Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How easy is a PVI?

Posted by Dirk 
How easy is a PVI?
March 27, 2014 11:03AM
Hi,

I am a paroxsysmal afibber and think that I´m coming closer to an ablation since my meds (Flec) are beginning to fail. I have frequent breakthroughs of short-lasting afib. Probably it is going to be a straightforward PVI as I never have had persistent afib and my overall burden is relatively low (about 0.5 percent).

How llikely is it to suffer from complications like left atrial flutter or other nasty arrrhythmia after a PVI only procedure done by an expert? I know that this, while being rare, might happen if you get an extensive ablation of other areas of the left atrium as well but how about a plain and simple PVI? I couldn´t find anything about this issue on the web.

Thanks for your help.

Dirk
Re: How easy is a PVI?
March 27, 2014 11:17AM
Hi Dirk,

It can happen no doubt, but is less likely with a real expert, nevertheless that is a certain amount of unpredictability in post index ablation flutter or tachycardia occurrence and its not just down to which areas are ablated. There are anatomical and substrate variations person to person, that mean even the most experience EP can't promise you won't have a post ablation tachy or flutter. Often those are self resolving over time and around 50% of the time require a touch up to get rid off.

They are more common with more extensive ablations, but then if you need a more extensive ablation, that is a far better way to get to the goal of real freedom from the beast then trying to do the absolute minimum while leaving unaddressed other obvious active trigger sources just out of trying to avoid a starting a random tachy or flutter foci or line.

That is why ablations are a 'process'. With your degree of rather mild AFIB still, your odds are excellent for a true one and done experience with a true expert ablationist. Even pretty good with a more typical 'good' but maybe not elite level ablationist as well. Hence dont beat around the bush forever as this thing continues to progress, which I know you won't from our PM conversation.

No one can give you an honest guarantee or number on your own chance for a post ablation flutter. Just make the best choice you can and go forth with confidence and relax in having done your best, you will almost certainly do very well Dirk.

Shannon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login