Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

11 mos post-ablation - report

Posted by gehauser 
11 mos post-ablation - report
September 29, 2013 05:24PM
I thought I would update you on my LAF experience.

I had LAF from Jan 2012 thru Oct 2012.

Dr Tchou at Cleveland Clinic did my ablation Oct 23, 2012 and I have been afib free ever since. Actually, Dr Tchou performed my PVI, and Dr Abraham did my flutter line under Dr Tchou's supervision.

At my Feb 2013 followup, however, Dr Tchou found stenosis in my left inferior pulmonary vein. He had me do a stress test and lung perfusion in May 2013 to assess its effects, and he found that the stenosed vein was adversely affecting my lung capacity. So he set me up with Dr Prieto to do a pulmonary vein stent on the stenosed vein on Aug 1, 2013 (this is another catheter-based trans-septal puncture procedure).

By the Aug 1 PV procedure date, I had developed a worsening cough (no fever or infection) that Dr Prieto believed was due to the stenosed vein. During the procedure, Dr Prieto found that the vein branched about 1 cm from my heart, and both branches were stenosed as well. Under these conditions, she did not want to stent it (she would have had to use a smaller stent than she likes, which have worse outcomes than ballooning), so she ballooned all 3 stenosis locations.

The cough receded over the next 3-4 weeks, and I have had no cough since then (to date as of the end of September 2013). For aerobic exercise, I have been doing some regular hiking up a local mountain and I feel great. I go back to CC for a followup on the LIPV stenosis in Feb 2014. Dr Prieto said 30-40% of acquired PV stenosis recurs (restenosis) after ballooning, so while I am hopeful that mine will "stick", I may need another balloon procedure at some point.

I really like both of these doctors (Tchou, Prieto). Dr Tchou calls me at home in Knoxville to discuss test results, and he called twice over the weekend when I was recuperating in the Cleveland Clinic guest house after Dr Prieto's PV procedure. I ask tons of questions and both have been very accommodating - they are thorough and smart, and I have great respect for their opinions, skills, and knowledge.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2013 05:26PM by gehauser.
Re: 11 mos post-ablation - report
September 29, 2013 06:49PM
Congratulations on your successful procedure. You may be interested in this abstract from the International Health News database regarding the use of supplements to prevent restenosis [www.yourhealthbase.com]

Hans
September 30, 2013 11:11AM
Great news Gehauser! Sounds like you are in good hands at the Cleveland Clinic.

Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2013 11:12AM by mailman52.
September 30, 2013 02:01PM
Congratulations, Gehauser.

Lone paroxysmal vagal atrial fibrillation. Age 62, female, no risk factors. Autonomic instability since severe Paxil withdrawal in 2004, including extreme sensitivity to neuro-active drugs, supplements, foods. Monthly tachycardia started 1/11, happened only at night, during sleep, or when waking, bouts of 5-15 hours. Changed to afib about a year ago, same pattern. Frequency increased over last 6 months, apparently with sensitivity to more triggers. Ablation 6/27/13 by Steven Hao.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login