Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rythmol experiences

Posted by Lynn 
Rythmol experiences
July 23, 2014 07:11PM
As a stop gap I am thinking about taking rythmol on a daily basis. I've been getting episodes once a week sometimes twice. While I get my nerve up for ablation I am considering using rythmol. Never thought I would entertain the thought of using a drug with a black box warning. I am curious what others have experienced with this drug.
Re: Rythmol experiences
July 23, 2014 09:10PM
Lyn,

I've been on rythmol for over 5 years. My afib episodes started approximately 6 months before I finally gave in and agreed to take a daily medication. I had tried the supplements, eliminated most carbs (I was already watching sodium) and still the episodes were happening more frequently until they were 3 days apart.

Rythmol restored my quality of life and removed the afib dread (for the most part). I've had a few aggravating breakthroughs over the years, and tinkered with reducing my dosage, but all in all, it's been a good medicine for me. When I did get breakthroughs, they weren't nearly as severe as my original afib episodes, which were lasting 10 hours or more with a high heart rate - a torture chamber. I can always tell the second I flip into afib. My last breakthrough came almost two months ago when I had a virus that lasted for several days, and I had afib three times. All has been well since then.

It did make me tired at first, but I haven't had other side effects, I drink a whole glass of water when I take my rythmol.. I am still faithful with the magnesium and potassium supplements, even while on rythmol and I think that has helped keep the afib at bay. That being said, I'm considering an ablation next year because I don't want to take rythmol the rest of my life, and I'd like to be totally free of breakthroughs.

Best wishes whatever you decide.

Doreen
July 24, 2014 02:32PM
I took rythmol several years. Obviously any of the "heavy hitter" drugs are not preferred but sometimes we have no choice.
I did not like the rythmol. I am considerably young and active. The rythmol shortened my breath and I felt pretty bad on it. There were times I didnt think I could make it up my basement steps.

I take Flecainide now (reduced dose since ablation). It gives me similar problems but not as severe. flecainide also causes me to have LBBB at higher heart rates. So the warnings of "These drugs may cause other rythm problems", is true!

I was told once you kinda have to pick the lesser of two evils!

So weigh out the Afib feelings vs the drug feelings, and I guess this varies from person to person

Unfortunately for us this may be the case.
July 26, 2014 07:50AM
What is LBBB? Since you had an ablation will you eventually come off the flec?
July 26, 2014 07:54AM
Doreen,

How is your exercise capacity? Just wondered if you noticed a decrease after starting the medication.
July 26, 2014 12:15PM
LBBB = Left bundle branch block <[en.wikipedia.org] <[www.texasheartinstitute.org]
July 26, 2014 03:28PM
Lynn:

I have taken Rythmol for quite a number of years, but I only take 1 tab. (150Mg.) at night before bedtime. I am vagal and my EP suggested taking only at night, I don't take any during the day. Taking Rythmol this way doesn't affect me, if you are vagal, I don't see why one would have to take it every 8 hrs.

Liz
July 28, 2014 01:41PM
When I was first diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation was prescribed Rhythmol as a "pill in the pocket" with no issues or side affects. But as my arrhythmia progressed I began twice-daily medication with Rhythmol (tried both SR and regular)......believe it was 325 mg. My experience was absolutely horrrendous.....had just about every side-affect listed for the medication!!!! The primary affects were lethargy, weight gain, nausea, verdigo and get this.....arrhythmia. Additionally, it did not control my atrial fibrillation. I took for about four months and then switched to Multaq.

It was during the time that I was on Rhythmol that I found this site and learned more about an ablation......but more importantly Andrea Natale. Prior to this point I had been adamant in that I would not consider "heart surgery". While Multaq did ot have the same issues, it also did ot completely control my arrhythmia. In my initial meeting with Natale he told me that he expected Multaq to eventually lose its efficacy. I did not want to be tetherred to the damn medication so I reluctantly made the decision to have an ablation.

Steve
Spring, Tx.
July 29, 2014 12:00PM
Interesting Steve. I took Rhythmol 3 times a day before my ablation. It didn't stop my episodes either, but I also had weight gain. I told my EP about it, but he dismissed it. It looks like there are at least 2 of us with that side effect.

Jim
July 29, 2014 09:04PM
Lynn,

Regarding my exercise capacity, it's not as great as it used to be - that's another reason I'm considering an ablation. I used to run several miles a week, but I don't run anymore. But it wasn't only the afib that caused me to stop running - I could feel the pounding in my knees. I can still bike, hike, etc with no issues. If I ascend several flights of stairs, it's not as easy as before the rythmol, but I'm also on Lopressor, which probably causes the same effect.

Doreen
July 30, 2014 10:30AM
All of those Classes of rhythm drugs basically disturb or slow conduction between the top part of your heart and the bottom. LBBB or left bundle branch block is when your heart is tryinf to beat and send the signal to your vetricles but it is slowed enough that your heart basically gets out of whack. I can feel a hard flop and then some dis rhythm until it slows back down.
I have had an ablation but I still get etopic beats so I will prob have to stay on flecainide
Tim
July 30, 2014 02:30PM
Tim, thanks for your reply. Just curious who did your ablation.
August 22, 2014 12:31PM
I take Rhythmol (propafenone) 150 mg. three times a day (every eight hours) and have pretty good control of LAF episodes since I started this strict regimen. I also added magnesium to my daily vitamin supplement. I'm on Eliquis with no side effects and have not had an episode of LAF in seven months! I'm a fan of Rhythmol!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login