Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ahh! Gave my daughter 300 mg. of Flec by mistake!

Posted by tobherd 
Ahh! Gave my daughter 300 mg. of Flec by mistake!
March 14, 2014 12:41AM
In an effort to consolidate some of the many supplements and pills I take, I put a few things together in one of those Monday-Sunday pill holders, when we headed off on vacation last week. When my 22 year old daughter asked for some Tylenol for a headache, I reached in and took out 2 oval, thin, white pills, assuming it was the Tylenol. After a little while she said to me that she felt dizzy, and her vision was 'weird"... I was concerned but didn't realize what had happened until she asked if I was sure it was Tylenol. I looked at the pill dispenser and realized that the Tylenol and the Flecainide look almost identical - except that one is slightly larger! I tried to calmly call the pharmacist to ask if there was any concern, especially since she takes Zoloft for anxiety- and now she had just swallowed 300 mg. of Flecainide! He said he wasn't worried about the interaction but said I should watch her carefully and if her symptoms got worse, to take her to the doctor. We were on line waiting to get into the TV show "The Price is Right", which my son REALLY wanted to get on, so I was holding my breath and keeping an eye on her...asking her to check her pulse from time to time. Thankfully, her pulse seemed steady and today, she is fine (this happened yesterday).

That was scary! A good reminder to leave serious medications in their own bottles.

~ Barb
Re: Ahh! Gave my daughter 300 mg. of Flec by mistake!
March 14, 2014 09:58AM
Well, at 22 years old at least her odds of keeling over from a CVD Fecanide induced cardiac arrest was very unlikely.

A very good warning though to look closely before swallowing of dishing out pills to others :-).
So Glad it was a harmless reminder Barb.

Am on break at ISLAA conference this morning a really interesting morning slot of presentations on LAA anatomy,
physiology and neuro-hormonal impact both in AFIB and after LAA ligation with a Lariat or Atriclip, surgical amputation, and Watchman . Learning a lot of cool things I wasn't aware of and a number are new findings being presented here for the first time with so much research now focused on the LAA which is a significant source if both stroke risk and as a source for arrhythmia generation and sustaining atrial tachycardia.

Amazingly . Aldosterone, renin, adrenaline (ephinephrine) and nor-adrenaline (nor-epinephrine) all all reduced after a Lariat ligation even long term!

And adiponectin expression is notably increased after ligation longer term which shows up as modest weight loss in most Lariat patients in a study still under way and not quite ready for detail publication.

Its possible the factor that helps in some of these hormonal improvements may be elimination of a particular fat pad that occurs with ligation or amputation of the LAA that can have this positive neuro-hormonal impact.

ANP levels drop a lot as soon as the LAA is tied off but regain balanced production entirely by the 3rd month as the rest of the left and right atriums compensate, and in particular the right atrial appendage which is a larger source of ANP than is the LAA.

Interesting ramifications ... Maybe I'll start a new weight loss clinic featuring the Lariat ...ha! ... Just teasing.

Break is over so back to the conference

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 03:29PM by Shannon.
March 14, 2014 08:24AM
Ahhh, Barb, too many pills are "small white and oval." I once took an AMBIEN instead of my estradiol BEFORE going out to dinner and having a drink! I slept through dinner. I thought there was something in my drink -- my husband just thought I was tired!! Fortunately I had him and my friends to get me back to our room (we were at a resort.) Now I always keep pills in their prescription bottles -- too risky!

Louise
March 14, 2014 08:34AM
Hi barb. I worry about my grandchildren getting at my stash of supplements or my dropping a tiny metoporol or a not much larger Coumadin and not being able to find it on the floor. The toddlers put everything they find on the floor into their mouths. Recently sAw a report on TV that a large % of calls to poison control are due to children ingesting grandparents medication. I try to keep this in mind whenever I open a prescription bottle.
Happy your daughter suffered no ill effects. Did you get into the show? If so when will it air? Dennis
March 14, 2014 02:40PM
Wow, Barb, that's scary. Hope your daughter is ok.

Enjoy your vacation. You deserve it.

Jean
March 14, 2014 10:52PM
Thanks everyone - she is still OK and lucky that nothing came of it, other than dizziness and some vision problems for a few hours. I definitely learned my lesson!

We got on the program, but just as audience members, not contestants. While that would have been great, it was still alot of fun. Drew Carey was terrific, entertaining and very personable, and it was just fun to be part of the craziness!

Yes, Dennis - that is something to be careful of. I just have "grand -dogs", not grandkids, but dont' want them getting into any pills eihter...

~ Barb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login