Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fish oil AFIB reducing properties

Posted by Mikej 
Fish oil AFIB reducing properties
January 16, 2014 09:36PM
This 'alleged' research suggests we should all be knocking back more fish oil on a daily basis

ARKVILLE, VICTORIA, AUSTRALIA. In common terms, atrial fibrillation is the most common irregular heartbeat (cardiac arrhythmia). Ectopic beats (heartbeats initiated at a location other than the sinoatrial node) originating in the pulmonary veins (PVs) are a prime factor in the initiation and maintenance of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation (PAF). In addition, it is also well established that the PVs of patients with PAF exhibit distinct electrophysiologic properties that may form a substrate for AF maintenance. Long-chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids, in particular eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), the main components of fish oil, have consistently been shown to have anti-fibrillatory effects, but the evidence regarding chronic supplementation with fish oil on the initiation and maintenance of PAF is controversial.

Can Taking Fish Oil Supplements Benefit Those with Irregular Heartbeat?

Researchers at the Royal Melbourne Hospital report the results of a clinical trial carried out to determine the effects on pulmonary veins and left atrium electrophysiology of 1-month (average 40 days) supplementation with a natural fish oil preparation providing a daily intake of 1500 mg of DHA and 300 mg of EPA. The trial involved 36 patients with PAF (18 to 75 years old) who were scheduled to undergo a pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) procedure. At least a month before the PVI the trial participants were randomly assigned to a control group or to the fish oil group.

On the day of the procedure all patients underwent continuous electrocardiographic monitoring for 4 hours before ablation. Blood samples were also drawn to determine fish oil concentration expressed as percent fraction of total fatty acids in the phospholipid fraction. After insertion of the necessary catheters, but prior to the actual ablation, the Australian researchers measured the following electrophysiological parameters. For further explanation of how irregular heartbeat can be measured. see Heart Rhythm 101.

RR interval – The elapsed time between two heartbeats measured in milliseconds
P wave duration (atrial depolarization)
Effective refractory periods (ERPs) of each pulmonary vein and left atrium
Pulmonary vein and left atrium conduction times
The Results: Fish Oil and Irregular Heartbeat

There were no significant differences in RR interval, P wave duration, and pulmonary vein and left atrium conduction times between the two groups. However, ERPs in the pulmonary veins and the posterior (back wall) left atrium were significantly longer in the fish oil group. This is very significant as a longer ERP is associated with a lower risk of initiating ectopic beats and AF. The difference in ERP was substantial with all members of the fish oil group having an ERP (in the left and right superior PVs) of 200 ms or longer as compared to the control group where ERPs as short as 120 ms were recorded. The members of the fish oil group also exhibited less dispersion of pulmonary venous refractoriness, which has been associated with a decreased tendency to PAF initiation.

The researchers speculate that the beneficial effects of fish oil may be due to one or both of two mechanisms:

A decrease in the frequency of AF episodes during the supplementation period resulting in reverse electrical remodeling.
A beneficial effect of incorporated fish oil on PV cellular membranes.
Kumar, S, Sparks, PB, et al. Effects of chronic omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation on human pulmonary vein and left atrial electrophysiology in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. American Journal of Cardiology, May 28, 2011 [Epub ahead of print]

- See more at: [www.oilofpisces.com]
Re: Fish oil AFIB reducing properties
January 16, 2014 11:27PM
Like many things, it seems to be individual. I've corresponded with some who said fish oil triggered afib.
January 17, 2014 09:26AM
There is good evidence for the effect reported above of Omega 3 in large enough doses, but clinically speaking it is unlikely by itself to make a major difference in AFIB burden with only adding this amount of DHA/EPA in folks with many years of active AFIB in which substantial structural remodeling has already taken place.

It's the ole' start it early before 'the horse has left the barn' analogy and wisdom. It's still very good to include for most everyone, even Afibbers with more advanced atrial disease, but expectations should be measured and not overblown. For younger people and those earlier in the AFIB history, insuring sufficient DHA/EPA can be a big help in potentially postponing and lessening the onset of episodes, and of course works even better when other nutritional, mineral and hormonal deficiencies are addressed as well. Especially before too much AFIB mileage has been clocked, after which its much harder to get a great result only from supplemental strategies alone without a solid ablation or two under one's belt.

Shannon
January 17, 2014 01:35PM
I'm still getting little cycles of 3days or so of ectopics post ablation which was 8 mths ago (not many, maybe 2-3 missed single beats a day during the 3 day spell once a month with an occasional little couplet). Might be worth me adding fish oil to see if it helps as they still freak me out - mind is having a hard time letting go of this thing even when I know they don't trigger the afib (YAY!)
January 17, 2014 07:04PM
Hi Heather, you are in excellent shape if only experiencing that many ectopics. Long may it continue.

After two touch up ablations I get thousands some days but no AFIB. I haven't had any luck with Mg but will try a bit more fish oil or maybe I should try snake oil.

Cheers
Mike
January 18, 2014 09:38AM
Hi Mikej,

How much Magnesium and in what form do you take each day? Most importantly, how much potassium do you take in via food and supplementally daily? After insure decent Magnesium repletion its really the potassium sufficiency that helps stop or at least minimize the PACs and ectopics. Or better said its the combination of the two that works best, not just magnesium alone for most people.

Here is Hans PAC-tamer recipe which is worth trying for sure for someone like you with a lot if ectopic activity.

PAC-tamer recipe.

Let's us know if that helps you or even just use potassium
Gluconate powder from NOW brand supplements available via our Iherb Vitamin Store link above and let us know if that helps out as it has for so many of us here.

Shannon
January 19, 2014 01:51PM
Allowing for individual variance, supplementing with DHA/EPA seems to improve health in general. Omega-3s are nutrients missing from modern diets.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
January 19, 2014 04:42PM
Hi Shannon, I have been reluctant to supplement with potassium to date and probably have dismissed it having previously not experienced any benefit by adding magnesium. I have tried various electrolyte powders with K in them with no +ve result.

It's been interesting to note over the past 4 years much more acceptance on this board in the advancements made with PVI ablation as a first line curative treatment . To me that signifies that supplements have not made any substantial impact on people with AFIB or other arrythmias who are otherwise in general good health eating a balanced diet. The skeptic in me says the companies who sell supplements are by and large selling substances to customers who then ingest them only for their kidneys to promptly remove and eject them.

The point that caught my eye about the fish oil was there appears to be some real data on impact of ERP.

Having said all that Mg is used in hospitals regularly for cardiac treatment so clearly it has effect. I have always shown to have normal levels of K and Mg blood readings. I haven't had the exatest.

Cheers
Mike
January 20, 2014 08:39AM
Mike,

They is very good data as well on both magnesium's and potassium's impact on keeping the heart quiet. Those electrolyte formulas don't have anywhere near enough potassium to help calm PACs and ectopics.

Restoring critical minerals can be a big help for many, but should not be thought if as a 'cure'. And for those with more long standing paroxysmal or persistent AFIB, it's exceeding rare for these supplements alone to accomplish the kind of freedom from AFIB as can a skilled ablation process. However, that doesn't imply at all that people who require an ablation or two to quiet things down cannot also benefit substantially, particularly in helping to minimize those annoying ectopics which can feel like you are on the verge of another full breakthrough episode.

By far, the best approach to successful long term management of this beast for the majority is a good blend of a quality ablation process and on-going efforts to improve nutritional status via good diet and supplements too as needed ... along with good stress mitigation practices as well.

Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 01:40AM by Shannon.
January 20, 2014 05:09PM
Hi Shannon, has there been any official trials of the benefit of K and Mg supplementation on a group of otherwise healthy people ie normal bloods, no heart disease and the reduction of ectopy such as the trial on fish oil high dosing proposes?

Holster monitor results of a statistical sample could prove this approach generally even if some don't respond to it.

Cheers
Mike
January 22, 2014 11:18AM
Shannon said... Restoring critical minerals can be a big help for many, but should not be thought if as a 'cure'

Yet - we have many pages of testimony from former afibbers who cured their AF by optimizing the electrolytes/minerals (as one example) that were low or imbalanced by other factors... such as a high calcium content in local drinking water that overpowered magnesium.

Additionally, let's not lose sight of the fact that there are many readers for whom ablations may not be accessible because of no health insurance and no money to pay out of pocket or even the fact that it would be impossible to travel to where an ablation could be performed. We have many readers living outside the US where ablations just aren't easily accessible… and again, affordable (or even safe).

In the early days of this forum, we had a focus aimed at helping educate new afibbers on the importance of the core nutrients that help support and normalize electrical conductivity in the heart. We know from the scientific literature that magnesium deficiency (as one example) creates an opportunity for cardiac fibrosis to form and interfere with electrical conduction and if not reversed in a reasonable time-frame will result in persistent and permanent afib.

Nutritional deficiencies manifest in more than just atrial fibrillation. We need to emphasize the importance of doing all we can not only for heart health but the whole body since Afib can be just a clue that other things have gone awry in the body (ie, the Canary in the Coal Mine analogy). An ablation won't have long-term success in a body that remains depleted of core essential nutrients or has other functional nutritional deficiencies that eventually set up other ailments caused by lack of requisite nutrients.

Over the past 11 years, I have corresponded with many former afibbers who haven't posted on their success of regaining a calm heart through nutritional interventions but they are extremely grateful for the insight and direction they received here.

I certainly think we owe it to new readers to understand the whole picture and the fact that many former afibbers didn’t need an ablation to cure their afib.
Certainly people with complicated health issues who are not considered to have "lone" atrial fibrillation are exceptions but for those just starting out with some random afib blips because of poor electrolyte balance or diets loaded with neurotoxins such as MSG, artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, or those depleting magnesium from too much alcohol, reversing and curing AF by nutritional means is definitely possible and worth trying.

Healthy regards,

Jackie
January 23, 2014 07:15AM
Thanks Jackie, I know you are a huge supporter of supplements. Wouldn't it be great to have scientific proof that Mg to bowel tolerance plus K or whatever the protocol is actually makes a difference for most affibers.

I can imagine that for some the very idea that taking Mg will resolve their arrythmia could help reduce anxiety which in turn could reduce ectopy. I have no doubt that for some with significant electrolyte imbalances Mg will assist but I question that is the case for most here.

Has a poll been taken on the readers asking if supplements have made a positive difference?

Cheers
Mike
January 23, 2014 12:13PM
Jackie,

I think a copy of your reply to Mikej's post should be given to every new Afibber who joins the forum, I agree with you 100%
If only we had our nutritional deficiencies remedied at the start of our Afib journey, a lot of us would be cured by now.

Colin
January 23, 2014 01:44PM
Mike - I can appreciate your need to see proof but the truth is... because every individual is different in their ability to absorb nutrients and then actually get them into the cells after ingesting them makes a study extremely complicated. Then there is the age difference factor. Everyone is in a different stage of health and effects of aging which then affects how well nutrients are absorbed and transported into cells for utilization. You'd have to isolate every person in the study and feed them identical foods and water during the trial and even then, that would not rule out the absorption interferences (such as GI tissue impairments) that are common a large segment of the population. Genetic differences also affect every single person.

However, hands-on treatment with magnesium supplementation and IVs has been offered by forward thinking medical practitioners who understand the fundamental biochemistry (and biophysics) that lies in the body's requirements for the essential, core nutrients. The years of history from patient successes (including our own collection of testimonials here) supports a logical first step in repleting that which is missing from daily diets or is rapidly depleted by influences such as competition from calcium, Rx drugs, other chemicals, alcohol and emotional/physical influences such as stress.

The proof of efficacy for magnesium's affect on a multitude of health issues has already been published back in 1980. The documentation is in the research of Mildred S. Seeling .. and the whole book is avaible for viewing online at Paul Mason's magneisum water website:

MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF DISEASE
Early Roots of Cardiovascular, Skeletal and Renal Abnormalities

Mildred S. Seelig, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.N.

Goldwater Memorial Hospital
New York University Medical Center
New York, New York

[www.mgwater.com]

Then, of course, after magnesium repletion comes the most important mineral/electrolyte for managing the electrical segment of arrhythmia and that's getting potassium where it needs to be continually which can be difficult because diets tend to be high in added sodium in commercially prepared foods that is so prevalent in everyone's diet today. Beyond that, there are other refinements that help solidify the stabilizing effect of optimizing the electrolytes, but it certainly is the place to start. That, along with a complete assessment of a person's diet, lifestyle, mental status and physical activity is just fundamental in any first consult such as arrhythmia and much more. Unfortunately, unless one sees a practitioner of functional medicine or naturopath, it's not often a consideration at all since Rx drugs are typically the first line of defense and as we know, do nothing to replete the body of the essentials for life.

Jackie
January 23, 2014 01:49PM
Thank you, Colin. I totally agree and not just for Afib. There are many other ailments that people treat for endlessly that could be alleviated with a proper nutritional assessment at the onset by a practitioner who is well versed and unfortunately, that can be difficult to find.

Jackie
January 23, 2014 02:25PM
HI Jackie,

I should clarify my comment above that mineral rebalancing for all its major benefit for myself and so many others here should not be viewed as a 'cure', which you felt isn't correct with so many that appear to have been cured by nutritional means alone.

I have and continue to universally support and promote adopting the Strategy as a first line step and encourage everyone to do so not just as a part time experiment but as a permanent life style change for all the reasons you clearly spell out in the longer post above in this thread.

However, my definition of 'cure' is a little more strict than others perhaps. While it is undoubtedly true that a decent number have regained a near functional removal of active AFIB from their lives with mineral and overall nutritional and dietary repletion of key biochemicals they were lacking in sufficient amounts. This to me is not a true 'cure'. And those typically for whom this repletion process tends to have the most pronounced results also tend to be the earliest in their AFIB career, before too much structural remodeling has set in, after which, the ability to really free oneself from AFIB/Flutter that is, if we are talking about quite a few years of longer standing paroxysmal AF with longer episodes in the 18 to 24+ hour range or even persistent AFIB, it is much less likely via supplements and diet alone. However, even in those more challenging case the recommended protocols are still very valuable for overall health as well as giving the best foundation possible for keeping the heart as steady as possible without the often necessary help of an ablation,

Neither is an otherwise successful ablation considered a true and permanent 'cure' at this point in our experience base by that same standard, both nutritional restoration and a skillful ablation(s) are two highly compatible and useful tools in my book for buying as much NSR time in our lives as we can .. period!

If you stop the nutrients and good dietary practices it won't be long before the beast is back so it is not actually curing the underlying condition making us prone to fibrillating from said nutrient deficiencies when so many other suffering similar deficiencies do not experience AFIB, and in many case even when our dietary, supplemental and ablations have worked well for a good long while, the underlying changes from aging and our still incomplete understanding of remodeling and progressive changes from our predisposition to fibrillate can bring AFIB/Flutter roaring back again in spite of dedication tot the Strategy and high quality diet.

The very same is true of even the best ablations, from what we know to date, they buy us more time and increasingly we are finding that after a more comprehensive and complete ablation process, that can also be seen as if a functional 'cure' even though I would hesitate to call myself 'cured' even though my heart has been solid as rock after my last ablation to isolate the LAA over a year and a half ago and moving toward 6 years since the last blip of AFIB.

It may be a matter of semantics, but I am no less enthusiastic in recommending everyone's first step to be to try to put a lid on this vexing problem with restoring a better balance nutritionally in the body and to make that an ongoing priority even if it is not always and for the majority a 100% effective program, and if you still require a good ablation to get ahead of the curve here. That should not be considered a failure.

In addition, I fully encourage everyone to sustain a good diet and supplement program as well even after an apparently fully successful ablation and not get too cocky thinking they can party hardy now that a rock star EP has zipped up their left atrium in good form. Its easy to take it for granted that the relief from a new found quiet heart will always last.

That is the delimma of this condition that we all know so well. When you are suffering from AFIB you will do anything to get out of it, but once you are back in NSR for some time the mind starts to rationalize why you don't need to do this or that and can just go for broke with either extreme exercise or returning to a thoughtless diet or embibing in prior triggers as much as you want simply because you have some currently effective lesions in place keeping the beast at bay.

This is an ongoing management issue in my book, the nutritional approach can indeed work for a good number of people very well for a long period, but as more progression of the disease takes place in structural remodeling, the likelihood that will be enough by itself to truly keep you quiet has lower odds of success without also adding in an expert ablation as well.

Likewise, keeping the heart quiet long term is also about learning how to better care for the entire body and make those life style changes that will benefit every aspect of health which only makes good common sense. In that way, AFIB can be your own canary in the coal mind warning you of a fundamental imbalance as well that needs looking after.

I prefer terms like "My AFIB has not been a problem for me for 'x' number of years due to whatever you are did and continue to do" rather than the greater hubris it requires to proclaim "I cured myself from AFIB" via either ablation or nutrition or both. We just don't have enough time with enough people to be able to make those claims in my book.

A few here have proclaimed total cures over a period of time. Only Erling though, that I know of, has claimed a permanent cure and has a very long number of years in which he reports no activity at all from a strictly nutritional approach and perhaps he has been entirely AFIB free with not even any silent activity for over 10 years or whatever it has been, but that so far seems to be more an exception than a rule, at least in what I have been able to glean, and there will always be some exceptions on each side of the coin.

As you noted some have reported from time to time what feels like a cure, and then often we never hear from them again. How many of those were really cured or who just enjoying a long respite from the beast that all of us have experienced from time to time, often with the help of nutritional repletion program, but sometimes as well seemingly randomly with the ebb and flow of this condition? It would be very optimistic to just assume all those that reported a great effect say from the Strategy for some period of time when they were posting here have all automatically remained effectively 'cured' and that is why we rarely if ever hear from them again.

And your cogent description above Jackie for how difficult it would be to structure and follow up with a valid survey due to constant changes with aging, other co-morbities, assimilation and absorption issues etc etc, could be considered 'exhibit A' for why its not as realistic to assume very large percentages of afibbers who have had the condition for some longer period are likely to have the dedication, interest and discipline to do all that is necessary to insure genuine IC levels of nutrient absorption needed to have the kind of lasting success that might qualify as more or less a cure. In the real world, most everyone can gain some truly significant help from the protocols when followed carefully and with dedication, but in my view and experience far fewer will ever be able to declare a longer time 'cure' from the dietary changes alone and have it hold up indefinitely.'

I do agree as well with Colindo that the key for the best chance for the greatest benefit is to catch people early and get them into the protocols as soon as possible after their initial AFIB experience. That is the best time to start in order to derive the biggest bang for their buck with the highest odds of success longer term, with both the natural approach and with ablation.

In your own case Jackie, you have had a very admirable result from a combination of an early good ablation with Natale and very dedicated dietary and supplemental protocols augmented by energy medicine and the grounding efforts and are a great model for how this combination can and has worked for you, and that has helped so many of us here as well! And yet, the breakthroughs of AFIB/Flutter of the past year shared here also make the word 'cure' a bit too strong of a term and I you have never claimed such I realize. We both see eye to eye on this issue and discuss these thing all the time. With maybe the only subtle distinction being with our definition of a cure. Nevertheless, your experience as well as my own, certainly argue strongly for this combined approach being the best way to managed this condition for sure.

Perhaps someday we will get more comfortable with the word 'cure' after many many years of zero activity. In the meantime, my past roller coaster experience with this condition gives me pause about using that term, and yet I am filled with immense gratitude for the freedom from AFIB I presently enjoy and I feel that is a very healthy and balanced message to convey as well to new Afibbers first coming here .... there is real hope for a much better life even if it doesn't always measure up to a complete and permanent true 'cure'. In any event, I hope that clarifies for any new folks here my view on this important issue.

Cheers!
Shannon

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 09:45AM by Shannon.
January 24, 2014 07:22AM
Thanks Shannon and Jackie, it seems there is no 'cure' yet but ablation is a big step in the right direction and has scientific measured results backing up claims it makes a difference. I'm one of the lucky ones with access to a highly regarded EP who has kept me free of the beast more or less for the past five years and allowed me continue playing soccer. I don't feel totally cured owing to the amount of heart activity I get each day. I follow this board in the hope someone will come across a proven solution (especially for PACs).

The concern I have with some of the ideas proposed here is that the results are generally anecdotal. There are a few people on the board including you both it appears with science backgrounds. I would like to see more effort to prove that supplements do reduce arrhythmias for most people. Medicine is full of storys of medical pioneers trying drugs themselves to measure effects. There are a lot of people following advice here to increase Mg and K regardless of whether they have already adequate stores of it in their bodies. It would be great to turn that belief and effort into a live experiment with measured results showing if Mg and/or K does actually make a difference.

I seem to recall Gill on this board reporting on the benefit from K supplementation making the 1,000's of ectopics she has regularly less noticeable. Is that because she feels more positive from taking these supplements and as a result she is spending less time thinking about her heart ie tuning out of the heart beat OR is it the K actually softens the heart beat like beta blockers do to make the ectopics less noticeable?

I have increased my fish oil intake since posting the article above but haven't found any difference thus far. I'll increase the dose a little next week to see. If I feel better whether due to placebo effect or not I'll report that to the board. But to make a more robust contribution I should measure my ectopic activity over a period of time on a holter monitor without the fish oil and then measure activity with the oil. Therein lies the problem so I'll just report if I feel better from it.

Regards
Mike
January 24, 2014 08:45AM
Mike there are conclusive tests you can take for both magnessium and potassium as well as other electolyte, nutrients and vitamins. You don't need to guess or wait for any more conclusive tests. If the tests prove you are deficient in anything, then it makes sense to correct the imbalance. I had all of such tests as Exatest, NutrEval, Alcat, Comprehensive Cardio Profile, Adrenal sufficiency along with the typical lab tests for potassium, vitamin D, lipids etc. and it really helped in understanding and taming the beast.

I don't think this site is suggesting to anyone to supplement potassium without knowledge of your levels. Blood serum tests are accurate, but they only show your levels for that moment in time. The overwhelming recommendation is to buy and use a Cardy meter, which is a very accurate device and can totally guide you in repleting potassium. A fair number of afibbers are involved in high output sports, and we seem to deplete the electrolytes, so it really makes sense to know where your potassium levels are throughout the day.

It took a willingness to spend the time and money, but I was able to nail down the roots of my afib, and then go about systematically correcting the imbalances both before and after my ablation. Where the process does become anecdotal is in how to correct. For me it took a major change in my eating and drinking habits, exercise (too much), and commitment to sleep and stress reduction. The actual taking of supplements and repleting the deficient items was definitely more art than science, as the body seems to respond gradually and unevenly. But when you are armed with the scientific knowledge that is available, changes can be made that are specific to your needs. Many people on affibers have improved their lives by using this focus. I don't believe that an ablation alone can be a cure without fixing the imbalances one has and which can be easily proved through the right type of readily available tests.

I'm just hoping and praying that I can stay in NSR, while I try to follow my own advice and avoid the temptations that can get me into trouble!

Good luck to you,
RonB
January 24, 2014 09:27AM
Thanks for the post RonB, very well said.
And Mikej , I understand fully your question and wish for more evidence. There is loads of good research clearly identifying th benefits for helping to mitigate AFIB when there is sufficient levels of IC magnesium and sufficient or 'normokalemic' levels of serum potassium on board as well.

In the upcoming AFIB Report that will be out week after next, we share the two latest such studies that are very solid and go a long way toward once again reaffirming the important role of sufficient IC mag and potassium in a large population based study in which the participants where followed for many years and had no idea their Magnesium and potassium levels were even being measured, much less anything about AFIB, and yet a very clear association was seen between progressively lower serum potassium and IC magnesium and an increased risk for developing AFIB .. note though these are two separate studies summarized in the next AFIB Report, one on IC magnesium and AFIB and the other looking at serum potassium and risk for AFIB in the long duration Rotterdam Study out of the Netherlands.

Such studies not only reaffirm the biochemical rationale for the plausibility of the 'Strategy' protocol, but also undermine the notion that any benefits when taking those supplements must be due primarily to placebo effects. At the end of each of these studies are lists of references to other similar studies done and the combined evidence is very compelling if you'd like to investigate the literature further.

However, in order to have the best chance for success with nutrient repletion you need to dedicate yourself to doing some testing as RonB said and not just take some magnesium or fish oil capsules for a while and if you still have a few ectopics or AFIB episodes then make the mistake of automatically assuming the exercise was a waste of time for you. Common assimilation and absorption differences among people that only increase with aging as Jackie noted in her post above, highlight why our variable digestive efficiency and other competing conditions can make many of us run through those minerals much faster than the average person. This, in turn, makes the process of the Strategy more of a personal individual experiment over time. Don't give up too easily!

It very much can and often does at least help with reducing the very ectopic nuisance you describe if you take the time to investigate this area properly.

Much of modern society, including many doctors quite understandably, have become conditioned for the quick fix of a pill or procedure that has very fast results. Repletion of long term deficiencies of biochemicals most often takes a good deal more effort and focus than most are used too or willing to commit to, and all too often folks give it a whirl for a while and they drop it. Very often giving it up without making the level of commitment needed to really discover for themselves just how much help adding such a change to their dietary and supplement routine might have made in the long term.

That being said, for many of us even a thorough and committed nutritional program won't be enough to achieve more or less on-going freedom from AFIB and yet it can still provide a ver useful adjunctive role to a solid ablation. The important and difficult thing is in recognizing that fact when it starts to become obvious sooner rather than later and adding the major key of a skilled ablation in a timely manner can very much provide the big step needed for success.

In my experience, that combined approach is most often the best one. Though by starting with the dietary and Strategy modifications first and giving them a full year, particularly if its still relatively early in one's AF career and there is not too much frequent suffering with highly symptomatic AFIB episodes, then it's definitely possible for a fair number of folks to find relative freedom for a very long time as well, even without an ablation. The point is you will never know if you could have gained a long measure of stability via this route unless one really goes for it.

The key nuance here is giving the nutrient program a sufficient and thorough effort while not dragging it out so long even in the face of continued AFIB activity just to avoid an ablation out of fear or from some misplaced pride in feeling like you will have failed or just didn't do quite enough naturally if you acknowledge that you need an ablation too, even after an heroic effort with the Strategy. You just don't want to keep procrastinating too long while the heart continues to remodel if there is ongoing frequent AFIB even in spite of heroic efforts on the biochemical repletion front.

Making that judgment of when its time to add the next step of an ablation is the fine line that is often hard to recognize when you are in the middle of it, I know from first hand experience. And the scientific evidence is only mounting that the sooner an expert ablation is done the better chances to be truly one and done with a top quality EP.

If someone comes to this site later in the game after many years of long standing AFIB, then seat the Strategy protocols right away but also start getting your ducks in a row with a top EP for an ablation within 6 months to a year tops is my suggestion, During that span if you should be fortunate enough to get complete relief for all AFIB/Flutter then you can always postpone the ablation, but it will give you time as well to get whatever benefits you can get from restoring your nutritional health as well which will help overall in the recovery process post ablation and very likely at least help in keeping things quieter on the ectopic front going forward as well.

Shannon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 02:17PM by Shannon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login