Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Use of magnesium and potassium

Posted by LeeLocy 
Use of magnesium and potassium
August 23, 2014 03:51PM
I have been out of contact since i began searching out the Exact test information and found that Kaiser won't prescribe it, nor would my retired doc friend who didn't get his license renewed. What I have done is begin a regimen of magnesium and potassium. It's not specific to me, but it's working. A friend's doctor put her on it, and she rarely has an A Fib episode. I'm 5 days in w/o an episode. I had reached a point where I was having 1 episode every 3 days. I'm using potassium/magnesium aspartate (1 capsule) in the morning and magnesium glycinate in the evening (1 capsule). I also sip 1 tsp. powdered ionic magnesium citrate in water all day long. I'm more relaxed and sleep better and longer and have fewer muscle aches and pains and have not had diarrhea. I also have Nano-Ionic Magnesium in a spritzer bottle to put under my tongue when I get to where I'm feeling like it's episode potential time. Just putting this out there for feedback. I'm so grateful for this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2014 03:58PM by LeeLocy.
Anonymous User
Re: Use of magnesium and potassium
August 24, 2014 12:58AM
Hi LeeLocy,
I don't know how much you intake calcium via food and supplements, but be careful with calcium.

For me, calcium has not been good to me in terms of reducing episodes. As a matter of fact, it does the opposite.

I'm glad things you're trying out are working out for you.

Thank you for sharing.

Duke
August 24, 2014 10:35AM
LeeLocy - If it works for you, that's great, but keep in mind that calcium is excitatory to heart cells. Also, if your intracellular levels of magnesium are low, then adding more calcium will mean that calcium dominates magnesium inside the cell. Your steady intake of magnesium may be offsetting the calcium just enough, but just be aware in case something reverses and you start to have afib again. ... it might be the calcium.

We are all different in how we absorb and assimilate nutrients but the general rule is that afibbers don't need additional calcium; in fact, it's often quite the opposite-- they are high in calcium and low in magnesium.

It's also known that the aspartate form form of various supplements are often found to be excitatory.

I wish you well and continued success.

Jackie
August 24, 2014 10:43AM
Jackie & Duke,

I'm guessing Lee meant magnesium when calcium was typed.

Lee,

Great news. Magnesium, potassium and taurine have been very helpful for me for 10 years.

George
August 25, 2014 12:27PM
It is probably just me.... but I find that it is the Potassium that has the greatest effect on me. Keep the Potassium up and all is calm. Permit it to drop and be prepared for excitement (pun intented).

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
August 25, 2014 03:59PM
I meant magnesium. Sorry. You are right about calcium.
August 25, 2014 04:01PM
You're right. Calcium was a typing error.
August 25, 2014 04:02PM
Thanks again Jackie. Calcium was a typing error. I'm only taking potassium and magnesium. How you are doing well.
August 25, 2014 07:50PM
Thanks for the clarification LeeLocy, it certainly makes far more sense that your benefit has come with combined magnesium and potassium rather than through extra calcium onto the fire. :-).

And thanks for the report!

Best wishes,
Shannon
August 25, 2014 10:23PM
Thank you Jackie for the heads up on the aspartate form of both magnesium and potassium.
August 26, 2014 07:54PM
I had some skipped beats this morning for some reason. Took Potassium Gluconate - 2 teaspoons for just over 1,000 mg
which did the trick.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login