Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

11 years of nsr post ablation

Posted by Gill 
11 years of nsr post ablation
January 07, 2014 05:54AM
Pour encourager les autres....

Tuesday, January 7th 2003, Bordeaux, first ablation by Prof. Haissaguerre after years of paroxysmal and 18 months of persistent AF. AF recurred Friday morning. 2nd ablation done 4 hours later at no extra cost. He said that the AF may well have stopped by itself but since I had travelled so far he did the second one right away.

He thought one of the lines might have a gap but that was not the case. There was a highly toxic focus in the coronary sinus that was extremely hard to find and ablate. I am sure that a less skilled operator would not have found it.

January 16th, back home in London, AF again - I was in despair. BUT..... After 2 hours it stopped all by itself and since then I have had 11 years of glorious nsr, no medication.

At my annual checkup in London, if I ask my EP about longterm results he says "You ARE the longterm!"

Gill (pronounced 'Jill', female, age 76)
Re: 11 years of nsr post ablation
January 07, 2014 11:22AM
Wow Gill! That's great. I hope mine lasts that long.

Jim
January 07, 2014 02:02PM
Gill,

Keep it up and enjoy the diving! It was truly fortunate you had the foresight back then to choose Haissaguerre. I've been around here since the summer of '04 and recall many of your posts over the years.

Great news!

George
January 07, 2014 02:42PM
George

I had done masses of research before I chose Prof. Haissaguerre, including struggling through his landmark 1998 article. If only I had found this forum before my ablation I could have saved many hours of work.

Gill
January 07, 2014 03:13PM
Gill,

Your diligence and perseverance with your research is the epitome of many of the prolific posters who have made this site a premier source of information over the years.

George
January 07, 2014 10:12PM
Hi Gill,

Seems so many of us go way way back, don't we?! And it seems like the vast majority of us old timers have made it over the other side of the fence. I recall the good tips you shared with me too about Bordeaux before my visit there to interview with Prof Haissguerre as well when I was living in Amsterdam those years.

Great to hear all is well and ticking right along.

Have a lovely new year!

Shannon
January 08, 2014 01:18PM
Thank you for that lovely update! And many more years of NSR to you.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
January 08, 2014 06:40PM
Hi, Gill,

Your story has been a real inspiration to me over the years, and I'm always pleased to hear that things continue to go so well for you. I also admire the perseverance you exercised in researching AF when the information was much harder to find and understand than it is now. It's clear that your investment in finding a truly first-rank EP was more than worth the effort, and your experience, along with that of many others on this list, was the reason I made the decision to see Dr. Natale.

All best wishes,

Rob
January 11, 2014 08:20PM
Gill - your similar 2012 post came through at time when I was at my darkest moment, so I printed it out and keep it in a small stack of other poignant messages that I use for inspiration now and then. You helped with my decision to travel from western Canada to Bordeaux for my first ablation on June 3 and second one on July 8th - and now 6 months later I am in bliss!

The journey was not without its trials. I spent several years struggling with supplements, stomach issues and exhaustion. One of the big multi year battles was to bring myself back to dental health, from a mouthful of metals, bad root canal and gum disease.

With your inspiration, lots of help from Jackie (especially to help settle down the stomach issue), and sage words from many others, I feel like I have my life back.

Thanks for staying involved and carrying the message.

RonB
January 11, 2014 11:35PM
Hi Gill,
Congratulations on 11 years of NSR........and to think you could have easily said I'll stay in AFIB the rest of my life.
This was done back in the stone age no less. Prof. Haissaguerre is truly one of the best. Perseverance really paid off!

McHale
January 12, 2014 05:56AM
McHale

When BarryG was in Bordeaux a few years ago Dr Hocini told him that she cringed when she thought about what they did five years ago. Barry and I agreed that I had a 'cringe ablation'!

Gill
January 15, 2014 01:16PM
Congratulations, Gill.

Having followed your journey all this while, I'm just delighted for your results and continued success. Nothing 'beats' NSR.

Best to you,
Jackie
April 03, 2014 05:36PM
Gill,

just seen your post, I do not come here as often as before....
CONGRATULATION, great anniversary!!!!
I am very happy you are doing so well.

It has been 7 years for mesmileys with beer. since second Bordeaux ablation.
Wonderful AF free years.

All the best.
Aldona.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login