Advanced

pradaxa article in this morning's NYTimes

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
pradaxa article in this morning's NYTimes
August 19, 2014 06:15AM
Re: pradaxa article in this morning's NYTimes
August 19, 2014 07:22AM
Thanks Peggy, I was just reading this in today's NY Times Science section. The question they pose is:-

But hundreds of thousands of consumers with atrial fibrillation continue to take it, and for them, a new quandary has emerged: Should they switch to another blood-thinner?
August 19, 2014 09:47AM
I literally don't know of any EPs that still prescribe Pradaxa with its poor safety profile and significant GI and difficulty stopping severe bleeding, with the somewhat safer and effective Factor Xa inhibitors Eliquis, Xeralto and soon Lixiana (Edoxaban) out there, or soon to be.

Warfarin with a good home meter doing weekly INR tests I would take fur sure over Pradaxa. Thanks for the link Peggy.

Shannon
August 19, 2014 01:31PM
Shannon Wrote:

> Warfarin with a good home meter doing weekly INR
> tests I would take fur sure over Pradaxa.

Anyone run into MDs not wanting to approve home testing?

Can they bill Medicare for their time in monitoring a patient's weekly home-based results?

Thanks!

/L
August 19, 2014 03:50PM
Yes then can bill medicare for the phone call it takes to monitor the INR and its usually the doc nurse who does those calls and keeps track of a patients self test INRs.

And Medicare will pay for the home monitor for patients though you will have to pay some portion of the amount for the testing strips. Its very much worth it to get the most from Warfarin.

Shannon
August 19, 2014 10:43PM
I was on Pradaxa for about a week after my first ablation and had lots of GI issues, so changed to Xeralto. If I was ever faced with having to take an anticoagulant long term I would choose Warafin.
Ron
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login