Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stem Cell Pacemaker

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
Stem Cell Pacemaker
July 25, 2014 07:15AM
Hello everyone,
Last week, I heard on radio's NPR station, they were talking about testing on pigs by injecting genetic reprogrammed heart cells into the pacemaker node. Anyway, here's the link for your reading pleasure : [www.healthline.com].

I hope this can lead to something good for us.

Duke
Re: Stem Cell Pacemaker
July 26, 2014 02:05PM
That's all great Duke, thanks for the link I read that as well and much progress is being made with various stem cell therapies. Both those of is out there who are good candidates for an expert ablation process and especially those who are set to get it fine with a top tier EP, please don't make the mistake of projecting such potentially promising news as being a substitute for said ablation process as if it will be ready anywhere near soon enough to prove a reasonable alternative for those of us with active progressing AFIB.

The mind is often the number one enemy of our own best interests and just as often the number one ally of AFIB progression. It's almost as if AFIB has evolved like a virus or aggressive bacteria, and learns how to turn off the hosts' best defenses thus and allow it to make itself at home. It zeros in on our 'what if' procrastination button and knows just how and when to press it to get us to divert our focus from getting this thing really under control for as long as possible.

The mind though also becomes our own best friend once we see through its game clearly and for good.

I love reading about all the cool new development coming on the not too distant horizon. Just remember that we live only in the here and now and AFIB is constantly chipping away the whole time it is more of less having its way and not fully controlled and asleep.

Just keep that in mind and in focus for those at the stage so many here are at with this thing. First things first. When and if these great new potential developments come to be actual fully vetted reality, and should we even still need them by then, we can all take advantage of it then in that future 'here and now' for sure.

There really is real progress being made all around us in our understanding and its exciting to appreciate that.

Be well
Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2014 06:34PM by Shannon.
July 27, 2014 02:11AM
Excellent points, Shannon.

It can take decades for something like this to become available to average humans.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
Anonymous User
July 28, 2014 06:25PM
Hi Shannon & Latrogenia,
Yes, I agree with both of you. This experiment will take a long while before it goes anywhere. I just hope it will lead to something good for mankind.
Thank you both for chiming in.

Duke
August 01, 2014 04:42AM
I agree Shannon that if afib is significantly harming one's quality of life that they shouldn't wait around. But, this type of genetic fix could come alot sooner than expected as gene therapy is apparently in its infancy and advancing quickly. I am pretty certain that I recall Hans musing that a particular gene therapy idea for the heart might not work where there had been an ablation (where cells had been destroyed and therefore couldn't be regenerated). If anyone knows that link I'd love to see it. That is one of the reasons I am holding out - though the main one is that afib is not "significantly harming" my quality of life at this point. Yes, I wish I didn't have to think about it - but as I've said before I feel I've learned alot about myself because of this experience, and it has gotten somewhat better over time. If it gets "significantly" worse in the near future, I'll call Dr. N.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login