Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Natural Calm Magnesium question

Posted by smackman 
Natural Calm Magnesium question
May 02, 2014 10:33AM
I have been taking 1 teaspoon a day of the Natural Calm Magnesium a day in 2 divided doses along with 600 mg of chelated magnesium. I also drink 1 quart of WW water a day. My bowel movements are good but I have not reached my limit; no loose stools but I am regular.

I seem to have some bladder issues with the Natural Calm. I read that Citric acid is in the proprietary blend. Citric acid can be a big trigger for a flare up of Intertestial Cystius which I have. Also, I really feel bloated after drinking the natural calm.

I mix it by the instructions then drink it with 8 ounces of water. How much Citric acid is in Natural Calm magnesium and is there anyway I can "neutralize" some of the citric acid like with 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda?
Re: Natural Calm Magnesium question
May 02, 2014 01:38PM
Do a google search for the amount of elemental magnesium in Natural Calm.

As an aside, several years ago there were reports about impurities in Natural Calm...(check the archived posts). I believe lead was found; and some question the source of the magnesium which is said to be Japanese sea water. Still others have commented they didn't get along with Natural Calm because the citrate is factory-made from corn sources which would produce the free glutamic acid effect which is excitotoxic. The MSG-like excitotoxicity can cause a variety of symptoms alone but there can also be additional sensitivities from corn products.

If citric acid has the potential to flare or aggravate your IC... I'd definitely not rely on Natural Calm as a source of magnesium. There are other forms that may be less of a problem for you. You don't need anything else upsetting your system.

Be well,
Jackie
May 02, 2014 03:35PM
Jackie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do a google search for the amount of elemental
> magnesium in Natural Calm.
>
> As an aside, several years ago there were reports
> about impurities in Natural Calm...(check the
> archived posts). I believe lead was found; and
> some question the source of the magnesium which
> is said to be Japanese sea water. Still others
> have commented they didn't get along with Natural
> Calm because the citrate is factory-made from corn
> sources which would produce the free glutamic acid
> effect which is excitotoxic. The MSG-like
> excitotoxicity can cause a variety of symptoms
> alone but there can also be additional
> sensitivities from corn products.
>
> If citric acid has the potential to flare or
> aggravate your IC... I'd definitely not rely on
> Natural Calm as a source of magnesium. There are
> other forms that may be less of a problem for you.
> You don't need anything else upsetting your
> system.
>
> Be well,
> Jackie

It was recommended; Its my fault for not thourghly checking out the product before I purchased it. Many seem to use it and like it but it loooks like I wasted $24. My fault
May 03, 2014 07:05PM
Jackie,
Do you have any documentation for your dis'n the product that isn't just heresay?
Sam
May 04, 2014 10:34AM
Somebody seems to have had it in for this product in the past and the false statements about it are still circulating on the internet.

For example - the source of citric acid in the product is non-GM sugar beets grown in Belgium.

Sam
May 04, 2014 10:36AM
Tom - As for the impurities (lead contamination)...it was reported by Consumer Labs some years ago. The impurities caveat remains for any supplements made from raw materials procured off-shore and bottled by companies who do not adhere to GMP procedures. There was a lengthy post on the topic and as I recall, at that time, Hans removed his endorsement of Natural Calm.

The sea water source of magnesium is stated on Natural Calm's website... and they say they collected a large amount of water before the nuclear accident. Wonder how they knew that was coming?

The corn-source derivation of many ascorbic or citric acid products is well known and can be verified on the Internet. I had read a report about the corn derivation and people suffering from severe reactions because of corn sensitivities.

I just checked Natural Calm's website and they now indicate rather than corn, the source is sugar beets from a European source which may avoid the problem of the GMO sugar beet issue or corn, for that matter.

Jackie
May 05, 2014 11:10AM
Doing well with Natural calm and Bluebonnet chelated magnesium. I have finally starting to show signs that my Magnesium max. level is being reaches. I had loose stools this morning; Not bad but loose

My dosage is 200 mg od chelated magnesiun 2X a day and 1 rounded teaspoon of Natural calm 2 x a day. That I believe is approx 800 mg of magnesium a day using these supplements.

I do not know if Natural Calm magnesium is a "Bad product" but I do know something can be found wrong with anything.

All I want is a calm heart.cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 02:59PM by smackman.
May 05, 2014 02:11PM
I wouldn't worry about it. You can always change your mix of supps & types going forward.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login