I got stuck with under the ACA. I may be a lone voice in the wilderness, but I appreciate his approch. I'm certainly in no hurry to have someone burn, freeze, or otherwise generate scar tissue on my heart.
September 01, 2014 10:25AM
I am quite comfortable with lesions in the heart that stop AF but only after getting truly sick to death of 3 episodes a week.
In the end the only thing that would terminate an AF episode was Flecainide as I mentioned elsewhere and if that stopped working I'd be further down the road and maybe with some impediment to a 'standard' PVI which is what I ended up getting.
I am not a particularly decisive person by any means but after talking to the EP at Mass General I pretty much decided on going for ablation and I had receding doubts as the time approached (helped by this forum and other sources).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login