Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

7 week update - Dr Ernst ablation

Posted by PhilS 
7 week update - Dr Ernst ablation
May 08, 2014 06:02AM
Hi All

It's now 7 weeks since ablation with Dr Ernst for my paroxysmal VLAF (6.5+ years and 120+ episodes).

So far so good. I left it 7 weeks to report as the longest I've ever been between episodes is 48 days and yesterday was day 49 in NSR (hurrah he says reaching for nearest wood to touch!).

Still on Xarelto for another month but no probs with that either.

General thoughts. Recovery was less painful than I thought it would be but needed 1 week off work as was pretty wiped out after the ablation. Femoral hematomas took about 1 month to go completely but my left leg was still puffy for while after. Straight after the ablation I had a feeling of "solidity" in my heart which is somewhat vague I know but it is a positive physical feeling that it was in strong NSR. I still get the PACs and runs or PACs but whereas these would have triggered AFIB during the night now they seem to just happen and pass without episode. So the triggers are still there but my heart is currently isolated from them in AFIB terms which is great - hopefully not tempting fate here though.

All in all really pleased I made decision to go for an ablation with Dr Ernst.

Happy NSR!!

Phil.
Re: 7 week update - Dr Ernst ablation
May 08, 2014 06:55AM
Great report!
May 08, 2014 09:53AM
Awesome.....peace of mind is the best!
May 08, 2014 12:34PM
NSR is great and so are the PACs not going anywhere. Sounds good.
May 08, 2014 12:35PM
Thanks for the update PhilS that is one more good report regarding Dr Ernst I have heard and recently she has moved to number one with a bullet in my UK ablationist list.

I also had a very enjoyable lunch on Sunday here in Sedona with Dr Peter Weiss who is an experienced and smart EP ablationist from Utah's Intermountain Group and his lovely wife Karen who were visiting Sedona for a short vacation. Dr Weiss does a lot of AFIB ablations as well as VT ablations too and is a lead technological expert among the well known and large Intermountain group ablation center in Utah. Dr Weiss had only good things to say about Dr Ernst as well, as a very bright and knowledgable ablationist, having shared a teaching panel with her at an AFIB conference not too long ago.

Its great to see this next generation of top ablationist roughly in their early to mid 40s or so such as Drs Weiss, Sabine Ernst, DJ Lakkireddy, Vivek Reddy, David Burkhart, Steven Hao, Robert Schweikert, Sergio Pinksi and quite a few more on a growing list of very skilled EPs with an expanding resume of successful ablations are beginning to emerge now to help bolster the ranks of the current elites like Andrea Natale, Frank Marchlinski, David Callans, Pierre Jais and Michel Haissaguerre as just a handful among the front line group of the most experienced ablationists at the top of the field these days.

It bodes very well for having great choices going forward knowing that very bright new leaders are already here to help seamlessly carry the torch for a new generation as the current maestros gradually move toward the end phases of their careers over the next decade or so.

Great to hear your report Phil and keep us posted.

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 12:40PM by Shannon.
May 08, 2014 01:44PM
Phil, good to see you doing well. Best wishes for continued NSR,

Shannon - Intermountain EP group has done a lot of ablations and has done really good research since they pretty much dominate the SLC area market and also because the population is relatively narrow in distribution when it comes to living healthy life style choices. The area is starting to change though as there are now many Starbucks and more alcohol (for the non-orthodox). Weiss has a couple of partners that are as highly regarded as himself, John Day and Jared Bunch.
May 08, 2014 10:20PM
Happy to hear your good report, Phil! Wishing you NSR for evermoresmiling smiley

Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login