Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taking Your Advice on Ablation

Posted by DavidPrice 
Taking Your Advice on Ablation
August 10, 2014 06:15PM
Well, after some more research and several communications with Shannon, I've decided to shift my choice of ablationist: from the Heart Hospital in London, to Sabine Ernst at the Royal Brompton. It was clear from the internet info on Dr Ernst (and the Al Jazeera report) that she's possibly the best qualified and equipped ablationist in the UK.
I will see her in 10 days time, and she promises to have me ablated within 14 weeks.

Until then, I will do everything I can to stay in NSR, as my anxiety about clot-formation has increased a bit after my TIA. That said, I'm at least protected by Xarelto should an episode happen. But I've looked at my triggers and resolved to only have a light carb-less evening meal nightly, and avoid alcohol completely.

If anyone has any advice, has been ablated by Dr Ernst, or has questions I should ask Dr Ernst, I'd be grateful for your input.

And I'm also relieved that I took your collective wisdom and booked in with Dr Ernst!

Many thanks and wish me luck.
Re: Taking Your Advice on Ablation
August 10, 2014 08:57PM
David,

Sounds like a great choice.

Good luck!

Please report back on your interactions with Dr. Ernst. I'm sure many others in the UK will be interested.

George
August 11, 2014 10:18AM
Good stuff David,

You've done your job now, so can take it easy and enjoy the ride toward NSR.

Best wishes,
Shannon
Sam
August 12, 2014 09:57AM
David, Are you being treated on the NHS or privately?

I tried to find out the cost of Private ablation by Dr Ernst but my query to the Royal Brompton (using their website) brought the name of another Doctor and a request for my medical history but no details of the cost.
Thanks
Sam
August 13, 2014 08:23AM
Sam,
I'm being done on the NHS - no cost to myself. As I understand it, under the choose and book system, you have the right to choose where you'll be treated, and they have to book you in within 18 weeks. But to get to be treated by a specific surgeon, you need a GP referral. I simply asked my GP to fax a referral direct to Dr Ernst's secretary, and then they rang me the following day. They seemed to indicate a max of 14 weeks, but likely to be done quicker than that, and yes, it would be carried out by Dr Ernst.
I'm seeing her next week, so should know more then.
Sam
August 14, 2014 10:56AM
Thanks David,

Sadly the right of referral doesn't apply in my part of the UK.

I was told if I wanted to go down the ablation road (I've got things pretty much under control at the moment) I could wait till someone here starts doing ablations and then I could be referred to them. Doesn't appeal!
August 15, 2014 11:29AM
Sam,
I'm pretty sure the right of referral is universal and you can be referred to any hospital in the UK. I live in Leeds and asked to be treated at the Royal Brompton in London - no-one has challenged that request.

You have to meet the criteria, however, and the key criterion is having failed two types of medication (in my case neither Flec or Beta-blockers prevent PAF. I would seek a second opinion if I were you - assuming you actually WANT an ablation, that is!

I'm seeing Dr ernst next Tuesday, so I'll update then.
Sam
August 16, 2014 02:45AM
People in Northern Ireland wish you were right , David, but sadly not. If someone here is able to do the procedure (and levels of skill are not taken into account) then referral will not happen

Sam
August 17, 2014 02:12PM
David - you will be in in excellent hands based on my experience of ablation with Dr Ernst on 19 March. So far so good (I had vagal PAF and similar Flex + BB background).

I asked a bunch of the usual questions on process etc and a key one of will she be performing the ablation as number of people mentioned that if on NHS as mine was you may get a member of the team and probably not the consultant of choice. She confirmed she would be performing and indeed she did.

One thing I didn't ask was whether she used the ISO test to ensure AF could not be invoked but I suspect from talking with her that she is at the forefront of current AF thinking and also she is very active in research (I think one reason she does NHS is that she gets study support from the Rcool smiley.

Other than that the hospital and staff were excellent (I'm not a great liker of hospitals at the best of times) - could'nt be faulted for care and attention.

As I am now nearly 6 months I need to have a 7 week holter monitor (which actually wasn't mentioned at my appointments) to ensure no hidden AF then I can come off Xarelto which is the only drug I am on. Being in Manchester is bit of faff as need to get an appointment with local hospital to do holter rather than travel down to London and back. I would suggest you mention that and get it planned in given NHS lead times. 7 day holter sounds pain but if its price to be drug free look forward to completing it.

All the best.

Phil.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login