Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Increasing Mg dose

Posted by JohnBM 
Increasing Mg dose
August 04, 2014 05:42PM
Hi Folks,

Due to help and advice found here, my ectopics have presently reduced to nil. Many thanks.
I am now taking 2 Docs Best Mg tablets (each 200 mg.) 3 times a day equal to 1200 mg/day, with no sign of bowel looseness. I have always had sluggish digestion.
I also take Epsom salts bath after brisk exercise, and Mg oil spray for restless legs and sore muscles.
Should i continue to push the dosage up?
When i get back pain from work i spray with Mg oil and massage using a tennisball against the wall. Works a treat, thanks George
Re: Increasing Mg dose
August 04, 2014 06:13PM
John,

I stayed at 1200 mg/day for years, which worked well to control my afib. I didn't push it hard up to my now very large dosages (4-5g/day) till my afib was harder to control. So whatever works!

Glad the trigger point therapy is useful and helping!

Regards,

George
August 04, 2014 06:52PM
Hi John, Just a heads up for you. You might want to double check the strength of each Doctors Best tablet. When I was taking Doctors Best each tablet was 100mg. The recommended doseage was 200MG which would have been two tablets. I switched over to Bluebonnet because each capsul is 200 mg. Dennis
August 04, 2014 07:09PM
John - You should push to bowel tolerance and then back down to one dose less. It pays to challenge that dosage periodically because your needs and magnesium depletors can change continually. I found that I thought I was optimized at 800 mg a day and now I need at least 1200. Don't wait until you have an AF event to become motivated to increase the dosing. The topicals or transdermals are good aids as well. I prefer the Bluebonnet to Doctor's Best... mainly because of the US manufacturing and quality assurance they offer.

Jackie
August 04, 2014 07:57PM
Yes, thanks everyone. I had indeed misread the label. I shall up the dose and see how it goes.
Regards,
John
August 05, 2014 09:17AM
For anyone with Sleep Apnoea using a CPAP or similar machine, i have been putting 5 or more sprays of Better You magnesium oil into the humidifier water for the last few months. Each spray is rated at 18 mg.
I don't suppose that absorption via the lungs is greater than through the gut, but it would be much quicker. I imagine that it would go into the bloodstream, and also into the lung lining. The absorption site is certainly closer to the pulmonary veins than via the gut, and the Mg would be available for a longer time (with each breath during sleep).
Anyway, it hasn't given me any irritation or noticable discomfort. I might increase the amount i put into the water.
Am i correct in thinking that the oil would fully dissolve in the water, which is heated in the humidifier, rather than lying on top?
August 05, 2014 01:48PM
Dr, Myhill in the UK uses mag in a nebuliser: <[www.drmyhill.co.uk] She also gives it via the rectum: <[www.drmyhill.co.uk]

George
August 05, 2014 02:27PM
Hi John, I would not intentionally breath in any oil unless it was prescribed by a MD and i verified it independently. My concern is that it might cause lipoid pneumonia. FYI
August 05, 2014 02:45PM
@DennisC, thanks.
I understood that mag oil is really a misnomer, in that it is just an aqueous solution of magnesium chloride, and therefore contains no lipids. Is that incorrect?
August 05, 2014 06:06PM
John, you are correct.
August 06, 2014 02:54PM
Hi John, I guess I should have known that if it were a dangerous practicce one of the experts here would have alerted you to the danger. I just didn't want to take a chance that, if it were indeed an oil, it was missed. Forge on! Dennis
August 06, 2014 03:59PM
Dennis, it always pays to raise attention to potential issues. Thanks for doing it!

George
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login