Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Natale Ablation

Posted by JAYHAWK 
Natale Ablation
March 10, 2014 12:16PM
Three years ago today I had an ablation with Natale in Austin. I have been problem free ever since!!! I was required to take warfarin for 90-days post procedure, but otherwise the only medication he recommended was a 325 mg aspirin daily.

After my diagnosis for atrial fibrillation I progressed from a “pill in the pocket” to daily medication (Multaq eventually) over a brief period of time. However, the medication did not completely control my arrhythmia and had side effects. While I was very adamant that I did not want an ablation I also did not want to be tethered to the damn medication. So, I believe that fate was at work for me……I found this site and Natale moved to Austin. Had I not found this site while doing research on atrial fibrillation not sure if my course of action would have been the same. I greatly appreciation the guidance and assistance that I received from others on this site……my ablation has had a significant impact on my life. Thank you very much!!!

Understand that an ablation is not necessarily a cure but more of a prevention. If my arrhythmia should reoccur will be headed back to Austin!

(One question…..what is the typical (or maybe average) time for an ablation. Understand this depends on many variables but was curious as to the actual average time they use the radio-frequency on your heart.)

Steve
Spring, Tx.
Re: Natale Ablation
March 10, 2014 01:01PM
Hi Jayhawk, I guess it depends how extensive the ablation is. I had a PVI which was relatively straight forward (by Dr Barrett) and he said the fluoroscope time was 22 minutes total.
March 10, 2014 01:34PM
Hello Steve! Good to read you are doing well.

Best to you,
Jackie
March 10, 2014 02:36PM
Hey steve good news, congrats!
Ive had four ablations shortest was five hours - longest 9 hours
Just had my PVA two weeks ago it was about 6 hours. Guess it all depends
March 10, 2014 08:03PM
Hi Steve,

Always good to hear from you! The RF time is not always the same as Fluoro time and there is more and more an effort these days to lessen the later (Fluoro) as much as possible even when the former (RF) might need to be a little more.

Afhound is right, the time for both actual RF time, which equates to actual burn time, will vary substantially depending on the degree of AFIB and non-PV triggers that need to be addressed.

The average complete PVAI for paroxysmal AFIB as performed by Dr Natale and all he has mentored, and which including isolation of the posterior wall and in many occasions isolation of the SVC (Superior vena cava) as well takes from 32 to 40 minutes of actual RF time. there is somewhat less Fluoro, all though the bigger savings in FLuoro often comes as you go into longer procedures as they is some fixed amount of fluoro time typically used for placement of all the hardware, transeptal puncture and such, and so many Fluoro conserving strategies take place mostly in being able t use Carto 3D mapping for catheter placement and burns and a bit less so Fluoro when you get to that part of the procedure.

While a typical PVAI might be 32 to 40 minutes of actual ablating time when RF energy is applied, a more extensive ablation like my index persistent AF procedure can require quite a lot of burning as I had 117 minutes of actual RF burn time which is just shy of two hours.

Anyway, the span from 30 min to 40 min is more or less the range of most burn times for a full straight forward PVAI like you had. For some other procedures, like an ostial PVI it can be quite a bit less, but those tend to be a bit less effective long term as well with less key areas addressed.

Wishing ongoing NSR for you Steve,

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2014 10:30AM by Shannon.
March 11, 2014 03:02PM
Shannon,

Thanks for the comments.

You accurately described my procedure per the ablation report!!

> The average complete PVAI for paroxysmal AFIB as
> performed by Dr Natale and all he has mentored,
> and which including isolation of the posterior
> wall and in many occasions isolation of the SVC
> (Superior vena cava) as well takes from 32 to 40
> minutes of actual RF time.

Exactly the areas of my ablation and time frame involved!

Steve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login