Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

St. Davids called; No more Xarelto!hot smiley

Posted by smackman 
St. Davids called; No more Xarelto!hot smiley
June 12, 2014 06:34PM
My Nurse educator just called me from St. Davids Arrhythmia center in Austin,Texas; I CAN STOP THE XARELTO!!!!!

It has been 3 1/2 months approx. since my Ablation with Dr. Natale. I cannot begin to think all the individuals on this forum who guided my and my beautiful wife to have my Ablation done by Dr. Natale due to my Persistent AFIB status. A BIG thanks to Shannon.

I was told to take a 325 mg aspirin a day. I do have a stent close to my heart. Any thoughts on taking this aspirin once a day? I know some believe that a Aspirin is not good... Just would like to hear some thoughts on this.

I am doing really well. This is a great Fathers day gift. Hopefully, I will be in NSR for many years to come. drinking smiley

5 mg Valium a day as needed.
20 mg Prozac daily
15 mg Prevacid a day
60 cc shot of Testosterone Cypionate every 10 days. Testosterone is low due to schedule two narcotics.
.5 mg Arimidex 2x a week to keep Estrogen levels in check. T shots can cause rise in Estrogen.

100 mg Metoprolol ER 1x a day
25 mg HydroDiuril fluid pill 1x a day every 2 days.
Neurontin 900mg a day (for Neuropathic pain IC/CPPS)
800 mg of Magnesium daily . Different types
81 mg aspirin 1X a day. Heart Doctor order due to stent installed in Jan. 2012.
2.5 mg Eliquis 2X a day

Miralax 1x a day for constipation issues. I have tried so many different methods for Constipation since 2008. Fiber is in my diet but to much Fiber really Constipates me.

25 mg/hcr Fentanyl.patch changed every 2 days

1st ablation done Feb. 27, 2014 for Long term persistent AFIB Dr. Natale
2nd Ablation done June 16,2016 Dr. Natale LAA isolated
Re: St. Davids called; No more Xarelto!
June 12, 2014 08:36PM
Pretty great stuff. From persistent AF to NSR and now just aspirin. That's great news.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2014 09:02PM by Shannon.
June 12, 2014 09:05PM
Good to hear Smackman,

Its not surprising as you know, but very nice news to hear! It's hard to beat having one of the best in the world handling your business.

Best wishes for many years of clear sailing.

Shannon
June 12, 2014 10:40PM
Smackman,

I couldn't be happier for you. Getting off afib related drugs is wonderful news. I'm not sure if a nurse educator is similar to a nurse practitioner, but the afib clinic I belonged to in Vancouver had a wonderful nurse practitioner who called the shots as to my meds. When I was able to get off warfarin post ablation she put me back on coated 81 mg aspirin, which in her words was just as beneficial as the 325mg aspirin.

Have a great father's day,

Lou
June 12, 2014 10:44PM
Great news smackman! Those folks at St David are great! Congratulations on a sound decision and having the courage to make it happen!
June 13, 2014 08:34PM
Good for you Smackman. Your ablation must have been the most straightforward variety to get off the Xarelto so quickly. I had a PVAI w/ some work around the CS and base of the LAA by Dr. Natale in January but am being kept on Xarelto for a full six months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:43AM by Shannon.
June 13, 2014 08:51PM
Shannon, I'm puzzled why Smackman was able to get off Xarelto in little more than half the time I'm supposed to be on it. Smackman had persistent AF and I recall you noted Dr Natale stopped just short of full LAA isolation. Smackman and I are about the same age, my AF was paroxysmal not persistent. What other variables might be factored into the clinical decision making I wonder?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:43AM by Shannon.
June 14, 2014 05:38AM
Congrats Smack. Nice to wind down off the meds.

Randy, I had my ablation in Bordeaux. They have several different protocol than the US ablation community, but are considered one of the top facilities in the world. They took me off Xeralto after about 6 weeks post ablation.

I huge difference for me going forward from my ablation is that as a result of having a NutrEval, Exatest, thyroid, hormone, iodine and Comprehensive Cardiovascular tests, plus all the regular labs my MD determined that my system is not fully absorbing all the necessary nutrients and that I need a lot of support via supplements, diet and exercise.

It seems that most affibers who are in the hands of a functional medical doctor are supported with a lot more than just magnesium supplements. Just wondering if you have guessed at only needing magnesium or if you have been tested?

Ron

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:44AM by Shannon.
June 14, 2014 02:31PM
Randy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Shannon, I'm puzzled why Smackman was able to get
> off Xarelto in little more than half the time I'm
> supposed to be on it. Smackman had persistent AF
> and I recall you noted Dr Natale stopped just
> short of full LAA isolation. Smackman and I are
> about the same age, my AF was paroxysmal not
> persistent. What other variables might be
> factored into the clinical decision making I
> wonder?

I was told 4-5 months was the "protocol" for staying on Xarelto after my Ablation. I have had ZERO issues since my Ablation on Feb. 27. My Linqs report has been stellar. I have this device in my chest that monitors my heart activity; My Ablation has been smooth sailing.

Maybe because I have done so well he let me off of Xarelto early.

June 14, 2014 03:15PM
Smackman, thanks. The protocol issue is a little confusing to me. You were told 4-5 months...I was told either 3 months or 6 months. I've also had zero issues since my January 24 ablation. Does the Linqs report come from the device in your chest? My nurse educator keeps saying I'm doing excellent but somehow I ended up on a 6 month protocol. Don't want to be on Xarelto any longer than absolutely necessary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 12:45AM by Shannon.
June 14, 2014 05:01PM
Randy Wrote:
> Smackman, thanks. The protocol issue is a little
> confusing to me. You were told 4-5 months...I
> was told either 3 months or 6 months. I've also
> had zero issues since my January 24 ablation.
> Does the Linqs report come from the device in your
> chest? My nurse educator keeps saying I'm doing
> excellent but somehow I ended up on a 6 month
> protocol. Don't want to be on Xarelto any longer
> than absolutely necessary.

Yes the linqs information is from the device in my chest. I called my nurse educator and ask if I could get off the Xarelto because I am doing so well. She checked with Dr. Natale and called me back a week later and gave mr the good news. I do take a 325 mg aspirin that Dr. Natale requested I do after stopping the Xarelto.

Good Luck and happy NSR.

June 14, 2014 11:06PM
I just stopped my Xeralto about a week ago, just felt the last month my heart has really settled into a nice rhythm with no pacs /pvs. Dr Natale told me that I can come off after about a year after my ablation if I carefully monitor myself which I have been doing. It wasn't a conscious decision , just skipped a few doses at first then decided to stop altogether. I can always use it as a PIP if I feel like there's something going on that I don't like. For the record I had a TIA labor day weekend 2012.

McHale

June 15, 2014 12:52AM
Randy Wrote:
> Shannon, I'm puzzled why Smackman was able to get
> off Xarelto in little more than half the time I'm
> supposed to be on it. Smackman had persistent AF
> and I recall you noted Dr Natale stopped just
> short of full LAA isolation. Smackman and I are
> about the same age, my AF was paroxysmal not
> persistent. What other variables might be
> factored into the clinical decision making I
> wonder?

Randy,
Smackman had persistent AFIB but Dr Natale did not ablate his LAA area as he did not have hardly any triggering from there. A little but not enough and it did not increase under isoproterenol challenge so he doesnt have a possible delay issue with his LAA that they might want to check at 6 months.

You didn't have an LAA isolation either as I recall, but Smackman also has a LINQ implantable monitor installed that allows them to confirm remotely that he has had no breakthroughs at all. That is why he is able to stop earlier. That and no doubt he has inquired about stopping early as well.

You will have your six month monitoring equipment sent to you for a one week 24/7 monitoring to insure no breakthroughs at night or silent activity and then they will give you the green light to stop no doubt.

Each case is a little different depending on circumstances and what he had to ablate and how much or how little post ablation activity one has had. But at this point you can certainly ask if its okay to stop though dont be surprised if they want to wait until your official 6 month follow up is complete.

Shannon
June 15, 2014 10:29AM
Happy Father's Day, Smackman (and all the other fathers here!)

As I recall, you were very, very anxious about an ablation, so it is wonderful to hear everything is good! I am just starting, with a consultation with Dr. Natale at Scripps on July 10; so your report is very encouraging!

Louise

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2014 03:42PM by Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login