Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

EFT for stress and anxiety that comes with Afib

Posted by Jackie 
November 14, 2013 03:40PM

Recently I attended a 6-hour seminar series on Stress Management presented in three-parts hosted by the physical therapist I consulted for upper back pain that had become a continual annoyance. The first seminar was on Alternative Treatments for Pain; the second was Stress – The Final Frontier with the observation that: “Estimates are that 85-91% of illnesses and diseases that we suffer and die from are caused by stress.

The last segment lasted over two hours and examined why the Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) or “tapping” is an easy and highly effective tool to relieve anxiety, stress, pain and all that relates to PTSD (post traumatic distress disorders) and is about Energy Psychology frequently discussed by Bruce Lipton, PhD. Extensive demos concluded the session.

When Dr. Mercola first introduced EFT to his readers almost 20 years ago, I practiced it based on the CD he provided but then unfortunately forgot about it when I began my afib journey. This Stress workshop reminded me that EFT is a valuable tool for afibbers especially to help manage the accompanying stress and anxiety. While it may not resolve the onset of an afib event, it certainly helps create a sense of calm which will definitely help in a number of ways and may even serve to prevent a full blown event or shorten the duration of it. EFT is especially effective for pain and PTSD.

The presenter, Tom Ockler, told of his personal journey suffering for 27 years with PTSD and how after years of counseling and dollars spent, this simplistic technique was a cure for him. He told us about his visit to a Veterans’ facility where he gave a demo with audience participation. Person after person was totally amazed at the almost instant relief. His hour talk lasted over 5 hours while they rounded up more patients for him to treat. He told us that if we know a veteran suffering from PTSD to send them to him for free treatment. He even helps patients by skype sessions. In more difficult cases, it may take more than one session for treatment; but, then afterwards. they have the tool to do it ‘on demand’ themselves for the rest of their lives.

Tapping lines up the energy field. It targets and down-regulates the limbic system (prefrontal cortex area) which is the survival part of the brain. Tapping quiets down the amydgala.

A post-stroke woman in the audience asked if it would help with her left-arm muscle weakness and hearing loss. He encouraged her to use the technique frequently and keep a log of her improvements. EFT works well on phobias and another audience participant volunteered to be freed of her fear of flying. Just the thought of it gave her sweaty palms. After the tapping session, her palms were no longer sweaty and her anxiety level of 10 from the fear about flying was down to 1.

Tom commented that psychiatrists really hate EFT because it’s so effective. (To say nothing of the fact that drugs are no longer needed to manage these conditions).

There are dozens of Google links to EFT demos and discussions. You’ll notice that each demonstrates tapping slightly differently, but they all tap on the same acupuncture points. Watch a few to get the idea of the technique. It’s really easy.

This link is my PT, Tom Ockler, and the demo video clip at his site is by Dawson Church, PhD author of The Genie in Your Genes: Epigenetic Medicine and the New Biology of Intention.

Tom Ockler’s EFT
[www.tomocklerpt.com]

Dawson Church [www.youtube.com]

The Tapping Solution by Nick Ortner
[www.thetappingsolution.com]
[www.youtube.com]

See also: [eftuniverse.com]

Here’s one of many published reports on the efficacy of EFT and the documented study results.

Citation: Feinstein, D. (2012).

Acupoint stimulation in treating psychological disorders: Evidence of efficacy
Review of General Psychology 16, 364-380 . doi: 10.1037/a0028602
© 2012 , American Psychological Association [innersource.net]

Happy Tapping. You have nothing to lose by trying EFT and in the process, you may gain resolve over other issues that you need to address as well. Let me know how it works for you.

Jackie

PS

You can go here and sign up for a free mp3 download of Bruce Lipton's ACEP Conference keynote "Beings of Energy in Bodies of Matter".
[m360.energypsych.org]
Re: EFT for stress and anxiety that comes with Afib
November 14, 2013 05:15PM
Jackie,

Here is some more information on TFT/EFT from my first book (page 69-70):

Thought Field Therapy
Thought Field Therapy (TFT) was developed by Dr. Roger Callahan about 20 years ago. It is based on the observation that many psychological and even some physical disorders have their origins in negative thought patterns. The purpose of TFT is to eliminate these thought patterns. The technique involves the stimulation of a sequence of acupuncture points by tapping on them while focusing on the emotion created by thinking about the problem. The precise sequence of tapping depends on the nature of the problem to be eliminated. Tapping on an acupuncture point delivers mechanical energy to the point which is converted to electrical energy which travels along the appropriate meridians and in doing so collapses the negative thought patterns and thereby elicits healing. TFT is now practiced by thousands of psychologists and other health practitioners around the world and, according to its proponents and healed patients, is highly effective.

Dr. Callahan and other TFT practitioners recently released a series of papers discussing the relationship between TFT and heart rate variability. Their work shows that resolution of a problem automatically brings with it a beneficial change in HRV, that is, excessively low HRVs are increased and excessively high HRVs are decreased[65,66]. Dr. Callahan presents a series of 20 cases where the correlation between a successful TFT session and a beneficial change in HRV is clearly demonstrated[65]. Drs. Pignotti and Steinberg discuss 39 cases involving various disorders such an anxiety, depression, fatigue, attention deficit hyperactivity, obsessions, and anger. All cases were successfully treated with TFT and their resolution was accompanied by a beneficial change in HRV. One of the cases involved a 60-year-old man with atrial fibrillation. Prior to treatment his HRV was excessively high. After treatment it decreased to the normal range and the overall balance of the autonomic nervous system was significantly improved[67].

A very large study of TFT was carried out at Kaiser Behavioral Medicine and Behavioral Health Services in Honolulu. A total of 714 patients were treated for 31 different types of psychological problems. Improvements were observed in all 31 categories and were accompanied by improved HRV and autonomic system balance[63,68]. Relief workers in Kosovo reported a very high rate of success (247 of 249 treatments) using TFT to treat various traumas resulting from the war and ethnic cleansing[69].

Although the evidence for effectiveness of TFT and its strong correlation with HRV improvement is convincing the technique is still rejected by mainstream psychologists[70-72].

TFT has spawned other similar but simpler techniques for problem resolution through tapping on acupuncture points. The “Emotional Freedom Technique” (EFT) was developed by Gary Craig, an electrical engineer. EFT differs from TFT in that it uses a standard tapping sequence on 12 acupuncture points irrespective of the nature of the problem to be solved. EFT is very easy to learn (from a skilled practitioner) and is purported to be highly effective.

I have tried EFT, but did not find it beneficial for my afib. At least one afibber tried TFT, but again did not find it beneficial.

Hans
November 14, 2013 06:59PM
Hans - I do recall that portion of your book.

I'm not saying it will help reverse afib...... but definitely helps to reduce anxiety and stress that accompanies Afib.

Many afibbers generate a significant amount of anxiety with the least little blip or extra couple of beats which can then help propel into the next level. By using a stress-reduction technique such as EFT, at least it offers a measure of control.. .or something one can do that helps rather than just sit, obsess and escalate the anxiety.

With EFT, one can start tapping immediately - anywhere - any time - at the onset of PACs or AF which definitely diverts the mind from the heart activity to the meridian focus of the tapping points. All it takes is the mantra and your fingers.

Jackie
November 14, 2013 10:20PM
Very interesting, J. Can't wait to check it out.

Thanks for posting this info.

/L
Anonymous User
November 14, 2013 10:55PM
I can hardly wait to start reading about it too, as I have a bad problem with stress and anxiety, just what I was looking for..I had a CScan on my kidneys yesterday and I was a complete mess. I was afride to drive home I was so nervous..I made it, but I would hate to go through that again.. Maybe there is hope after all......thanks Jackie....Nel
November 15, 2013 10:42AM
I gave EFT/tapping a try when I started having PAC's that progressed right into a brief run of afib. It took a few rounds of tapping, but it worked for me. Anything to avoid a run to the ED and all the hassles and anxiety that come with it. I can't say it aborted the afib run (or maybe it did), but it sure helped. I don't have access to a PIP protocol, so EFT/tapping is my go-to strategy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login