Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question about manganese , Jackie, Shannon, George

Posted by joey1974 
Question about manganese , Jackie, Shannon, George
May 27, 2014 04:44PM
Hi all I hope everyone is well, I haven't posted in a while. I am down almost
97 Pounds been doing the Wheat Belly diet for 5 Months now, and I feel great .
My Question is about manganese, there are so many knowledgable people here.
Shannon and Jackie or George this might be a good question for. I slipped a disk in
My back and saw a Chiropractor, and he told me to take 6 a day? Helps to heal the soft tissue
I'm between the disk, the recommended dosage is only 15mg a Day? He said or as directed!
My point is what is manganese and does it have any affects on the Heart? Side affects? I am
Feeling great and don't want to screw things up by having side affects, with this supplement. I am very
Careful why I put in my Body! So when he said take 10x the recommended dose red flags went up. I want
My back to feel better but not a price of risking afib or related side affects. Thanks for any info you can give!!

Joe
Re: Question about manganese , Jackie, Shannon, George
May 27, 2014 08:06PM
Google Manganese There is a lot of stuff to go through.
Can't seem to find a whole lot about Mangenese on our forum, at the moment.
We all live and breath Magnesium around here.
Looks like their may be some Mangenese issues with some heart ailments.

Deficiency Symptoms of Manganese

The symptoms of manganese deficiency include high blood pressure, heart ailments, muscular contraction, bone malformation, high cholesterol, poor eyesight, hearing trouble, severe memory loss, shivers and tremors. Even though some medical experts argue that manganese deficiency is quite rare, more than 35 % of the world population is thought to be deficient. Poor dietary habits are the leading cause of such deficiencies.

P.S.
Your Wheat Belly diet caught my attention.
I'm trying to get my neighbor to look into Wheat Belly diet.
Could you bring your Wheat Belly diet experiences over to the General Health Forum ?
Being that you truly have first hand experience with it, would really go a long way.
May 27, 2014 08:08PM
Joey was 97 lbs a misprint? Seems very light even after the Wheat belly regime
May 27, 2014 08:28PM
Afhound I have lost 97 pounds I weigh 224 lol
May 27, 2014 08:30PM
Oh yeah, sorry read that as you weighed 97 lbs! Cutting out grains certainly drops weight fast.
May 27, 2014 08:31PM
Sure Todd what would you want me to post? The outline of diet
Or my experience so far and what I eat etc?
May 27, 2014 08:32PM
Yes carbs and sugar it's amazing I can't believe the results
I it eat about 50 carbs per day and try to make them good carbs
Sam
May 28, 2014 10:23AM
Manganese is needed in very small amounts for good health but the most common upper limit given is 11 mg per day.

It may have some benefit for a prolapsed or herniated disc (did your Chiropractor really call it a slipped disc?) if your diet is deficient in it.

NutritionData.com is a good site for checking how much you're getting in your food.

Sam
May 28, 2014 11:03AM
hey Sam,
he said it was out of aligment but used the word slip? good thing is not herniated. he advised me to take around 200mg of maganese a day for 2 weeks, he said it builds up and heals the soft tissue area in between the disks. I am very catious of what i take for supplements and pills etc.... when I read about the 11mg a day being as much as you need, and his dosage that sounded crazy to me, he sells the supplements and his brand have 35mg per pill i have just been taking one a day

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 11:04AM by joey1974.
Sam
May 28, 2014 11:36AM
Be careful, Joe. 200 mg Manganese a day sounds crazy.
May 28, 2014 12:57PM
Joe,

I don't know anything about manganese. I have some suggestions for back pain. If interested, PM me.

George
Anonymous User
May 28, 2014 04:49PM
Joey - A highly reliable source to check the properties of Manganese would be the Linus Pauling Institute link at Oregon state...[lpi.oregonstate.edu].

You can check the various functions and dosage recommendations...plus the resource references offered. I'm currently away from home but I believe I have a small book devoted just to the importance of manganese...so next week... I'll post more details if they are relevant to your collagen lumbar disc issue.

I certainly hope the manganese therapy helps shore up the supportive tissue. One of the chiropractors I used some years ago said that he had excellent success manipulating the slipped disc (which is tissue known as collagen) back between the vertebral structures and thus, helped patients avoid back surgery which often is not successful.

I'll send you a PM alert if I post more to this thread next week.

Jackie
May 29, 2014 10:43AM
Yea Sam I am not going to do that much i am going to take about 65 and thats it. Thanks for the Info George! and jackie thanks for all your help as well,spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Joe
Sam
May 29, 2014 10:45AM
A disc cannot slip out of position and be repositioned.

Although many medical practitioners still use the term (because patients like it) the correct term is Prolapsed or Herniated Disc.

In this condition the outer fibrous wall of the disc splits and the gel in the centre of the disc protrudes, pressing on nerves and causing pain which can be very intense. This gel cannot be put back into the disc. The disc can heal, especially If the joint is mobilised, and the body will absorb the protruded gel.

A Practitioner who uses mobilising techniques rather than high velocity manipulation is recommended and properly done knee rocking and deep relaxed squat can be used by the sufferer with good success.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2014 06:18PM
Thank you Sam for the technical description. The chiropractor I referenced apparently does just that...when he eases eases the pressure and allows the herniated portion to be absorbed. He's the only practitioner in this area known to do this successfully.

Jackie
Sam
May 30, 2014 10:55AM
Just to be completely clear - the protruded gel is not reabsorbed into the disc. It's absorbed in the sense of being removed after the outer fibrous outer wall of the disc has healed.

Sam
June 01, 2014 02:46PM
Joey - I can't locate the small book on Mn... but I do have Michael Murray's (N.D.) Encyclopedia of Natural Supplements that says the following...

Dosage ranges (p. 217)
Although there is no specific RDA for manganese, most people require between 2 and 5 milligrams/day. For therapeutic purposes, the dosage ranges are:

- Sprains, strains, inflammation... First 2 weeks, 50 milligrams to 200 milligrams daily in divided dosages; thereafter, 15 milligrams to 30 milligrams daily.

- Epilepsy - 15 milligrams to 30 milligrams daily

- Diabetes - 5 milligrams to 15 milligrams daily.

Safety Issues
Dietary manganese and manganese-containing nutritional supplements have an extremely low level of toxicity. However, manganese toxicity as a result of environmental pollution or mining of manganese is a serious health problem. In its most sevre forms, manganese toxicity can result in a syndrome called "manganese madness" which is characterized by several psychiatric symptoms such as hallucinations, violent acts and hyperirritability.

Interactions
Manganese may inhibit the bsorption of iron, copper and zinc. Conversely, high intakes of magnesium, calcium, iron, copper and zinc may inhibit the absorption of manganese. Antacids may also inhibit the absorption of manganese.

Source:
Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements
Michael T. Murray, N.D.
Prima Publishing - 1996

Additionally - refer to the authoritative exhaustive Linus Pauling Institute page [lpi.oregonstate.edu]

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login