Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Undissolved Capsules

Posted by Louise 
Undissolved Capsules
December 06, 2013 02:05PM
Some of the supplements I take, such as Nattokinase, are in capsule form. I was with a doctor friend (radiologist) who told me that he is consistently seeing undissolved capsules in peoples intestines when reading film.

That would mean that whatever was in them is still there! Does anyone know of a way to tell what capsules are made of and if they are guaranteed to dissolve? This was actually shocking to me, since people take all kinds of medications and supplements in capsules.

Louise
Re: Undissolved Capsules
December 07, 2013 06:27PM
Louise - capsules are typically not a problem...it's the hard tablets (often coated) that seem to show up undigested in the patient's stool and which might also be reflected in an abdominal Xray.

To ensure that your capsules do break down, choose vegetarian caps if available and also take a digestive enzyme with meals along with those supplements you take with meals if you ar worried.

As for the Nattokinase capsules, I've used various brands for about 12 years and have never had anyone comment that something undigested showed on my radiographs.... and I take much more encapsulated nutrients than NK... probably 24 or more in a day.

If you are worried, you can always empty the capsules into applesauce or yogurt and consume the contents that way....unless the capsule is specifically marked.. enteric coated...then, you don't want to interfere with that. The Nattokinase powder, itself, is formulated to be enteric coated in some brands but apparently not all.

Jackie
December 08, 2013 11:39AM
Jackie, thank you. If you're taking 24+ a day without a problem I'm probably ok! I take Jarrow Taurine, which is a gelatin capsule, and my Nattokinase is a veggie cap. I was just concerned that I had been taking these supplements for months and they were not getting into my system!

Louise
December 08, 2013 12:10PM
Louise - highly unlikely. You can just empty the taurine capsule content onto a spoon and put the powder in your mouth...chew a bit to moisten and then wash down with water. It should be tasteless. That's what I use. It doesn't dissolve in water easily so the chewing method seems to work best.

Taurine is sold in bulk powder.. inexpensive ..NOW brand has it.

Jackie
Sam
December 09, 2013 10:13AM
Just a simple thought on using powdered supplements.

I take them in warm water and they generally dissolve very easily, including Taurine.

Sam
December 09, 2013 10:49AM
Thank you Jackie and Sam. Sam, I usually take all supplements with warm water. I'm probably fine, it's just that my radiologist said it is "very common" to see undissolved capsules, so I sort of panicked.

Lousie
December 09, 2013 12:30PM
Louise - he probably used "capsules" as a generic term and doesn't appreciate the composition distiction between the two. The dissolution of tablets has been the topic of discussion for years... often mentioned by those who empty PortaPotties ....that the undissolved vitamin capsules are observed in the residues when they service the latrines and note the variety of colored tablets. sad smiley

Jackie
December 10, 2013 07:22PM
Just stay away from the suppositories. They taste awful!

Murray L

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tikosyn uptake Dec 2011 500ug b.i.d. NSR since!
Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login