Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can't get colonoscopy due to Xarelto....

Posted by tobherd 
Can't get colonoscopy due to Xarelto....
July 11, 2014 01:59PM
HI everyone - I had my ablation exactly 3 weeks from today, and seem to be doing well in that regard. The heart has been quiet and the last time my pulse was checked at the Dr., it was around 68. After my first ablation last Fall, I think it was running in the 80's most of the time.

I have however, been plagued with on and off nausea and some stomach issues since a few days prior to my ablation. I had an abdominal sonogram and all was normal there. My GP sent me to a Gastro. Dr. to get a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which was scheduled for July 29th. However, they wanted me off of Xarelto for 5 days prior to the procedures, and Dr. Natale's office wont' give them a "cardiac clearance" until it's been at least 3 months post procedure (Sept.), unless it's an emergency. This is a little scary to me, as I'm wondering what if there's something serious going on there and now I have to wait for testing for 2 more months.... not good timing for this to happen.

Has anyone had a situation at all like this? I'm mad that I have to be on these darn blood thinners, and now this is an even bigger reason to try to avoid them!

Barb
Re: Can't get colonoscopy due to Xarelto....
July 11, 2014 02:22PM
Hi Barb,

I'm in the same boat. I need a colonoscopy but my PCP told me we'll have to wait until the blanking period has run its course. Then we'll go from there. I was actually scheduled for a colonoscopy before the ablation but Dr Natale was able to get me in so quickly I had to cancel. I was having lots of stomach pain and recurring side aches. However, since the ablation it has almost resolved. Very occational minor side pain now. I'm wondering if it was being caused by my very erratic heart rhythm during that per ablation period?

I also need my teeth cleaned. My dentist won't touch me without clearence from Dr Natale. I figured I would wait the three months and see where we're at. Hopefully I can come off Xeralto and this will no longer be an issue. They did take me off Metoprolol last week. We're actually experimenting to see if my heart rate is managable and if it continues to slow. Its dropped about 8 to 10 bpm in the last 8 weeks. We eventually hope it drops another 10 to 15 bpm.

Best to you Barb!

Craig
July 11, 2014 03:05PM
HI Craig - I'm surprised to hear that your dentist won't touch you on Xarelto. I had root planing twice while on it and they just wanted to be aware of it... I bled more but that was it..not a big problem. It looks like I might be on a blood thinner for life, so this is going to have to be figured out somehow.

I am hoping they can find another way to check things out in the meantime...

Glad to hear your stomach is calming down. Good luck with all of thatsmiling smiley ~ Barb
July 11, 2014 05:56PM
One option you might explore is having a virtual colonoscopy.

Allan
July 11, 2014 09:09PM
Yes Barb...I was also surprised. Especially just for a cleaning. He had never heard of Xeralto. However, a friend of mine with afib takes Pradaxa. The same dentist requires him to be off Pradaxa for five days before he will treat him. I'm not willing to do that right now.

I don't know much ...... anything........about the virtual colonoscopy. I've heard of it but thats about it. Thanks for the thought Allan!

Craig
July 12, 2014 03:05AM
Hi Barb,
My suggestion on this issue is to just relax and try not be too concerned over just what amounts to 8 weeks maximum more wait before the colonoscopy. Unless your periodic nausea symptoms that started prior to the ablation have gotten a lot worse since we last talked, the odds are high this is more likely from some intestinal bug or virus rather than your worse fear.

You'll be able to do the colonoscopy in eight weeks, if not a little sooner with a little prodding if you are really still keen to get it done as early as possible, You started getting these bouts of nausea before the ablation and you had discussed the issue with the colonoscopy with the folks at St David's when it was settled that you should wait three months just until the blanking period is over and everyone is confident you are not having any silent or noticeable runs of AFIB. After that you will get a protocol to allow you to stop Xerelto shortly for a very brief time, get the scan and then go right back on the med with very little risk.

And no worries either going forward if you should have to stay on the blood thinner for some time, that is should you even have to remain on blood thinner long term, which has not yet been determined for sure, as you will be able to use the exact same brief stopping then restarting protocol you will soon be given, at will and whenever you really need such a scan or a minor or major procedure of any kind involving possible blood loss.

So Barb take heart in knowing that there really isn't a lot of new basis for fretting or excess worry at the moment. Of course, its important to get the colon scan and you will quite soon

But you pioritized your medical procedures just right and got your self out of flutter and just had to postpone the colonoscopy three months max as a result. Again I'm sure Dr Natale's office will approve an earlier colonoscopy at around 10 weeks post ablation if you remain nice and quiet as seems likely at this point.

The last we spoke the nausea was still rather mild to moderate and not all the time, and you did not report any actual vomitting, right?

I'd be very surprised then if that is still the case if the colonoscopy uncovers anything close to dire news as it is, based on what you have described. But of course we won't know for sure until afterward. However in the meantime, and having known for some time you would need to wait a few months before doing the scan, getting overly frustrated and worried about 'what if' you've got cancer, is much more of an optional viewpoint at this stage of the proceedings.

And look at this great NSR you have going now! Time to celebrate that and smell the roses a bit these next weeks before the colonoscopy. Anyway that's my two cents on things at the moment. I'm very happy for you Barb and hope this periodic mild nausea and perhaps stomach virus that might be behind it and that you may possibly have picked up before traveling to Texas will disappear for good.

Take care Barb and continued enjoyment of your NSR!

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2014 08:58AM by Shannon.
July 12, 2014 08:14PM
Hi guys
1 year prior to a fib starting and once during the 10 months i had a fib, i had 2 bad bouts of diverticultis. After my second bout of diverticulitis and before ablation my cardiologist put me on colchcine.
He had seen this anti-inflammatory med often used for gout, take inflammation out of the heart area (even if echo looks good) and stop some of his patients from having a fib. I gave it a whirl in January and while it didn't stop a fib it did stop my persistent but dull pain upper left colon where twice i had the diverticulitis.

Anyway once i had my ablation Kay and Curry thought it was a good idea to up it to 2x per day for the first month and then taper back to 1x per month for 2nd and 3rd month.
Many studies show efficacy post ablation for lack of arrhythmias and tachycardias post ablation in patients on
My side has bothered me not at all since ablation. Truth be told i also in january went on a gluten free/dairy free diet with very little cheating.
Hope this helps
Susan
July 12, 2014 09:22PM
Thanks again for your encouragement, Shannon. I am making a point of staying off the internet as it's too easy to get myself worried with all the possible things that could be wrong - geez! And yes, if they still feel I need more testing, it wouldn't be that much longer that I should be able to.
I haven't heard of a virtual colonoscopy either.....?

The thing I am most excited about is the possibility that I might...might..be able to get off the blood thinners at some point not too far down the road. That would be great if I could! It's the only medication I'm on right now.

Have a good night everyonesmiling smiley Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login