Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cpap and magnesium

Posted by JohnBM 
Cpap and magnesium
April 13, 2014 10:02AM
Hello World!
Firstly, many thanks for this excellent resource and the help it provides.
I am following the acupuncture protocol since my last paroxysmal episode, together with epsomsalts baths and magnesium oil spray onto tight muscles.
Whether it is the above or just remission, i have not been getting the usual sequence of pvc/pacs after exercise while stooping (digging etc).
I use a Cpap during sleep. Would there be any adverse effect from introducing epsom salts into the humidifier water? It occurs to me that the Mg would be delivered to an internal area much closer to the pulmonary vein, from where it seems it might be needed most. What dosage would be suitable?
Regards,
John
Re: Cpap and magnesium
April 13, 2014 01:16PM
Hi John,

Not sure I would use Magnesium in the Cpap water? I would think that might be a little irritating on lung tissue with direct exposure and it copuld potentially scale up your humidifier portion of the machine. You need to confirm all that with a Cpap expert which I am not.

But getting your IC levels up via either topical, IV and/or oral magnesium will service your left atrial tissues and the rest of your heart just fine as it is.

Good luck with your program, am heading to the airport right now for my trip to EU.

Cheers,
Shannon
April 13, 2014 10:32PM
Thanks Shannon, and Bon Voyage.

I'm still interested in using respiration as a pathway for magnesium intake.
How about a drop of magnesium oil instead of epsom salts?
People on cpap do use essential oils, although they place them next to the air intake.
Any other forms of mag that might be more suitable?
Google gives medical use of inhaled magnesium sulfate for asthma treatment so it cant be all bad?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2014 10:33PM by JohnBM.
April 13, 2014 10:52PM
John - The magnesium chloride oil... isn't really an oil.. it just feels oily. Some people call it Magnesium Gel. Check out the website of Dr. Mark Sircus, Ac., OMD, DM (P) - he's one of the well-known experts in the magnesium oil arena. He may have something about nebulizing there. [drsircus.com]

With the essential oils, it's important that they don't actually become physically inhaled as they can do damage to lung tissue... or so I've read. I'm a big fan of essential oils and have used them with remarkable results for many years, but you do have to be cautious.

I'm wracking my brain to remember something I researched about inhaling magnesium via a nebulizer. If I find it, I'll post again. I rememeber checking with a local compounding pharmacy on types of nebulizers and using the magnesium bicarbonate form. I'd like to pursue it myself so I'll put that on my 'to do' list.

Jackie
April 14, 2014 04:38AM
Jackie,

A brit doc's site is here <[www.drmyhill.co.uk] I've posted this link on the board before, but never acted on it myself.

George
April 14, 2014 03:45PM
Hi John,
What is the acupuncture protocol?

Enrique
April 14, 2014 05:07PM
@Enrique:
I took it from this article, pointed out by a Larsen Newsletter:
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
qoute<All patients of this latter group as well as patients with persistent AF randomized to acupuncture underwent 10 acupuncture sessions of 15-20 min duration on a once a week basis in the following spots (Figure ​(Figure2):2): PC-6 (Neiguan in modern Chinese language), which is reported to have a modulating effect on the autonomic nervous system, with a mainly vagomimetic and sympathicolytic action[16-18]; HT-7 (Shenmen in modern Chinese language), which is reported to have a calming and sedative effect on cardiac excitability[19]; BL-15 (Xinshu in modern Chinese language), which is reported to have a modulating effect on the autonomic nervous system[20].>endquote

Thanks GeorgeN, thanks Jackie
April 14, 2014 05:25PM
Are you vagally-mediated or adrenergic affiber?
Enrique
April 14, 2014 07:38PM
Mine is usually vagal (night, sleeping, resting).
When younger i was quite fit from a lot of hard work, my resting heartrate is usually in the 50's
April 14, 2014 11:00PM
Thanks George - I know of her... brilliant woman into environmental medicine. I'll try to learn more.

Jackie
April 15, 2014 01:32PM
John - there was a previous post discussing nebulizer use of magnesium....
Check here and read down through...

[www.afibbers.org]

Jackie
April 15, 2014 10:44PM
Thanks Jackie.
Am doing the reading.
April 16, 2014 08:08AM
Hello John,
I would like to know it acupuncture is working on you. I'm also a vagal affiber and I would like to try this treatment.

Enrique
April 16, 2014 11:57PM
@Enrique
To tell you where i am coming from:
For the last year or so i was having runs of ectopic beats after physical work, associated with localized back pain. Often they would last all night and into the next day. I am 62. Then a couple of months ago i had fast afib again for about 7 hours which converted by itself in hospital. They gave me flecinaide as pill in the pocket for when it happens again.
I have had episodes of afib for the last 10 years, but usually a year, sometimes 2 years apart.
Since they began i ceased smoking and drinking, followed Dr Lam's afib protocol of supplementation for a few years, had mercury fillings removed, had chiropractic adjustments, acupuncture, kept up a good organic diet, moderate exercise (building work). Tried taurine, mag/cal, hawthorn juice, you name it! Also i have sleep apnea although not overweight and use a cpap at night.
In all that time no doctor has given me any advice on triggers, diet, exercise, lifestyle, supplementation (except good Dr Lam), mercury burden, link to apnoeas, meditation, acupuncture, or in fact any meaningful strategy for coping with this illness, other than the pill in the pocket, beta-blockers, and blood thinners. I had to quote the Chads score a couple of years ago else i would still be on wafarin!

Since the last afib episode i have started taking epsom salts baths and using magnesium oil spray on my back when it hurts after working, and have had 5 or so acupuncture sessions, one a week using the points described in the article. I also had one chiropractic adjustment when my back was really bad, and it was he who mentioned epsom salts baths to relax the muscles. I have also begun Tai Chi once a week - great fun and good smooth exercise.

All i can say is that so far i have had no runs of ectopic beats after working. It's like they almost just switched off. Is it the magnesium? Is it the acupuncture? Is it just a remission? I don't know. But it's definately worth a try, and the more of us who try it will give a better overview of it's efficacy.
I didn't mean to write so much! I hope that if you try the acupuncture you get good benefits. It can't do any harm. Same with the baths and the spray, try it, cant do any harm. The best of Luck to you.
April 17, 2014 04:10AM
John,

I have some ideas for soft tissue work you can do yourself to help back pain. If you are interested, PM me and I'll detail.

George
April 17, 2014 06:19PM
JohnBM... I'm glad to see you are improving with your regimen and as you are learning, it can take quite a bit of time to clear the body of old toxins and old habits and allow for restoration. You mention the sleep apnea. I've recently investigated apnea as I had a test that indicated elevated lactic acid which is apparently an indicator or can be.. an indicator.. for apnea. I did a lot of reading and asking of the apnea experts I consulted. Did a miniversion of an apnea study which was a preliminary screening in which I tested normal. However, the evidence is there for the connection for AFib and apnea.

I love that you are doing so many holistic things for your back and overall biorhythms.

Be well,
Jackie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2014 07:01PM by Jackie.
April 18, 2014 01:32PM
Thanks Jackie,
Sleep studies check you for 8 hours out of your life, and murphy's law states that those 8 hours will show all clear. I have been using an open-source program called Sleepyhead that reads the data stored nightly on the cpap machine, and now have a good record of my sleep breathing. I also use an oximeter now and again which also displays in Sleepyhead.
What it shows is a lot of apneas, more central that obstructive in my case, wirh corresponding drops in o2 levels. These can trigger responses that make one more liable to disrythmia and even afib.
I got the oxymeter through ebay, the newer ones are bluetooth capable. They record heartrate and oxy sats which you can display in a program on the computer. That way you can tell if you are having apneas. If you connect them via usb to Sleepyhead, they will record the plethy waveform as well for as long as you wear it.
Regards
John
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login