Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ablation Recovery time needed question

Posted by smackman 
Ablation Recovery time needed question
January 28, 2014 06:40PM
I bought concert tickets for my Wife's 35th year of employment at Centurylink; Elton John. smiling smiley The concert date is March 22.

I have been given these dates to choose from for my Ablation with Dr. Natale. Feb. 27 and March 27. Will I have enough recovery time if I have my Ablation on Feb. 27 or should I wait till March 27?

Thanks in Advance.
Re: Ablation Recovery time needed question
January 28, 2014 06:44PM
Go Feb 27 for the ablation for sure Smackman,

You should easily be able to enjoy Elton John well before March 22!

Shannon
January 29, 2014 02:05AM
Hi Smackman,

I had my very extensive ablation from Dr. Natale this past Dec. 18th. I was able to drive to the MIL's house on Christmas, and 100 miles each way to my FIL's house on New Years with no issues. I actually did all the driving, my wife hates to drive. You do get more tired than usual for the first two weeks though. I did note that after five weeks I am continuing to feel better and better. Again, my ablation was long and extensive, your's will most likely be less. Today I was moving boxes in the garage and was packing a closet...I worked for at least six hours and feel fine. Pure sinus each and every day!

I would say go for both the early ablation and the Elton John tickets. My wife saw him in Vegas about a year ago, a perk for her job, and said his show was incredible.

Neil
January 29, 2014 10:53AM
I had my abllation on a Thursday in Austin, came home (Houston) Friday afternoon and was back in the office on Monday.
Quite frankly, post-ablation was not much of an issue for me.

Steve
January 30, 2014 09:49AM
I was completely back to normal after 24 hours but I had sedation, not a general anaesthetic.

Gill
January 30, 2014 11:30AM
I guess I'm different. My first ablation caused a lot of inflammation and post-ablation heart pain and other issues. Yes, the day AFTER the ablation I felt very good...but when the inflammation set in on the second day...I had difficultly doing anything. I needed to do carpentry work and pushed ahead but travel would have been difficult, as I needed rest frequently. This went on for many weeks.
My second "touch up" ablation caused no significant problems afterwards.
January 30, 2014 12:02PM
Had my ablation on a Friday. Was swimming laps again by Monday. Took a little longer for weight bearing exercises though. Started walking again right away, but hills were difficult for a while. Had some shortness of breath climbing and heartburn for a while. Had no trouble traveling.

Jim
January 30, 2014 05:04PM
It sounds like everyone has different experiences, but we all have two things in common. One is a big sore spot on our heart where it was branded several dozen times. The other is a puncture hole in a major artery in your leg. I could imagine what a burn on my arm, or a cut on my leg would look like, and generally they take about seven days to properly scab over and two weeks to have continuous skin. The red indicating inflammation can last a lot longer than that.

I had difficulties after my first ablation last year on June 3. I was over active, walking a lot and travelling after the operation. It is impossible to say that is why I relapsed six times over the next month, but I was waaaay more disciplined after my second ablation on July 8!

I would strongly caution against treating this as anything besides a major trauma to your heart. Going to an Elton John concert sounds like fun and I would not hesitate to go, but I would take the elevator and not the stairs. There is no way I would be exercising to soon.

The trouble with doing these different things, is you don't know if you are going to re-trigger the beast or not until it happens. The reward I got from the over indulgence was not at all worth having to climb back up on that stainless steel table again!

I'm in "six pack" shape and I felt really good right after my first operation. After the second one I was like a whipped puppy - asleep by 7:30 and dragging myself out of bed mid morning. It was not fun.

Not only are you recovering from a pretty serious operation, you are also recovering from the ravages of this disorder which can be nutrient deficiency, exhaustion, inflammation,gut issues etc. It's a good time to be gentle while the healing is underway.
Ron
January 30, 2014 08:14PM
Ron, I think you've made some excellent points. Another case in point: my wife knows a husband and wife who both had ablations. The story is that the wife heeded the EPs discharge instructions to take it easy whereas the husband got back into running pretty quickly. Guess who needed a second ablation? I'm planning on being conservative in the coming months. My goal was to do some short (and I do mean short) hiking in the White Mountains of NH this summer, but I'm gonna play that by ear.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login