Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alcohol increasing PACs while on Flecainide?

Posted by Diane98683 
Alcohol increasing PACs while on Flecainide?
March 03, 2014 09:06PM
I've been on flecainide successfully for about 1 1/2 years. Recently, I've noticed when I have an alcoholic drink, I seem to have bad PACs or short periods of AFib (but only seconds long) that really feel like they could become full-blown episodes. They happen up to a few days after the drink. I don't seem to get them when I don't have a drink. I took a new job recently, and really don't want to have to get an ablation for the next year, and preferably the next 2 years, while I learn and get established in the new job. So I've been avoiding drinking for the most part, but I had a few drinks for my birthday a week ago, and had a drink on Thursday and champagne on Friday. I've had a couple of bad PACs since then.

I really seem to see a correlation. So, for me at least, it's a sign I shouldn't be drinking alcohol.

Anyone else have these experiences?
Re: Alcohol increasing PACs while on Flecainide?
March 04, 2014 09:11AM
I have the same experience with mine. I've been on flec for about seven yrs tho. So I don't know if the flec has a big part in it or just alcohol..
I have noticed periods where beer triggers and the after a while beer won't trigger. The same with clear liquor and also bourbon.
For me it seems worse the day or two after always which makes no sense.
Tim
Sam
March 04, 2014 10:20AM
This may have no connection with Flecainide.

Alcohol may now have become a trigger for you as it is for many of us.
March 04, 2014 11:59AM
Its the alcohol as Sam suggested, the Flec is just along for the ride in this case. Alcohol is exhibit 'A' on the known trigger list for AFIB and has cardio-toxic properties for myocytes. Best to avoid entirely is you are prone to AFIB or minimize as much as possible. Some can get away with it for a long while but its an added risk regardless.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2014 12:59AM by Shannon.
March 04, 2014 09:07PM
Yes, Dr. Mandrola recommends that people with afib avoid alcohol completely. That sucks for me because I love champagne.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login