Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will Trimethoprim Affect My Heart?

Posted by Sam 
Sam
Will Trimethoprim Affect My Heart?
February 17, 2014 10:34AM
I try to avoid medicines if at all possible and can't remember the last time I had an antibiotic.

It's been prescribed for Urinary Tract Infection though this diagnosis hasn't been confirmed yet. I'll know in 2 or 3 days when test results come back but my GP feels it's important to start immediately to avoid the the infection going to the kidneys. (I'm hoping it is a UTI as the alternative seems to be Prostate Cancer).

It's now 11 months since my last Afib episode and I'm anxious not to do anything to bring one on, especially since if I can stay clear for about a month I should be OK till at least next winter.

Thanks

Sam
Re: Will Trimethoprim Affect My Heart?
February 17, 2014 12:27PM
Sam,
Quite a few years ago, I had suspicious lesions in the urinary tract. Once cancer was ruled out I was placed on trimethoprim and I had a horrible reaction to it. But that was just me - I'd just watch out for nausea, loss of appetite, and come off it if you get those symptoms.
Incidentally, I DID get prostate cancer some years after that, but I don;t believe there's any connection - and I've been successfully treated for the PCa, so all good. I was told that I'd probably get more UTIs in future, but that's never happened (thank God - those diagnostic tools aren't any fun!)
February 17, 2014 12:41PM
Why don't you try a good formula containing D-Mannose and Cranberry extract for the UTI. If you hit it hard with D Mannose for the first week or so and then continue with a good maintenance dose and use an excellent quality Herbal UTi formula which any good health food store might suggest, you might find very good results with or without the anti-biotic.

I would take the D Mannose for sure regardless if you go ahead with the anti-biotic. Just look up D-Mannose and UTI infections on google and you will find all sorts of info and dosing guidelines.

D Mannose is completely benign as well. Regardless if you need to use an Anti-Bio or not to get rid of this infection, do use the D Mannose too and then afterward at the very first sign of any UTI reappearing just bomb it with a half teaspoon or so of D Mannose several times a day and it will almost invariably get rid of it before it gets entrenched.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2014 12:42PM by Shannon.
February 17, 2014 02:06PM
Sam,
I forgot the most important part: while I was on Trimethoprim, (three weeks) I had NO episodes! Mind you, I was in a good run with my AF at that point. But I was far more concerned about the nasty side-effects of that antibiotic!
Hope this helps
February 17, 2014 02:39PM
Sam - if you can't find the D-mannose... Xylitol sourced from birch trees is used to stop urinary tract infections. Also consider bombarding it with megadosing of Liposomal Vitamin C from LivOn along with cranberry or any of these combinations. You'll know quickly about the efficacy of these as they typically bring almost instant relief. No worries about afib.

Jackie
Sam
February 18, 2014 10:40AM
Thanks for the advice, folks!

I had, if fact, started D Mannose so I've now increased the dose and will at least wait till I get the results of the test tomorrow for a final decision with the odds against using the antibiotic.

Sam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login